What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2016

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good day today. Picked up an older bottling of Longbow 18, a Cask Strength Clynelish (G&M) and a Macallan 18 (G&M bottling) which was under £60.

Picked up a CB Eleuthera, and a Clynelish Distiller's Edition (2012).  Looking forward to hopefully trying both this long weekend!

20160901_192551.jpg

I found a good deal on some Glendronach so I added an 18 and two 21's to the bunker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, skiwez2 said:

20160907_163437.jpg

did a little traveling a couple of weeks ago and picked up the attached. Anyone have any info on them?

I tried the Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold this spring while in the UK, and the bartender was nice enough to pour a 1/2 oz taste of the Dalwhinnie 15 so I could do a side by side.  I enjoyed it, and thought it was a half-notch above their standard (maybe a tad deeper, more rich), but still a very mellow and understated pour for my palate.  

thanks got all 3 at the duty free. still dabbling my toes in single malts. got the bug when I went to Scotland last year. mostly a bourbon fan

On 7/23/2016 at 7:48 AM, portwood said:

Quotepocalypse!

On 9/4/2016 at 7:16 AM, beasled said:

Ledaig 10, Kilkerran 12 and Springbank 12 CS acquired over the weekend. Cheers all!

I know the rest of this forum is chomping at the bit for the fall releases of "the good stuff," and I totally would be if I thought I could get any of it.  Particularly Mr. Elliott's first take on FRSmBLE, as it looks to be a good one.  No, my friends, I have given up on that.  The majority of the stores around here have given up on lotteries and are doing camp out events, marking up to secondary, or selling to big spenders.  I don't have the time or the money for any of that.

No, my friends.  I want to know two things: when the heck is Kilkerran 12 going to land on the east coast, and why do I want to spend $220 so badly on that single cask of Hazelburn 18 that K&L just got in?

6 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

No, my friends.  I want to know two things: when the heck is Kilkerran 12 going to land on the east coast, and why do I want to spend $220 so badly on that single cask of Hazelburn 18 that K&L just got in?

Can't answer the first, but the second makes complete sense to me!  The value prop there is way more grounded in what's in the @#$% bottle than the "fall insanity" with our native spirits.  I also have zero expectation of getting any LEs for the same reason.  When there will be 13k+ bottles of WLW (12+ yr CS wheater) that would cost me double that 18yr CS single malt (of which the bottle count is . .  well, significantly less than 13k!), I'm not interested.  I'm sure it is delicious whiskey, but who cares if you can't get it?

6 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I know the rest of this forum is chomping at the bit for the fall releases of "the good stuff," and I totally would be if I thought I could get any of it.  Particularly Mr. Elliott's first take on FRSmBLE, as it looks to be a good one.  No, my friends, I have given up on that.  The majority of the stores around here have given up on lotteries and are doing camp out events, marking up to secondary, or selling to big spenders.  I don't have the time or the money for any of that.

According to Kilkerran's Facebook post on Sep 2, "the first shipment is somewhere on a boat between Campbeltown and the USA at the moment so it should be available next month." 

I'd be all over the Hazelburn 18 too!

It's nice to have some Campbeltown fans to relate with :).  I could go broke even just diving into Springer's random single casks that are available in Chicago.

Speaking of which I couldn't resist picking up a second bottle of the Springbank 12yo Burgundy Matured yesterday since, a bit surprisingly, it was still on the shelf.

Will have to give some thought to the Hazelburn 18. Going to be pretty spendy!

Took my car in for routine maintenance, walked out with a loaner and bill for $2k worth of repairs, plus another $1600+ of repairs that will need to happen in the next year.  We were hoping to make my car last another year to 18 months, but it looks like I'll be getting a replacement for Christmas.  Yay . . . A more expensive thing that gets me from point A to point B . . .

With that and my solo trip to Kentucky next week, I should probably not be spending any money, but I stopped by a liquor for a six pack of beer on the way home from the service center (for obvious reasons), and discovered that a giant shipment of new Signatory and G&M whiskies had made it into the state. Almost bought a G&M Cask Strength hoggie Caol Ila 9 yr, but noticed a Signatory Vintage (fancy decanter bottle) First Fill Sherry Ledaig.  Decided to see what all the hype was about.  Cask 900170, 61.3% ABV, Nov 2004 - Feb 2015, in case anyone was curious.  If I hadn't just opened that IB sherried Bowmore, this would be getting opened tonight.

Took advantage of Astor's 15% off scotch sale for a local delivery to my office.  Nothing crazy, but picked up some Oban, Lagavulin and Talisker Distillers Editions, another Glendronach 15 Revival (can't have too many imho once it goes away for good) and an Ardbeg Corryvreckan (picked up a Uigeadail during their last 15% off sale, and it's great).

Last purchase for a while (he says), Tobermory 15. Paid slightly more than I would have liked, but less than I would have elsewhere. One to savour. 

Picked up a Glendronach 21 year and a Millstone barrel proof from TWE. The Millstone is the older version of the two they had for sale. Looking forward to both.

5 hours ago, Spade said:

Picked up a Glendronach 21 year and a Millstone barrel proof from TWE. The Millstone is the older version of the two they had for sale. Looking forward to both.

The 21 yr is spectacular 

Purchased the new Macallan 12 Double Cask yesterday. I couldn't resist a new AGE STATED Macallan. 

Opened it it up last night with a friend who is a Scotch drinker. We both liked it very much. Very easy drinking and a well balanced Sherry influence. 

16 hours ago, Spade said:

I have a bottle of the Millstone, let us know what you think. 

I've had the 100 Rye which was spectacular. 

A local SB'er (you know who you are, thank you again!) graciously passed along a few Mac CS and I grabbed the burgundy Springer. Good stuff for this winter.

image.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Auracom said:

A local SB'er (you know who you are, thank you again!) graciously passed along a few Mac CS and I grabbed the burgundy Springer. Good stuff for this winter.

image.jpeg

Wow

never see Macallan Cask Strength in MN

1 hour ago, BigPapa said:

Wow

never see Macallan Cask Strength in MN

Discontinued for some time now. The only reason I was offered these is because my friend had a fair number of them bunkered away.

5 hours ago, Auracom said:

image.jpeg

That Mac CS is some dark looking whisky! Since I know what the Springer Burgundy looks like I know it is a little darker than normal in the pic but still, pretty dark!  Isuppose the boxes behind it is part of the reason.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.