Sonoma County Distilling Co.

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ran across this bottling in a local market this week. The label claims this is not sourced bourbon, but rather something produced entirely in CA. I bought a bottle, but have yet to open it; I'll post my impressions when that happens. I must admit that when I first saw the label, my inner comedian though it should read  "California: 2362 miles west of Kentucky"

I contacted them yesterday to request some time for a tour of their facility and an interview of sorts. Looking forward to hearing back.

IMG_20160515_155755.jpg

IMG_20160515_155802.jpg

Hmmmm......aged a minimum of one year. It'll be interesting to read your thoughts Boss, but my cynical side says it ain't gonna be pretty.

At least it's unfiltered :D

Yeah, I'm wondering if there might be just a little pressure to bring it to market. Could be tasty though; I'm not going to condemn it without giving it a try. I'll open it tomorrow night and let y'all know what I think.

I am skeptical as well. If it is 100% whiskey aged only 1 year and if no flavoring is added, I believe it will be swill. You may be able to use it in your windshield washer or use it to start a bonfire.

It's a little early to be drinking on a workday, but I just opened the bottle and it certainly smells like bourbon, though the nose has a bit of that "laboratory" odor that is so strong in the Potrero whiskeys. I got caught up in doing way too many things in the last few days, so I wasn't much in the mood for drinking at night. TGIF however; I'll give it a shot. We'll see if it tastes like bourbon.

At worst it may be a contender for a home barrelling experiment..... At best something of a find.  Like others have said, the age makes me sceptical too.

Looking forward to hearing what you think :)

I went to a tasting at a local shop and had the wheat, cherrywood rye, and the bourbon.  They're on the right path but the price is high and everything tastes young.  

I tried it this last weekend. There are a complex set of flavors in there, though I find the signal to noise ratio fairly low. The first comparison that came to mind was Thedford Colonial Style Bourbon, for those of you who remember it. That's not as scathing an indictment as it might appear on the surface; I think this whiskey has potential, but it needs to go back in the barrel and stay there for at least three more years.

It is extremely rare when the Boss posts on bourbon. It is always a pleasure to read what he has to say given his extensive knowledge and precise way of writing. It sounds like a young flavour which needs more aging...

Gary

• 1 year later...

Tried this at a Whiskey Expo last night, and I agree totally with your last line Jim.... this stuff needs more barrel time.  Their Rye on the other hand was one of the most unusual Ryes I've come across.  If you'd told me I was drinking aged Gin with berry or juniper flavor, Id have believed it.  Interesting, but not enough for me to drop the AU $100 plus asking price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.