My First Modern Tainted Bottle

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When HH announced they were moving production of Rittenhouse to their facility, I went around and bought all the 354 stuff I could find. I ended up with several cases and since then have opened one every month or two. They had all been great. Last week I opened another bottle and it had a distinct moldy, dirt-like taste. I tried it several nights thinking maybe my taste buds were acting up but just couldn't get past the nasty taste. I decided to open yet another bottle to compare and as always, it was great. I had my wife conduct several blind sbs tastings and I could easily pick out the bad stuff each time. Now I have had bad dusty bottles from the 60s - 80s and I expect some of then to be bad. But these are relatively new bottles, so I have to wonder what happened. JMHTs

is this a first?  anyone else hear of taint in newer screw top?  do they have lot numbers to compare to make sure it's a bad single bottle from a lot of otherwise good ones?

23 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

is this a first?  anyone else hear of taint in newer screw top?  do they have lot numbers to compare to make sure it's a bad single bottle from a lot of otherwise good ones?

That is a new one on me.    If you'd said it was a cork top, I'd have assumed almost certainly a "bad cork".    But, in a screw top bottle...?    I've never heard of such a thing.    All I can guess is that this one bottle was exposed (for a good deal of time) to direct sunlight, or high heat.   I have no other guess as to why a 'bad' one among other good ones would crop up.

Visually does the whiskey look any different from the other bottles??  That's a new one on me as well.  I've seen bottles in stores with screwcaps where they had cracked (maybe been dropped on the top or something), and I didn't pick those up.  Even if the seal went bad though, that seems  odd.  

I suspect the closure wasn't airtight and over time some airborne microbe got into the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.