RIP Old Van Winkle - 10 Year

morebourbon85
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here. Since then, I've tried a good amount of bourbons, so thank you all for the recommendations. Anyways, to the topic...Anyone receive an email from total wine regarding the van winkle line and stores having limited availability? I received the email yesterday along with a couple friends who don't drink bourbon, so i used their vouchers. I paid $79.99/each. I do realize it's probably not the best bourbon out there and is more of a trophy for Bourbon drinkers.

Anyone here able to take advantage of this?

I'm not on TW's mailing list, but I paid about the same price for a bottle not too long ago. I do like the ORVW 10/107 a lot. The price, like that of all the other Van Winkle's is starting to get ridiculous though. I remember paying $39.99 for it just two years ago. I'm glad I have a few bottles of both the old and new label in my cabinet. I'll enjoy those while I can. Whenever it finally shows up on the shelves around here, I can still get OWA at a fairly decent price. I'm gonna go with the OWA from now on, when and if I can find any. Just my two cents.

Cheers! Joe

Haven't had the OWA...Yeah, i figure it's not the best out there, but it's one of those you have to try if you're a fan. Looks like people pay in the hundreds for the 10 and up in the black market, which isn't guaranteed to be real. I'll probably be greedy and keep the three 10yrs to myself, ha. Maybe I'll gift one down the road...who knows.

I bought my last ORVW in 2014 for $70, and vowed never to buy another unless prices fall (which I have zero expectation of happening).  

It isn't that there is anything wrong with it, but I couldn't count the number of bottles on both hands and feet which cost considerably less and that I enjoy just as much.  I'm not mad about the huge price jump (like Joe - I remember paying $35-$40 a few years ago - and for that price I was a buyer!)  Honestly, I think they need to respond to the market, and they can't keep it on the shelves at that price.  But thankfully we all have different tastes and different values when it comes to what something is worth.  If we all liked the same thing - it'd be awfully boring!!

I'm with Joe 110% on OWA.  While not as readily available as it was a couple of years ago, I can find it often enough to replenish and it doesn't hurt nearly as much (and fulfills that higher-proof wheater craving almost as well as ORWV.  If you haven't had that, I would definitely go out of your way to try that - and do yourself a favor and compare the two in a blind tasting.  You might find those extra years on the ORVW really hit you just right, and are well worth it (and you'll be glad to have those extras in the bunker!)  Or you may find that isn't the case, and can go from there.  

3 hours ago, Thig said:

OWA is as rare here as the Winkle line of products.

That's really sad, OWA might just be my #1 of all time considering price and availability. I would be a sad man if I couldn't find that one anymore too.

That's really sad, OWA might just be my #1 of all time considering price and availability. I would be a sad man if I couldn't find that one anymore too.

OWA used to be readily available in NJ, on the shelves everywhere as of a couple of years ago. In the new bourbon environment, I haven't seen a bottle on a shelf in a couple of years now. Fortunately, I am well stocked at home, but I can't suggest to friends anymore that they pick up a bottle. Weller 12, forget about it, but again I have some fortunately.

On 6/14/2016 at 7:12 PM, Thig said:

OWA is as rare here as the Winkle line of products.

Not sure whereabouts in Georgia, but I know as recently as last year there were a couple stores in/around Atlanta that had private picks.  A friend snagged me a family-size from one of them, which is still holding up :)  

Atlanta is a totally different GA, haha. Nothing makes it south of I285. I am in middle GA and everyone down this way knows there are 2 different Georgias in more ways than one.

Lol a liquor store just tried selling me a bottle of George T Stagg for $550 saying it's comparable to pappy van winkle.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, morebourbon85 said:

Lol a liquor store just tried selling me a bottle of George T Stagg for $550 saying it's comparable to pappy van winkle.

I'd say it's better than Pappy Van Winkle. Still wouldn't pay that much though.

Yeah I wouldn't pay nearly thay close for pap either

Another vote for ignoring the Van Winkles in favor of OWA.

Great taste is great taste, but one's foot must go down somewhere on price.

38 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Another vote for ignoring the Van Winkles in favor of OWA.

Great taste is great taste, but one's foot must go down somewhere on price.

The hotel I'm staying at for the KBA has a private barrel of OWA that is as good as any ORVW I've had and is even better than some. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.