What unopened bottle do you keep as a trophy?

whiskey buyer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I do not yet have one that I am keeping unopened, but hope to have two pretty soon.

Do you have a bottle you keep unopened as a trophy, or for sentimental reasons?

I have a few bottles of single malt that I can't bring myself to open because their values have gone up by an order of magnitude or more since I purchased them, and I don't really know if they are worth drinking anymore.  When you can sell 2-3 bottles and finance a several week vacation to Europe for your family, it becomes difficult to pop that cork.  I am looking for a legal avenue to get rid of them, but until I can find one, they remain unopened.  Right now I'm looking into some options for hosting private tastings.  It is a shame our country makes it so hard to do such a simple thing legally.

No trophies, but if I did, it would be a 1979 Old Fitzgerald BIB and a Wild Turkey 12 year old from 1992 (Classic Gold Foil).  The first I found by asking a well crafted question, the second I found by dumb luck.  To date neither have been opened (but sister bottles have been).

Not a trophy, but I have a 375 mL of 8 yr old ND OGD BIB from 1990.  I stumbled upon two of them 2 years ago, and have been nursing the first ever since.  The second one I'll probably hold onto for a while before opening - if for no other reason than to share with folks years from now who didn't have the opportunities I did to try it (maybe a GBS 25 yr celebration? )

None - I try to drink them.

Edited by starhopper

I think about the only one that I would have trouble cracking is my CEHT tornado - but I will definitely someday. Wish I could get my hands on a sour mash- then the collection would be complete, then how cool would that be to have a taste of every single one of the collection in one sitting.....Dream on.

4 hours ago, starhopper said:

None - I try to drink them.

I'm with Starhopper! 

Jeez, the best-looking Bottle of Bourbon I can imagine is still a far cry, and a very pale comparison, from the smell and taste of even an ordinary Bourbon.

Why the hell would anyone want to NOT smell and taste any of 'em?   ...Especially a particularly 'special' one. 

Now saving an empty that was consumed at a particular occasion might have some sentimental value; I can't say I've saved more than a few empties for this reason, and all but one of 'em are now used for vatting.

On the other hand, saving a REALLY OLD un-opened one (pre-prohibition) might make some sense for a historical reason.   I've never had any of those.

I have a few:

A 375 mL bottle of Maker's I dipped in the red wax myself back in 2003. Has my signature and the date on it. Easy enough to buy more MM and not have to pop that one. Same goes for the 750 of MM that came from "my" barrel a few years later. 

A bottle of EWSB that was barreled in 2006 near my daughter's birthday. She was with me when I bought it and agreed to enjoy it together when she turns 21 in 9 years. 

A 50 mL mini of Old Fitzgerald bottled in 1950-something. I have a few other older minis like that one but this is my oldest Old Fitzgerald and I'll likely hang onto it for a while. Many of my other old minis are opened on special occasions and savored with friends. 

I have a bottle of KCSB that I got at the distillery a few months back with my fingerprint in the wax on top. I'll likely pop that one open when I get together again with the friends who joined me on that trip, but I have no plans to open it otherwise. 

Nothing that rare. Have a bottle of Woodford 1838 White Corn and Knob Creek 2001. Also keep the Maker's American Pharoh edition.

Waiting on something from Antique Collection....

I have a seven ounce returnable bottle of Coca Cola classic that is at least 35 years old.  I HAD a 750ml of Dubonnet that was so old it had about an inch of sediment in the bottom when I finally opened it.  My wife found a nine year old bottle of soy sauce in a back corner of her pantry earlier this year.

Is that what you had in mind?:huh:

None for me. Though I have a few special bottles I'm waiting to open, they don't qualify as trophies because they are stashed out of sight. I don't show anything off. 

I have a few Four Roses bottle signed by Jim Rutledge that are trophies to me. 

The only things for me that have sentimental value (not really trophies) are a MM that my wife and I dipped and an EW crock that we had labeled at the BHC on our anniversary a few years ago. Other than that, I have a few things that I think are really cool and am in no hurry to drink but aren't off limits forever.

I have two standard bottles of MM that were dipped in red and black wax to commemorate the 2015 Blackhawks Cup win.  One is sitting on a shelf with other Blackhawks memorabilia.  I don't feel bad about not drinking it since I can buy another bottle of MM whenever I need to.  The other will be opened when they win again in 2017. :D

Several of you are talking about bottles earmarked for special occasions or other circumstances like a vertical/family tasting.  I have a bottle of 2015 OF Birthday that I'm saving for a wedding anniversary since my wife and I were married in 2015 (not this year's, as it has passed).  This decision made sense since the colored band was our wedding color.  I also have a bottle of Jim Beam from the early 80's, unopened, that my uncle gifted to me when I started getting into bourbon  (he hasn't been a spirits drinker for years for health reasons so it just sat).  My plan is to take a bunch of pictures, since last I checked, the Whiskey ID website did not have any JB from that period.  Not that a bottle of JBW is that exciting of a dusty but I have the chance to document it, so why not.  Then I can open the bottle to compare the same label ~35 years removed.

Everything else in the bunker is just waiting for its turn....  Bourbon is polite like that.

Jason

I save some little 50ml bottles just as some sort of schwag. I don't have many. Just 10 or 15. I kind of like them, and they aren't too expensive.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I had a bottle of AH Hirsch 16 tucked away for a special occasion but I succumbed to the current bourbon market madness.  I have a bottle of PVW15 from 8 years ago or so that I plan to open when my son turns 21. 

I got a few. GTS 2010 (i've heard it's fantastic) and a WLW 2015. Soon, a bottle of Michter's 10 will join the group.

It's gonna be hard to crack the GTS, cause i'm not sure i'll be able to get another one, i'm waiting for a very very special occasion. 

Like many of you, I have a few bottles Im saving for a special occasion.  No bourbon is a trophy.  The stuff I want to save is in a different cabinet.  My dad comes over often for bourbon.  He knows he has free reign of everything except that particular cabinet.  He also knows he will be invited over when those special occasions happen and the bottles will be opened.  If you never plan on drinking it, its just brown liquid in a bottle.  Pretty crappy trophy if you ask me.

Mostly signed bottles...

Booker's signed by Booker

Knob Creek signed by Fred

Russell reserve 101 signed by Jimmy

RR 90 signed by Eddie

A slam dunk bottle of MM (not signed yet)

and two 375s my wife and I dunked at MM.

I do have a few (unreplaceable) that aren't really trophies but I haven't had the courage to open.

That's all folks.

Edited by Enoch

I figure if it's worth drinking it's worth drinking now.  My heirs will have to buy their own.

I think I have had an unopened bottle of Blanton's for several years. It's not exactly a trophy; I just save it for a very special occasion, such as if I ever have a grandchild born.

Tim

21 minutes ago, ratcheer said:

I think I have had an unopened bottle of Blanton's for several years. It's not exactly a trophy; I just save it for a very special occasion, such as if I ever have a grandchild born.

Tim

I see you live in Alabama. I grew up in Mobile. If you ever make it to Northern Michigan, you can bring your bottle of Blanton with you:)

All of the whiskey in my home will be consumed at some point in time. With friends, by myself, and hopefully one day with my boys. I will hold some back for later, but not much. None are really off limits. I've given away just as much "rare" whiskey as I've drank. Whiskey is just a little icing on this life I've been given. I choose to enjoy it. That what it was made for!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.