What bottle did you open today? Spring 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been meaning to start this topic for a while now, but haven't had the chance to do since I have had too many bottles open.

We brag and congratulate each other on the latest find or LE score in the "What did you purchase" thread. We mourn and support each other when we finish a old stand by or those hard to come by bottles in the "Empty Bottle Support Group" thread. We even laugh at ridiculous prices or shake our heads at the one that got away in the "What did you pass up today" thread. But I have come to realize that we never celebrate when a bottle gets to burst its top and share its wonderful aromas with someone who is looking to consume it rather than flip it! So moving forward, lets celebrate and rejoice the opening of a bottle. It makes no difference if it is a replacement for your go to pour or getting your friends together to open that prized bottle of Pappy you never thought you would win at the store lottery.

With that said, I will kick things off. Tonight I opened my first bottle of regular Buffalo Trace in years. I just finished my first bottle a friend gave me back in 2008 that got lost in the back of the cabinet and then forgotten about until we moved. Definitely a difference in taste between the two, but I am sure it will come around more once it gets some air.

So lets here what else is being opened these days.

Edited by elmossle

This is a great thread idea. 

My most recent opening is a SAOS 7yr. I'd been sitting on it for a while. I had previously finished both a 7 and 10yr and much preferred the 7yr. Prices on these have gone up quite a bit around here so the 7yr has now passed the quality to price ratio so this is likely my last bottle of this.

For what it's worth, this bottle is as good as I remember.

I agree with the two posts in this thread so far: "GREAT IDEA" for a thread. 

Let's open and enjoy 'em!      Posting such an event is just a way of extending the celebration to all on the forum who can appreciate it, and participate vicariously; so let's have at it!

I recently opened a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit that was bought on the trip down to the Spring Sampler.    A very nice pour indeed.

A week or so before that I opened my last (Boo-Hoo!) bottle of HHSS (SB.Com Pick #1) in anticipation of my Birthday celebration.     Man!   Now that is a stellar pour!

Last week I opened a Seasoned Wood.  The first pour seemed so-so, nothing really noteworthy either good or bad, but I revisited it again this weekend and it really came alive, much more vibrant.

Edited by dcbt

Took one of my CEHT SW over to a friends for a cookout and bon-fire, it wasn't all that bad, -I've seen a few mixed reviews about it, The nose took a bit to open up, but still good, and the taste was different, had a sort of sherry or something that I really couldn't pin down, my buddy's wife really liked it. I also brought over a open bottle of CEHT CO to compare it with, and I still like that the best.

Last week I opened a paper label 7 year Weller SR 1.75L.  This showed up as a surprize at a local store several years after it went NAS.  I looked at it in my bunker and thought, I bought these to drink.  I'm not trying to wait until kingdom come.  It's a nice everyday type of pour, nothing spectacular.  I get sort of an apple core aftertaste (like if you're eating an apple and bite a seed).     

Opened a Store Select bottle of Blanton's that had just gotten pushed back on the shelf and in the bag so I forgot it was a store select... pretty good though as it always is

Also great idea for a thread

Recently, I opened a WTRB 112.8.  Turkey continues to blow me away with each product I try.

I opened a newly purchased OWA last week, and can proudly report that this 750 was hitting on all cylinders, right out of the gate! 

I'm gonna open my recently purchased bottle of Larceny tonight. It's been a while since I've had any Larceny. Hope it's as good as I remember.

Larceny is always good but I am on vacation and couldn't find it.  So, I bought and opened a standard Knob Creek. Kind of ubiquitous for bourbon.  There is a reason.  It is a nice dependable bourbon. 

Just opened a RHF.  Been a few years since I've had this so looking forward to spending some time with it.

Opened an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Release 9.  Damn.  I'm not a fanboy for EC12, but damn, at full strength, I am speechless.  It is bourbon nectar.  Great mouth feel.  From a Glencairn, the viscosity and richness of flavor stand out.  What would BT taste like at full strength?  McKenna?  Inquiring minds want to know?

19 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Opened an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Release 9.  Damn.  I'm not a fanboy for EC12, but damn, at full strength, I am speechless.  It is bourbon nectar.  Great mouth feel.  From a Glencairn, the viscosity and richness of flavor stand out.  What would BT taste like at full strength?  McKenna?  Inquiring minds want to know?

