"at a profit if we can, at a loss if we must"

tdelling
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi everyone - it's been a while!

I saw this today, attributed to Collis P. Huntington in the 1890s as he started the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company:

"We shall build good ships here. At a profit — if we can. At a loss — if we must. But always good ships."

At this point I'm not sure exactly when the motto originated (it could have been the 1890s, or it could be later...), or what it's relation is to another motto that we're all familiar with.  Anyone know anything?

Tim

2 hours ago, tdelling said:

Hi everyone - it's been a while!

I saw this today, attributed to Collis P. Huntington in the 1890s as he started the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company:

"We shall build good ships here. At a profit — if we can. At a loss — if we must. But always good ships."

At this point I'm not sure exactly when the motto originated (it could have been the 1890s, or it could be later...), or what it's relation is to another motto that we're all familiar with.  Anyone know anything?

Tim

PVW started working as a salesman at WL Weller in 1893 (or so says wiki) so if the shipbuilder was using it from the early 1890's it seems likely they were using it first. But no idea when the phrase and PVW became linked. I would think it would have been much later when he became an owner and not just a salesman.

Amusingly, the ORVW website says the family business started in the 1870's, apparently with the birth of PVW (He was born in about 1874). I guess no bourbon company PR department is immune from fudging the facts...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.