Popcorn Sutton Barrel Finished

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was down in TN for a bit, stopped by the Popcorn Sutton distillery (pretty cool with some massive pot stills) and was able to pick up a bottle of this.  I was intrigued because their "moonshine" is one of the better one's out there (no GNS in this one)and I was curious how this would taste.  They use sugar, corn and some barley so its not bourbon.  It was aged in 53 gallon barrels for over 3 years. It's 92 proof.   It has a good amber bourbon color to it.  The nose has alcohol, corn and some vanilla in it.  Tasting it the first thing that hits is a burnt marshmallow taste that I get in younger bourbons.  That changes quickly to vanilla, the vanilla lasts a while with a decent mouthfeel.  This tastes like a younger bourbon with a some promise that if it was aged another year or two it would be pretty good.  Its way better than most of the craft bourbons out there that are barely aged in small barrels.  Is it worth the $49.95 retail?  Probably not but its a cool bottle to have

Interesting they call it barrel finished when most whiskey putting it in the barrel is the beginning. I might try it if I can find it locally.

Yeah since they can't call it bourbon they had to come up with something to convey they aged it in barrels.  I guess barrel aged would have worked but I guess they liked finished better

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.