What unopened bottle do you keep as a trophy?

whiskey buyer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My bottles are for drinking, but I keep one sealed. It's a Raymond Loewy-designed decanter of Old Forester BiB from, I believe, 1957 or 1958 (the tax stamp is folded over onto itself). I found it about 10 years ago, and kept it on my desk as inspiration to finish my PhD and dissertation. The deal was, when I graduated, I'd open the decanter with family and friends. Once I did finish, though, I couldn't bring myself to open it. I think because the decanter was my constant companion throughout graduate school and the writing process, and felt more like a good luck talisman than a whiskey container. Silly, I know.

The academic job market for historians is really rough. So, now I have a hard promise with myself to open the Old Forester decanter as soon as I land a tenure-track job. At this rate, the damned thing is going to remain sealed for the next 15 years. Sigh.

OF Decanter.jpg

21 minutes ago, MrAtomic said:

The academic job market for historians is really rough. So, now I have a hard promise with myself to open the Old Forester decanter as soon as I land a tenure-track job. At this rate, the damned thing is going to remain sealed for the next 15 years. Sigh.

OF Decanter.jpg

When I finished in 1974, the academic market had collapsed because Viet Nam-inspired enrollments had declined dramatically. The advice then was to hang in there until 1988 or so when the demographics would improve. Right on the button, I got a call re. a position--which I had not applied for and did not even know existed. By then I was making way more money in Advertising but I did teach night classes for ten years because I loved the experience. Bottom line: Hone your marketable skills and try to stay up to date in your field. :) (That's a little hysterical-historical reference.) 

6 hours ago, Flyfish said:

When I finished in 1974, the academic market had collapsed because Viet Nam-inspired enrollments had declined dramatically. The advice then was to hang in there until 1988 or so when the demographics would improve. Right on the button, I got a call re. a position--which I had not applied for and did not even know existed. By then I was making way more money in Advertising but I did teach night classes for ten years because I loved the experience. Bottom line: Hone your marketable skills and try to stay up to date in your field. :) (That's a little hysterical-historical reference.) 

Flyfish, 

Wow - thank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience, as well as your advice. I'm doing my best to follow your suggestion (furiously learning web design/coding/digital education tools). I'd be so happy with a trajectory like yours, with a career and a chance to teach without having to publish. I'll let you know what happens, and whenever I end up cracking this decanter.

1 hour ago, MrAtomic said:

Flyfish, 

Wow - thank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience, as well as your advice. I'm doing my best to follow your suggestion (furiously learning web design/coding/digital education tools). I'd be so happy with a trajectory like yours, with a career and a chance to teach without having to publish. I'll let you know what happens, and whenever I end up cracking this decanter.

I have a degree in psychology but am a systems engineer for a small company, where I do a bizarre hodgepodge of things.  That, after spending ten years and a day in the military.  Hopefully on the fast track to partner.

In terms of salary and job satisfaction, it has worked out pretty well for me so far.  Technical skill, your PhD (the things you learned earning it) and a can do attitude will probably work out just fine for you.  Cheers, and I hope that bottle gets opened soonest.

Edited by garbanzobean

10 hours ago, MrAtomic said:

My bottles are for drinking, but I keep one sealed. It's a Raymond Loewy-designed decanter of Old Forester BiB from, I believe, 1957 or 1958 (the tax stamp is folded over onto itself). I found it about 10 years ago, and kept it on my desk as inspiration to finish my PhD and dissertation. The deal was, when I graduated, I'd open the decanter with family and friends. Once I did finish, though, I couldn't bring myself to open it. I think because the decanter was my constant companion throughout graduate school and the writing process, and felt more like a good luck talisman than a whiskey container. Silly, I know.

OF Decanter.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhh............that's a cool bottle. I'd have a hard time opening it just because it looks so good full.

Lol...that lady lilac lcp gives new meaning to the term safe queen

The safe Queen with a bag over her head, shoved in the back where nobody will see it

11 hours ago, MrAtomic said:

Flyfish, 

Wow - thank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience, as well as your advice. I'm doing my best to follow your suggestion (furiously learning web design/coding/digital education tools). I'd be so happy with a trajectory like yours, with a career and a chance to teach without having to publish. 

Oh, I've published. A lot. But all of it was stuff people can actually read and, mostly, understand. Genuine Academic Gobbledygook is the most difficult foreign language to master.

