Colorado distilleries

bill_B
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Will be vacationing in  southern Colorado later this month. Any local craft bourbons I should pick up a bottle of while in the state?

There are something like 40 distilleries now in Colorado or planned for the near future. But none of them have any bourbon of any age to speak of that I know of (at least that was their own make and not sourced. Tin Cup for example is all sourced MGP bourbon. Breckenridge perhaps comes closest but is available outside Colorado and it still isn't clear if they are making their own, sourcing it or more likely blending the two.

Stranahan's has a little older whiskey typically aged in larger barrels but it is not bourbon of course.

Leopold Bros have also been around now for a while but they also don't make a bourbon as far as I know. The Maryland style rye is good and a 4yo BIB version of that is supposedly coming if not already out. I would try that if i saw it. I was just in Pueblo this week but didn't see any.

Nothing else comes to mind as a must have. Locals might have a different take.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Thanks for the input.

Have seen the Tin Cup, Breckinridge and Strahahan here in Arkansas bUT have not tried any of them. Cant bring myself to pay the $60 ask price on Stranahan.

May look for a bottle of the Leopold Bros Maryland rye. It looks interesting.

Leopold also has a wide variety of fruited whiskies like peach, cherry, and a blackberry (which isn't too bad actually) they're 80proof. I've not yet had a CO whiskey I thought was worth the $50+ price. (Sorry, Stranahan fans.)

Not sure how far west you're going, but if you do get within range of Grand Junction, CO has a very attractive bourgeoning wine region. Easy and fun way to spend a day checking out the wineries, sample at each and enjoy the country. You can rent scooters to get around. 

Speaking about Grand Junction, what about Peach Street? Isn't their bourbon own-make? Had some about 18 mos. ago with a friend who used to live in GJ & seem to remember it being pretty good. But it wasn't the first drink of the night & I wasn't tasting it critically.

15 hours ago, mark fleetwood said:

Leopold also has a wide variety of fruited whiskies like peach, cherry, and a blackberry (which isn't too bad actually) they're 80proof. I've not yet had a CO whiskey I thought was worth the $50+ price. (Sorry, Stranahan fans.)

Not sure how far west you're going, but if you do get within range of Grand Junction, CO has a very attractive bourgeoning wine region. Easy and fun way to spend a day checking out the wineries, sample at each and enjoy the country. You can rent scooters to get around. 

Yeah, Pallisade.

9 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

Speaking about Grand Junction, what about Peach Street? Isn't their bourbon own-make? Had some about 18 mos. ago with a friend who used to live in GJ & seem to remember it being pretty good. But it wasn't the first drink of the night & I wasn't tasting it critically.

Fisher's has a bunch of CO bourbon/whiskey's. Have not tried any of them, maybe someday.

Peach Street is decent enough. Worth a visit to Palisades to taste but not worth the $60+ price tag. Neat bar. I would visit the wineries there also. The are decent and not nearly as crowded as Napa/Sonoma. I usually focus on craft breweries. I did flights at about 30 last summer and plan on doing the same again this August.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, bill_B said:

May look for a bottle of the Leopold Bros Maryland rye. It looks interesting.

In my opinion the Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye is well worth the effort to hunt down while you're there but my recent experience is that it's a little hard to find. I just got back from a family vacation to Colorado and a lot of the liquor stores that typically carry their rye are out. I even emailed the distillery and their shop is out of the rye as well. They do have a feature on their website listing stores that carry their products and after making a dozen calls I found a shop on our planned route that had one bottle in stock. So you may want to call around beforehand and save yourself some time.

Thanks for input guys. We r heading out there tomorrow. Will let you all know if I have any good finds.

• 5 months later...

Been a long while since I've checked in here. Glad to see a section on micros . I've had Leopold , both their bourbon (labeled as American whiskey, I think) and rye. Although youngish, I felt they showed good promise. 

Anyone know if their bonded rye ever came out?

Edited by jinenjo

15 hours ago, jinenjo said:

Been a long while since I've checked in here. Glad to see a section on micros . I've had Leopold , both their bourbon (labeled as American whiskey, I think) and rye. Although youngish, I felt they showed good promise. 

Anyone know if their bonded rye ever came out?

Report from the Leopold Bros. in another post in SB.com was that for the near future the BIB Maryland Style Rye was going to be distillery only.

Also some interesting pictures in that post and the thread in general.

Great pics. Not sure if I saw those. I did keep an eye on that thread. I just figured their bond would've been out by now. I know they've been pretty responsive on that thread. I'll have to ask them if it's going to get a wide release

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.