Please Help With Jefferson's Ocean Voyages

Flyhighx
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My good friend is trying to track down the last two voyages of Jefferson's Ocean that he does not have.  I'm trying to help him out with this but need a little help here.  He needs voyage 2 and 3.  I've come across the 3 in the past so I'm confident that I can find that again eventually but the voyage 2 is proving problematic.  In fact, I'm having a hard time even knowing what to look for.  I'm pretty sure it was from voyage 3 on it says what voyage it was on the neck but was there any such ID on the voyage 2?  How can I tell what voyage a voyage 1 or two was?  I know the silhouette on the voyage 1 is different than the current silhouette but what about the voyage 2?  Is there any help anyone can give me to ID a voyage 2 compared to a voyage 1?

Regarding this project, I'd tell you friend to abandon ship.  (Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.)  Aren't they up to like voyage 5 or so now, though?  Sorry, not clued into Jefferson too much as I have an inherent dislike of Jefferson's NDP secrecy (at least since JPS 17 and some of 18).  Good luck on tracking down the intel though.  There isn't a lot of Jefferson chatter around here. 

3 hours ago, Flyhighx said:

My good friend is trying to track down the last two voyages of Jefferson's Ocean that he does not have.  I'm trying to help him out with this but need a little help here.  He needs voyage 2 and 3.  I've come across the 3 in the past so I'm confident that I can find that again eventually but the voyage 2 is proving problematic.  In fact, I'm having a hard time even knowing what to look for.  I'm pretty sure it was from voyage 3 on it says what voyage it was on the neck but was there any such ID on the voyage 2?  How can I tell what voyage a voyage 1 or two was?  I know the silhouette on the voyage 1 is different than the current silhouette but what about the voyage 2?  Is there any help anyone can give me to ID a voyage 2 compared to a voyage 1?

This post from March 2014 has a picture of the 1st and 2nd Jeff Ocean which I have reprised here.

Jeff Ocean's.JPG

The original (and best, if rather rare and overly expensive) is on the left and says "Special Bottling" on the neck with a bright white label and a black ship silhouette. It also notes it is a Kentucky bourbon. The neck of the second batch says "OCEAN" and is in a more khaki brown color with a grey ship silhouette that is the same as the original batch in shape but different in color. Until I get home I couldn't tell you if it says batch 2 anywhere, But future batches went to a silhouette that looked more like a cargo ship so it is definitely different. The Kentucky bourbon designation was dropped on Batch 2 as well (it was MGP) and it "sailed" on a cargo ship for a few months after aging about 7 years at MGP. The original was only 4 years old but aged entirely on the smaller research vessel (or so it was claimed) and as the picture indicates definitely had more color and to me more flavor than the older Batch 2.

7 hours ago, dcbt said:

Aren't they up to like voyage 5 or so now, though?  

I thought it was 7

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

This post from March 2014 has a picture of the 1st and 2nd Jeff Ocean which I have reprised here.

Jeff Ocean's.JPG

The original (and best, if rather rare and overly expensive) is on the left and says "Special Bottling" on the neck with a bright white label and a black ship silhouette. It also notes it is a Kentucky bourbon. The neck of the second batch says "OCEAN" and is in a more khaki brown color with a grey ship silhouette that is the same as the original batch in shape but different in color. Until I get home I couldn't tell you if it says batch 2 anywhere, But future batches went to a silhouette that looked more like a cargo ship so it is definitely different. The Kentucky bourbon designation was dropped on Batch 2 as well (it was MGP) and it "sailed" on a cargo ship for a few months after aging about 7 years at MGP. The original was only 4 years old but aged entirely on the smaller research vessel (or so it was claimed) and as the picture indicates definitely had more color and to me more flavor than the older Batch 2.

That is all FANTASTIC information.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thank You so much!!!

I thought at some point later batches were labeled as "Kentucky Straight..." again but only finished at sea like Batch 2.  I have Batch 2 as shown above.  It is an interesting experiment but I cannot say that the taste is worth the $80-ish I paid for it.  I continue to pass when I see new batches (sitting on the shelves of several local stores).  I would have liked to try Batch 1 though, as that seemed to garner some praise.

Jason

20 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I thought it was 7

I've seen Batch 8 here in California, believe it or not. Time sure flies when you're aging bourbon at sea.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I've seen Batch 8 here in California, believe it or not. Time sure flies when you're aging bourbon at sea.

:D

Edited by Harry in WashDC
SB has no "like" button so . . .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.