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

The safe Queen with a bag over her head, shoved in the back where nobody will see it

if she sells mary kay, maybe trade it for a pink g42.  that would look good with the pink Cadillac.

21 hours ago, MrAtomic said:

My bottles are for drinking, but I keep one sealed. It's a Raymond Loewy-designed decanter of Old Forester BiB from, I believe, 1957 or 1958 ...

If that were in my house, it would stay sealed for sure.  That one is way cool.

if she sells mary kay, maybe trade it for a pink g42.  that would look good with the pink Cadillac.

She already has one. Not pink though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Okay so I picked up a bottle of Old Granddad BiB to give it a try for the first time, and also picked up a 1792 Full Proof.

(EDIT:  sorry wrong thread :o )

Edited by Kepler

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Okay so I picked up a bottle of Old Granddad BiB to give it a try for the first time, and also picked up a 1792 Full Proof.

(EDIT:  sorry wrong thread :o )

How do you like the Old Granddad BIB?

16 hours ago, whiskey buyer said:

Well I haven't opened it yet but when I do I'll share thoughts.

On 8/17/2016 at 10:16 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

IN SUM, getting old is not for sissies.  And, neither is OGDBIB.

Quite so, well said.

Mine are only the last bottles I have of the first four GBS barrels. Sentimental more than anything.

The first, and only, bottle of Bourbon my wife has bought me. Booker's batch C04-J-19,  7yrs 1 mo, 129.2 proof. It was an anniversary, I already had a bottle of Bookers open, and eventually bought other,  different batches. I've decided I'm going to keep it closed until my sons are of age, and then drink it as a family.

Nice mhpitch, I too have a bottle saved to share with my son, a 2003 EWSB barreled the year of his birth. 

12 hours ago, Redslayer said:

Nice mhpitch, I too have a bottle saved to share with my son, a 2003 EWSB barreled the year of his birth. 

That's a great idea because of the specific year stamp. I'll have to do that in a few years when the year comes up! Cheers! 

Edited by mhpitch

In 2011, I found three bottles of Four Roses Mariage 2009 at retail, and it's among my all-time favorites.  I just opened the second one earlier this year, and there has been much in the way of savoring and waiting for special days to pour.  The third one is my trophy bottle, I'll see how long I can keep it bunkered before some compelling occasion demands that I bring it out.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, BigRich said:

Mine are only the last bottles I have of the first four GBS barrels. Sentimental more than anything.

Ah yes, I do have a bottle of each one of those still unopened. Even have one of each of the 2 SB.com bottles. At least for the moment...

What is it now, 8 GBS bottles? I think I am going to need a bigger shelf!

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ah yes, I do have a bottle of each one of those still unopened. Even have one of each of the 2 SB.com bottles. At least for the moment...

What is it now, 8 GBS bottles? I think I am going to need a bigger shelf!

YOU?    Bruce?    Need more room for your few bottles.     Now I've heard everything.     We can't be talking about more than a few thousand bottles can we?    ...Or can we?   He-Heeeee!

3 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

YOU?    Bruce?    Need more room for your few bottles.     Now I've heard everything.     We can't be talking about more than a few thousand bottles can we?    ...Or can we?   He-Heeeee!

A multitude of sins, and bottles, can be hidden in the basement. Room on the display shelf where anyone can take a gander at them is always at a premium!

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:47 AM, whiskey buyer said:
19 hours ago, mhpitch said:

The first, and only, bottle of Bourbon my wife has bought me. Booker's batch C04-J-19,  7yrs 1 mo, 129.2 proof. It was an anniversary, I already had a bottle of Bookers open, and eventually bought other,  different batches. I've decided I'm going to keep it closed until my sons are of age, and then drink it as a family.

so when do they turn 12?

4 hours ago, Kalessin said:

In 2011, I found three bottles of Four Roses Mariage 2009 at retail, and it's among my all-time favorites.  I just opened the second one earlier this year, and there has been much in the way of savoring and waiting for special days to pour.  The third one is my trophy bottle, I'll see how long I can keep it bunkered before some compelling occasion demands that I bring it out.

This was a great one.  I've got a bottle I've sipped since it first came out.  Bottle is still maybe half full.  Only pull it out for Roses fans.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.