Costco Bourbon

jimgator74
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently bought a bottle of Kirkland (costco) bourbon which now says Tennessee not Kentuckey and cost more than original.  Tried one drink and then returned it as it was not a bourbon taste as before.  Anyone have an experience

with the new costco bourbon

Didn't know you could open a bottle and taste it and then return it if you don't like it, is that Costco's policy?

jimgator74 - First off, welcome to SB.  Be sure to post over on the "New to Straightbourbon" thread - likes, dislikes, experience, etc., as it helps us all get to know one another.

NOW, re: your question - Here's an older SB thread about Costco's "Tennessee Whiskey" which may help you figure out what's up.  Some of the posters included tasting notes.  Let us know if your experience matches any of theirs.  I can't help - None of the Costcos I've been in the last nine years sell distilled spirits.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23916-new-kirkland-costco-tennessee-whiskey/#comment-497730

Regards,

Harry

9 minutes ago, Thig said:

Didn't know you could open a bottle and taste it and then return it if you don't like it, is that Costco's policy?

Yeah, that surprised me, too.  OTOH, I overheard a customer buying several handles of EWB in a Virginia ABC store tell the manager, "Susie, I sure hope this batch tastes better than that small bottle batch I bought last month.  That one was awful.  First bad one in years."  Susie replied, "Mr. D______, if any of these is bad, just bring it back, and we'll fix you up."  Wine I could see, but distilled spirits?

The generic Costco brand is similar in price (in my area) to the name brand small batch bourbons so I don't get the attraction.  Sure you might get lucky every great once in awhile, but still...

you bought the Kirkland bourbon and not the Kirkland's new Tennessee Whiskey?  I know they just came out with that earlier this year I think.

and welcome!

Note two things: 1) Costco sells both a "Tennessee Whiskey" at 80 proof with a black label that I assumed was to convince customers that it is a JD clone; 2) they are recently selling a "Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey" at 7YO and 103 proof that seems to have replaced the Kirkland Kentucky Straight Bourbon--except it costs $10 more per liter. I have not tried either. The first because of the NAS and low proof, the second because of the extra $10. 

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I can't help - None of the Costcos I've been in the last nine years sell distilled spirits.

Harry - do you live in Nova?  The DC Costco sells liquor. 

3 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Harry - do you live in Nova?  The DC Costco sells liquor. 

Nope - in WDC, but I've never been to that Costco, and I never make it past my local stores when I get thirsty.:unsure:  Pentagon City, VA, is the closest, and I've hit the ones along the I-95 corridor to and in Richmond.  One of these days, though, now that I'm sure the trip will end with a purchase . . . B) edit - So, thanks for the info.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

6 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Note two things: 1) Costco sells both a "Tennessee Whiskey" at 80 proof with a black label that I assumed was to convince customers that it is a JD clone; 2) they are recently selling a "Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey" at 7YO and 103 proof that seems to have replaced the Kirkland Kentucky Straight Bourbon--except it costs $10 more per liter. I have not tried either. The first because of the NAS and low proof, the second because of the extra $10. 

The 2  is no doubt about it Dickel. Confirmed  in a randomized double blind placebo controlled study conducted  at Sampler 2016 including participants of tanstaafl2, BigRich and assorted others nefarious so called bourbon cognoscente.

And Costco has a very easy going return policy but maybe as a member I wish they didn't. Haven't we all had a few we wouldn't mind returning after opening. 

20 hours ago, Darwin said:

The generic Costco brand is similar in price (in my area) to the name brand small batch bourbons so I don't get the attraction.  Sure you might get lucky every great once in awhile, but still...

What he said. My Costco liquor store just opened a few months ago. I have shopped there a couple of times. Unless I wanted large handles of vodka (I don't), there is very little price advantage. For example, a 750 of Blanton's is about $1 less than at the state ABC store.

Tim

Costco bourbon prices vary widely both by state and by individual stores within a state depending on the demographic they are targeting. Sometimes the prices can be outstanding. Last year I bought two handles of KC at the Scottsdale Costco for the same price I pay for 750s at home in OH. Have also found handles of WT101 for $29.99 which compares quite favorably with mid-20s for a 750. The now-discontinued Kirkland bourbon (a 7YO, 103 proof Beam product) was about $20 a liter which works out to about $15/750. Mrs. F. and I are RVers who travel widely. We always check for bourbon and/or wine at Costco when we stop to fuel up. Can't get Costco quantities of most products to fit in the RV but we can always find room in our bellies for the free food samples.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2016 at 1:30 PM, ratcheer said:

What he said. My Costco liquor store just opened a few months ago. I have shopped there a couple of times. Unless I wanted large handles of vodka (I don't), there is very little price advantage. For example, a 750 of Blanton's is about $1 less than at the state ABC store.

Tim

I live in NC where ALL liquor sales must be conducted in a state controlled ABC store. I can cross the border into SC which has both a state run system and will allow privately owned liquor stores but limit the number to three stores. In other words, Green's has a location in Greenville, Myrtle Beach and Columbia. They can open no more stores in SC. Costco opened a new location in Spartanburg SC, but was not allowed to have liquor since they already have locations that sell in 3 other cities. This was done to not only protect the state run ABC system, but also small independent liquor store owners. That's a really long explanation to say that the state of SC requires Costco to sell their products within a certain range to protect, again the state run system and the little guys. The only way that Costco can get around this is with their Kirkland Brand. They can sell it for whatever they like since no one else has it. So unless you like Kirkland's Small Batch (I wasn't going to spend $30 on a Liter to find out), there is no advantage to Costco for purchasing  bourbon in SC. The only thing I've purchased there is a handle of Tito's Vodka and a handle of Beefeaters. Both of those were really good buys (around $25 ea.) compared to the NC price, but I could've purchased them at any other SC liquor store for the same price. Needless to say, I was disappointed. The only advantage is I can convince the wife to run to Myrtle Beach to Costco, but I can't convince her to run to Myrtle Beach to the liquor store.

Edited by BDanner

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.