A few thoughts

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I joined this forum almost 9 years ago.  I don't post very often but I read and live my bourbon experiences lasciviously through the post of the members here.  I marvel at the knowledge here and a bit of it has rubbed off on an old guy like me.  I've learned a bit about myself and bourbon preferences during this past few years.  Thought I would share some thoughts.

1.  I like wheated bourbons a lot.  The first one I had around the time I joined this forum was ORVW 10 year 90 proof.  Loved it, quickly drank my bottle and purchased four more within the first month.   I also bought  two 20 year old, four 15 year old, the 13 year old rye family reserve and several bottles of Lot B.  in a very short period of time I had a nice little collection of the Van Winkle line.  Notice that I had very little trouble here in Chattanooga picking these up.  The most I ever paid was $95 a piece for the 20 year olds.  The 10 year old were less than $30 bucks.  Of course through the forum I found Weller Reserve and Old Weller Antique to be very much in my wheelhouse and readily available so those were purchased as well.  Never stocked piled them because they were so readily available.  This now seems like that I must have been dreaming.  Right now I can not find any Weller Antique or Weller 12 at all.  Van Winkle you can forget about.  I was able to buy 1 bottle of 10 yo ORVW in the spring with a retail price of $65!  I also discovered that I the newer versions of the Van Winkles just don't appeal to me as they did when I first discovered them.  They don't taste the same to me.  I don't seek them out anymore though I will buy if I can them primarily to share a glass with associates who have never tasted the Van Winkle line.  I can be perfectly happy if I have to with Weller Reserve and Larceny but I do hope someone is aging some wheat right now to release.  Maybe Heaven Hills?

2. Learned about Evan Williams Single Barrel here on the forum and purchased a bottle.  It has been and remains a bourbon that really appeals to me.  The price is still very good.  Thankfully I can usually find this one and it seems as though Heaven Hills is on a roll these days though I do wonder how the Parker Beam situation will effect things going forward.

3. Four Roses was introduced to me by the membership here and I have been fortunate enough to have enjoy has excellent bottles of the Single barrel and the Single barrel Special reserves.  Some bottles have really been special to me.  Now with Jim Rutledge going I wonder how this to going to turn out.  Availability has not been a problem to me here except for the special reserve bottles.

4.  You expanded my interest in Scotch as well and I discovered that I loved sherrried malts.  I even bought the Macallan 18 and found it good but that I liked Highland Park 18 better.  I even developed a taste for the Islays with Lagavulin being a favorite.  Learn about Irish Red Breast and Green Spot here and now those are part of the liquor cabinet as well.

5. Discovered I like George Dickel much better than Jack Daniels.

6. Discovered that one should not necessarily make decisions based on preconceived notions.  The Beam small batches didn't interest me.  The first and only one I bought was the Basil Hayden.  Just the description of the Booker's with the alcohol content scared me off.  This preconception continued until very recently and I purchased my first bottle of Booker's.  I learned that I love it.  Now I am anxious to try Baker's and Knob Creek as well.

7.  I've learned that I need to stay more informed and not take a long hiatus from the forum and miss the news about releases.  I don't particularly like the chasing of bottles but not staying informed prevented me from obtaining the Parker Heritage Collection thus far and the Booker's 25th though given my preconceptions regarding Booker's I doubt that I would have purchased it.

8. I've learned to drink the way I enjoy it. Sometimes that is neat, sometimes with spring water, sometimes with ice and sometimes in an Old Fashioned.  I am just as apt to put in William Larue Weller as I am Weller Special Reserve in an Old Fashion. Seems to me the better the whiskey the better the Old Fashioned.

9.  I've learned that a lot has changed during my inactivity here on the forum.  Several members that provided tremendous contributions to the group are no longer with us.  May they rest in peace.  It's a journey we all must make.

10. Learned that I have a lot to learn.  I may be the only person on the planet that has never tasted Jim Beam white.  Again one of those preconceptions.  I may have to test that one as well. What do you think?

11. Realize that I must make a trip to bourbon country and go to one of the Straightbourbon events at the Gazebo.

Long post I know.  Just considered it the ramblings of an old man but wanted to let you guys know how much you've increased my general knowledge and how much I depend on you guys to help guide my buying decisions.  You keep on teaching and I will keep on learning.  Looking forward to meeting some of you guys soon at one of the events in Bardstown.

Excellent post! Yes, you must make a pilgrimage to the bourbon holy lands, stepping inside the rick houses and just breathing is an experience.

Well said Dave.  We all learn a ton here, and I havent been on much in the past year either.  Most of what you have learned I have as well.  Id add #12.  The people on this forum are kind, openhearted, and willing to share.  

