What bottle did you open today? Summer 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Uh oh Joe......that '07 WLW is awfully close to being history :(

Opened a bottle of Rebel Yell 10yr, thought it was very good and originally thought I might pick up another bottle but then compared it to HMckenna and thought I'd just buy more of it for less money and the RY10 reminded me of the HMckenna so why pay more...

23 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Fishnbowljoe, Please tell us how it is, so that we can live vicariously. Anything close to today's Weller 107?

I'll give it a try. BTW, yes you can tell it's related to OWA.

The older ORVW 10/107 is somewhat of a dusty and has some of the characteristics of some of the older dusties that many of us like. It isn't quite as thick and vicious as some older stuff, but it more than holds it's own. The bottle I have has that slightly burnt pecan pie smell and flavor that I love. Whereas some dusties have a butterscotch or caramel flavor too, the ORVW 10/107 seems to have more of a vanilla wafer smell and flavor to it. It also has a hint of a spicy edge to it. There is also some barrel influence that I like to refer to as "oak and smoke". In other words, a bit of smokiness and oak that is present in the flavor in a good way. The "oak and smoke" is by no means overbearing. It actually adds to the overall enjoyment of the Old Rip. All in all it's a great bourbon. It's just too bad that in the current bourbon boom, the cost has become somewhat prohibitive. I won't say what the price was on the last "new" bottle I bought, but the price tag on one of my old label/bottles of ORVW 10/107 was $37.50. Sad to say, but those days and prices are now long gone. 

Cheers! Joe

Broke the seal on my first-ever bottle of Buffalo Trace. Very smooth, almost sweet compared to the FRSB PS OESK I tasted the night before.

Could just be just less alcohol, but it seem to have much less bite as well.  Good first impressions.

5 hours ago, Hop said:

Opened a bottle of Rebel Yell 10yr, thought it was very good and originally thought I might pick up another bottle but then compared it to HMckenna and thought I'd just buy more of it for less money and the RY10 reminded me of the HMckenna so why pay more...

I did too. Has a great nose but then falls short for me. Just not enough of a wheater profile here and too much of the traditional Heaven Hill characteristics that Hop notes make it even similar to a McKenna. I find this true of Larceny too. If you like Larceny this is an obvious improvement on age and proof and you will enjoy. I prefer my Heaven Hill with stone fruit flavors, most common in good Elijah Craig's.  Maybe something the rye mash brings out of the HH yeast and the wheat as a secondary grain doesn't. 

8 hours ago, T Comp said:

I did too. Has a great nose but then falls short for me. Just not enough of a wheater profile here and too much of the traditional Heaven Hill characteristics that Hop notes make it even similar to a McKenna. I find this true of Larceny too. If you like Larceny this is an obvious improvement on age and proof and you will enjoy. I prefer my Heaven Hill with stone fruit flavors, most common in good Elijah Craig's.  Maybe something the rye mash brings out of the HH yeast and the wheat as a secondary grain doesn't. 

Bummer. I have not found a wheater from HH that I like(HHSS excepted). Was hoping this one would be a winner. Really nothing but the elusive Rip 10/107 in that class of wheaters as far as age and proof. 

I opened a ps FRSB today after work. It's the regular OBSV 100 proof, but damn it's good.:P FWIW, I had this one kinda stashed towards the back of the shelf. It was the last one of these that I have, and I've been holding onto it for over a year now. I figured it was about time. :)

Cheers! Joe

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'll give it a try. BTW, yes you can tell it's related to OWA.

The older ORVW 10/107 is somewhat of a dusty and has some of the characteristics of some of the older dusties that many of us like. It isn't quite as thick and vicious as some older stuff, but it more than holds it's own. The bottle I have has that slightly burnt pecan pie smell and flavor that I love. Whereas some dusties have a butterscotch or caramel flavor too, the ORVW 10/107 seems to have more of a vanilla wafer smell and flavor to it. It also has a hint of a spicy edge to it. There is also some barrel influence that I like to refer to as "oak and smoke". In other words, a bit of smokiness and oak that is present in the flavor in a good way. The "oak and smoke" is by no means overbearing. It actually adds to the overall enjoyment of the Old Rip. All in all it's a great bourbon. It's just too bad that in the current bourbon boom, the cost has become somewhat prohibitive. I won't say what the price was on the last "new" bottle I bought, but the price tag on one of my old label/bottles of ORVW 10/107 was $37.50. Sad to say, but those days and prices are now long gone. 

Cheers! Joe

My first bottle of ORVW was something around $32.  Months later I opened it and loved it.  I went back to find two more at that price and took those home.  A long time ago now.

I finally cracked open EHT Barrel Proof. Fantastic pour. I may crack open something new to follow -- not sure what.

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I opened a ps FRSB today after work. It's the regular OBSV 100 proof, but damn it's good.:P FWIW, I had this one kinda stashed towards the back of the shelf. It was the last one of these that I have, and I've been holding onto it for over a year now. I figured it was about time. :)

Cheers! Joe

The cult can even pull in the avowed wheater guy.

The cult is strong.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

The cult can even pull in the avowed wheater guy.

The cult is strong.

Strong indeed.:D

On topic, I opened a WT101 in order to add a little weight to my flask. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.