With BTyou get a hint with Stagg, Stagg Jr., and CEHT BP.  I have never seen a bottling of BT greater than 90 proof.  I would say the same thing about HMCK but I am not sure if it is aged in the same location as EC.  Similar to BT, I have never seen HMCK above the standard proof of 100. Of course,  I have had private selections of both but I don't believe they bottle them above the standard proof for the brand.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Got halfway down this thread after two BTs neat and a KC neat (and ample ginger ale on the side) and decided I' cannot do this thread justice by posting something coherent.  GREAT THREAD!!

Poop.  This is my SECOND edit.  I missed some typos on the first try.  Good thing I'm retired -my boss would be pissed.  [Hi, Ollie.  How you doing?]

Edited by Harry in WashDC
drunk typing is a nono so removed a few typos.

mbroo:

I was on a roll.  I should have thought for a bit before posting.  Damn.  Smile.

EV

7 minutes ago, El Vino said:

mbroo:

I was on a roll.  I should have thought for a bit before posting.  Damn.  Smile.

EV

Haha...we know what you meant. A friend participated in an HKCM barrel selection and told me they tried to get it at BP to no avail.  I think every barrel selection should be available with the option of BP or standard ptoof. I will make that a policy when I own a distillery. Which will be never.

Not today but within the past week:  GTS 141.8 and a store selected FRSB OESO 110.2 proof.

I've been hitting the upper shelf recently.

On 5/26/2016 at 9:29 PM, El Vino said:

Welcome to the ECBP club!  (not to be confused with the "cult")

Opened a Bookers 2013-6 this evening.

7 years, 6 months @125.9 proof.

The first glass was very enjoyable.

I opened a Canadian Club Sherry Cask, which nobody should ever buy. It's old but it should stay in the annals of history. Although I DO admit it adds a nice kick to a bourbon which may be bitter and molassessy - new word christened.

Also opened a Canadian club Reserve 10yr. Another fail. No use found yet.

Lastly, opened a CR NH before the sampler - excellent. I'll be buying a 12 case of this on Tuesday when my local store manager is back in store. Screw this $100+ bottle nonsense.

15 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Opened a Bookers 2013-6 this evening.

7 years, 6 months @125.9 proof.

The first glass was very enjoyable.

I have a bottle of that.  No idea when I will get to it, but I wondered how it was holding up.  Thx.

As promised in the 'What did you buy' thread here is the brief and preliminary (maybe even perfunctory?) report on the bottle Col. E.H. Taylor Seasoned Wood that I grabbed last Thursday afternoon.

I opened it for a very small pour Friday, and was greatly surprised at the profile greeting my palate.    But, I guess first I should mention the interesting, pleasant (if thin) nose.    Somewhat different than any wheater I've yet encountered, yet not in line with a more traditional rye based Bourbon either.   Not unpleasant, but very quick to dissipate, if not trapped with a cover of some sort. 

As to the palate... The info on the packaging mentioned a citrus note that I should expect.    BOY, was there a citrus note!    I was immediately put in mind of accidentally chewing into a big bite of lemon or orange rind.    VERY sharply sour, even  bitter.    After making peace with that, I was less put off by that note and began to find at least a little more going on, with a bit of caramel, and a good deal of tannic oak notes... not altogether unpleasant; but, the palate was overall a departure, again, from any wheater with which I'm familiar.

I poured a decent pour of it yesterday, and was a bit less surprised, but no less perplexed to find pretty much the same impressions as Friday's small pour.    After a bit of water, even more of the citrus rind came up...blah.   I can't say, so far that I love it much.    Individual palates differ, of course; and my own palate-variability of impressions from one day to the next may have more than a little to do with this, of course.     Maybe a couple bad-taste days in a row?

I'll leave the bottle open for a little while today, and re-visit this alongside other EHT's in a few days.

Today I opened a bottle of Woodinville Whiskey Co.'s American Straight Whiskey, 80 proof.  WWC is one of Washington State's original craft distilleries.  Their first whiskey offerings were micro-barreled to get the stuff out there.  Now, their American Straight Whiskey and Bourbon Whiskey (90 proof) are available.  The grains come from E Washington and once barreled in Woodinville , the product ages in E Washington, with four seasons each year.  No, I don't have any affiliation, but do like the unique smooth taste of their products.  I'm hoping their great micro-barreled rye will have a full-size barrel release soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.