Jump to content

What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2016


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

garbanzobean

The Euro actually took a hit as well.  I think I got a $1:€1.11ish exchange rate on this.  Since The Whiskybase Shop typically has better prices and cheaper shipping for the same products, I typically try there first.  TWE is probably the best choice if you're dropping a ton of money on single bottles though, since they seem to be better about shipping things correctly to the U.S.  WB Shop doesn't always follow proper procedures, though they usually do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • garbanzobean

    35

  • beasled

    25

  • tanstaafl2

    16

  • meadeweber

    10

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

garbanzobean

Received my 1977/2015 a Speyside Distillery (Serge got all scandalous and suggested it might be Glenfarclas) in the mail today.  Looking forward to opening that on a special occasion.

 

edit: for curious minds, it arrived very well packaged and in perfect condition.  Less than 5 business days after I ordered it.  

Edited by garbanzobean
Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some of the old bottling of Black Bottle. There were seven on the shelf. I grabbed three and left four for someone else to find. This is one of the best values in all of whisk(e)y in my humble opinion. I haven't tried the new version, but with the reviews I've read I'm not in any rush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Found a Yamazaki 12 year for $81.00 and had to grab it. Such a good whisky!!

 

Sigh. I remember the days when the Yamazaki 18 could be had for about that price. And it wasn't that long ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites
garbanzobean
9 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

Sigh. I remember the days when the Yamazaki 18 could be had for about that price. And it wasn't that long ago!

I can still occasionally get it on sale for the old old price of around $60, but I'm not sure it is really worth it to me given my lukewarm feelings for it.  I might take a shot if I see it again, though I was sort of trying to talk myself into buying another Taketsuru 17 while that's still on shelves.

 

Springbank Local Barley has hit DC @ around $170, and I just can't pull the trigger.  Thinking I'll grab another Springbank 12 green and a 13 green instead.  On the theory that two is one, and one is none.

Edited by garbanzobean
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2016 at 10:08 AM, Auracom said:
43 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Springbank Local Barley has hit DC @ around $170, and I just can't pull the trigger.  Thinking I'll grab another Springbank 12 green and a 13 green instead.  On the theory that two is one, and one is none.

 

SB 16 Local barley showed up in Canada for about the same price (Cdn$220). As much of a SB fan as I am, I also couldn't pull the trigger. It may be "limited" but its a lot of money for a 16yo whisky!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up another 2015 Flaming Heart.  Felt like it would be some type of crime to leave it languishing on the shelf like a forgotten child

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
garbanzobean

Kilkerran WIP 7 Sherry and Bourbon wood.  It occurred to me that Kilkerran is unlikely to release 11 year old cask strength ex bourbon whisky for $80 once the 12 year makes it stateside, so I decided I wanted another backup.  And I wanted to try the sherry wood anyway, so this seemed like a good excuse.  The reviews so far of the 12 year are very good, so I'm excited to compare the WIP releases I was able to get to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought three WIP 7 bourbon's and am unconvinced that was enough. Any idea when 12 year might reach the US?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see some Kilkerran love here. Picked up the 12 myself today. Looking forward to trying it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
garbanzobean
3 hours ago, beasled said:

Glad to see some Kilkerran love here. Picked up the 12 myself today. Looking forward to trying it. 

 

I rarely have trouble waiting for releases to hit the states, but this is one I might have to order overseas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very much in the same boat, Eric. Saw it for pre-order on MOM this morning and so very very close to adding a bunch to the cart...

Link to post
Share on other sites
garbanzobean

My favorite bottle shop was having their annual employee pricing sale, so I stopped by on the way home and picked up a bottle of Springbank 12 Cask Strength and a bottle of Compass Box Spice Tree.  Total bill was $135.80.  Heck yeah.  I probably should have bought a Springbank 15 as well.  Next time . . . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was meandering through a couple of stores earlier this week and stumbled on this new release from Springbank. Apparently it has only been out a few weeks but I somehow missed hearing about its release. Reviews seem positive so we shall see. A blend of barrels fully matured for 12 years in Burgundy casks and released at cask strength of 107 pf.

 

Haven't tried it yet but sounds promising!

 

Springbank 12 Burgundy 1.JPGSpringbank 12 Burgundy 2.JPG

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kilchoman Machir Bay found its way to Phoenix.  I was totally surprised to find it on the store shelf, it's not even on the TW&M website yet.  .  :)

It's not my favorite time of year for peated whisky, but I am happy to have found it.

Edited by Darwin
Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 19, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Darwin said:

Kilchoman Machir Bay found its way to Phoenix.  I was totally surprised to find it on the store shelf, it's not even on the website yet.  .  :)

It's not my favorite time of year for peated whisky, but I am happy to have found it.

Are you sure you are talking about "Machir Bay"?  That's their basic offering and the one that every store around here has. As they state on their website (yes it is on their website) it's their "flagship" expression.  

 

I have a Single Cask sherry but have not tried the Machir Bay. Let us know how it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Are you sure you are talking about "Machir Bay"?  That's their basic offering and the one that every store around here has. As they state on their website (yes it is on their website) it's their "flagship" expression.  

 

I have a Single Cask sherry but have not tried the Machir Bay. Let us know how it is. 

(it's not even on the website yet.) Sorry, my bad.  TW&M did not have it on their website.  I know it's nothing special, just first time I have seen Kilchoman in Phoenix.

 

Edited by Darwin
poor communications
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on a buying break since we came back from Scotland. Well, I finally broke down yesterday when I saw that Nikki Coffey Malt made it to one of my local stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2016 at 2:32 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Was meandering through a couple of stores earlier this week and stumbled on this new release from Springbank. Apparently it has only been out a few weeks but I somehow missed hearing about its release. Reviews seem positive so we shall see. A blend of barrels fully matured for 12 years in Burgundy casks and released at cask strength of 107 pf.

 

Haven't tried it yet but sounds promising!

 

I agree. One of my local guys is holding one aside for me. It sucks that Springbank is so popular right now but no other distillate is similar for my palate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.