#2 I love EWSB

#4 Im getting guys together for a once a month scotch tasting

#5 Dickle is way better imo

#8 drink how you like.  You are welcome to put wlw in whatever you want, just dont do it if im sharing my bottle with you.  

Edited by jonhalter

Well said, Dave!  I really enjoyed reading your post. 

P. S. I bet you like the JB White!  Perfectly serviceable bourbon, just not the 'cream' of the crop.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

P. S. I bet you like the JB White!  Perfectly serviceable bourbon, just not the 'cream' of the crop.  :lol:

Well I am going to find out.  I understand there is a single barrel one out there now.

1 hour ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Well I am going to find out.  I understand there is a single barrel one out there now.

There sure is. I finished a bottle of JB SB tonight. It is more than acceptable--except that it has to compete with the JB small batch collection in terms of price. Although it is single barrel, I still prefer the KC and Baker's and Booker's.

As another old guy who lurked on the public side of SB for years before joining, I appreciated your post a lot.  Thanks for speaking up and out.

RE: your #10 - what do any of us think about JB White: it was Bottle of the Month in June 2014.  I think this link works -

Lots of incredibly good info on that thread, especially since JB White and Coke was a gateway for so many of us.  I hadn't had any in probably 35 years and, personally, was surprised that, even though I still didn't like it neat, it mixed VERY well with anything including apple sauce (well, it was late, and I just figured . . .)  IMO, the JB bonded is also worth a try - it goes on sale a lot around here.  It won't replace my EWBlack for cocktails for casual drinkers or OGDBIB for me, but it now has a permanent spot on the shelf.  Let us know what you think.

^^^^^I second what Harry said about the JB BIB.  Great pour, at a great price point!

Really enjoyed reading your post TD . . . several of your comments ring true for me as well.

4 hours ago, Swoboda said:

Really enjoyed reading your post TD . . . several of your comments ring true for me as well.

Same here Dave. FWIW, I'm a wheater lover too. :P

Cheers! Joe

Interesting, honest, and pleasant read, even if you thougfht it was kinda long.    A fine post IMHO.

Pick a bottle of JB white up and pour it into a glass, neat.    Let it stand just a few minutes, then enjoy the funky, peanutty character of the worlds best-selling Bourbon.

Not a damned thing wrong with JBW, it just lacks age and proof to be a very nice pour.

Well I purchased one of those really small bottles of JB White today.  Poured in a glass neat.  Got sweet corn , a bit of vanilla.  Not at all complex for sure.  Very short finish.  While I prefer something with more complexity I certainly didn't think that this was "bad" bourbon.  I will probably pick up a bottle of this to have around for some of my friends who are casual bourbon drinkers but really like them watered down.  Should also be okay in an Old Fashioned.  Quite frankly I was pleasantly surprised by how clean tasting and harmless this was.  Glad I tried it.  Now I know.

Good post Dave, by all means try some JBW, think of it as a trip down memory lane.

Great post. I haven't tried the Jim Beam white label either! May have to try it. I did get my hands on some orvw 10yr and plan try it this weekend. I plan to try four roses the next time I go to total wine.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Nice report Dave!  Didn't hurt a bit, did it?  That's the great thing about bourbon, it doesn't have to be rare or expensive to be 'good' (thank God)! 

P. S. I think you'll really enjoy the JB BIB.  That little uptick in proof sure seems to work for me... 

11 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Well I purchased one of those really small bottles of JB White today.  Poured in a glass neat.  Got sweet corn , a bit of vanilla.  Not at all complex for sure.  Very short finish.  While I prefer something with more complexity I certainly didn't think that this was "bad" bourbon.  I will probably pick up a bottle of this to have around for some of my friends who are casual bourbon drinkers but really like them watered down.  Should also be okay in an Old Fashioned.  Quite frankly I was pleasantly surprised by how clean tasting and harmless this was.  Glad I tried it.  Now I know.

Very nice opening post, Dave.  Thank you for taking the time to gather your thoughts and to share them with us.  I look forward to meeting you one day at a SB function.

For me, I put Beam White Label in this context:  I've never had any craft distilled bourbon, regardless of how ballyhooed it is, pretty packaging, or exorbitant price, that remotely approaches the quality of JBW. 

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Very nice opening post, Dave.  Thank you for taking the time to gather your thoughts and to share them with us.  I look forward to meeting you one day at a SB function.

For me, I put Beam White Label in this context:  I've never had any craft distilled bourbon, regardless of how ballyhooed it is, pretty packaging, or exorbitant price, that remotely approaches the quality of JBW. 

That is an EXCELLENT point, Joe. I don't care for JBW but would likely pick it over any of the craft whiskeys I've tried. A better comparison for me would be the standard HH BIB offerings. If you can't approach the quality of those, I don't care what "heirloom grains" you're using. I ain't buying!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.