Which Water of Life did you pass up today? 2016+

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, emr454 said:

Jameson's 12yo for $112. Over $100 for an 80 proof whiskey, not a chance!

That is crazy.  My cousin just bought the 18 year for $130 and I thought that was a lot for an Irish.

53 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

That is crazy.  My cousin just bought the 18 year for $130 and I thought that was a lot for an Irish.

Agreed! I can almost buy two bottle of Redbreast 12 for that price. No wonder the shelf was full of them.

Does seem a bit out of whack! That is nearly triple the regular price. Maybe they had it confused with the 18yo limited reserve which does tend to be over $100.

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Does seem a bit out of whack! That is nearly triple the regular price. Maybe they had it confused with the 18yo limited reserve which does tend to be over $100.

Could be. If not, I can't see any justification for that price

22 hours ago, emr454 said:

Jameson's 12yo for $112. Over $100 for an 80 proof whiskey, not a chance!

Another store had it for $76.99 today, still too high IMO

Passed up CC 100% rye yesterday. It was $19.99 and I almost bought it on an impulse but wanted to do more research first. So far, it sounds like a decent dram for the price.

11 minutes ago, emr454 said:

Passed up CC 100% rye yesterday. It was $19.99 and I almost bought it on an impulse but wanted to do more research first. So far, it sounds like a decent dram for the price.

Did you see the thread dedicated to the CC 100% rye? Most folks seemed to really enjoy it while a few (including me) did not like it at all. Not really many opinions in the middle of the spectrum. For $20, though, it's worth trying.

2 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Did you see the thread dedicated to the CC 100% rye? Most folks seemed to really enjoy it while a few (including me) did not like it at all. Not really many opinions in the middle of the spectrum. For $20, though, it's worth trying.

I did scan through that thread and I'm undecided. My urge to continually try new things is conflicting with the voice in my head reminding me that Ritt bib is only $3 more...

35 minutes ago, emr454 said:

I did scan through that thread and I'm undecided. My urge to continually try new things is conflicting with the voice in my head reminding me that Ritt bib is only $3 more...

Fair point, I have a similar internal struggle when purchasing some new items. I've never had a bad bottle of Rittenhouse!

Passed on a Springbank 50 years old that was USD 7500 today.  Might pounce on it if it drops by 90% or so!

Edited by Caskstrength

I passed on Writer's Tears Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey for $40. This is the first I've seen it around here, so I was intrigued, but I don't drink too much Irish whiskey so it'd probably sit on my shelf for a long time.

38 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I passed on Writer's Tears Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey for $40. This is the first I've seen it around here, so I was intrigued, but I don't drink too much Irish whiskey so it'd probably sit on my shelf for a long time.

New to the US I believe. Same group as the Irishman but I don't think the Irishman has a 100% pure pot still style. Recently tried the "Red Head" version which is sherry cask finished . Not exactly RB CS but pretty good and a bit cheaper. Not exactly sure when, or even if, that version is coming to the US but I think it will.

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

New to the US I believe. Same group as the Irishman but I don't think the Irishman has a 100% pure pot still style. Recently tried the "Red Head" version which is sherry cask finished . Not exactly RB CS but pretty good and a bit cheaper. Not exactly sure when, or even if, that version is coming to the US but I think it will.

Thanks, Bruce. "Pure Pot Still" meaning it uses a blend of malted and unmalted barley, distilled in pot stills, is that correct? Sorry, I failed Irish Whiskey class in grade school and never quite recovered!

K&L got in 60+ bottles and sold through it in <24 hours so it seems like there's a market for it here. They'd be silly not to import the Red Head as well.

14 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Thanks, Bruce. "Pure Pot Still" meaning it uses a blend of malted and unmalted barley, distilled in pot stills, is that correct? Sorry, I failed Irish Whiskey class in grade school and never quite recovered!

K&L got in 60+ bottles and sold through it in <24 hours so it seems like there's a market for it here. They'd be silly not to import the Red Head as well.

Yes, a mix of malted and unmalted barley that is pot distilled. Although it used to be called "pure pot still" whiskey I think the TTB didn't like the word "pure" so now the call it "single pot still" whiskey.

I think the Red head is a single malt and not single pot still whiskey.

Come to think of it I think the regular Writers Tears is technically a blended whiskey but like the Irishman (probably the same stuff!) it is a blend of single pot still and single malt. No grain whiskey in the blend.

Edited by tanstaafl2

49 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, a mix of malted and unmalted barley that is pot distilled. Although it used to be called "pure pot still" whiskey I think the TTB didn't like the word "pure" so now the call it "single pot still" whiskey.

I think the Red head is a single malt and not single pot still whiskey.

Come to think of it I think the regular Writers Tears is technically a blended whiskey but like the Irishman (probably the same stuff!) it is a blend of single pot still and single malt. No grain whiskey in the blend.

Thank you for the education. I had two good-sized pours of the Irishman Founder's Reserve at a bar several months ago and thought it was pretty nice, so maybe I'll spring for the Writer's Tears come St. Patrick's Day.

I saw the CC 100% rye for $12.49 today.  I guess I should have cleared them out, but I'm still on my best behavior (New Year's resolutions and all). 

Passed on a couple of Balvenie 21 Portwoods at $180 in a small local store.  They've been sitting there for a few years.  I may pick one up b/c its like $50 less than the going rate and I just finished off a bottle of it.

1 hour ago, Old Dusty said:

Check Costco. The one by me had the Portwood 21 for $165 before Christmas 

My Costco has a pretty crappy selection.  Never had something like the portwood in stock.  If I saw it at that price, I think I'd be a buyer for sure.

Passed on a Hakushu 18 at $249.99, Hibiki 12 at $83.99, & a Yamazaki 12 at $69.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 hours ago, gusto16 said:

Passed on a Hakushu 18 at $249.99, Hibiki 12 at $83.99, & a Yamazaki 12 at $69.99

I would have had a hard time walking away from the Hibiki at that price if it was a 12yo and not the Harmony. 

I also passed on a Hakushu 18 at $249.99. Well, I think it was $249.99...it could have been $349.99. The bottle was too far away for me to read the first digit, but either way I knew I didn't like the number.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 4:50 AM, Kpiz said:

I also passed on a Hakushu 18 at $249.99. Well, I think it was $249.99...it could have been $349.99. The bottle was too far away for me to read the first digit, but either way I knew I didn't like the number.

~$250 is what Hakushu 18 goes for in the secondary (online auctions) here in Japan nowadays. New from a store means you're looking at around $300 at least.

Yamazaki 18 is now starting around $450 new in the store, if you can find it.

37 minutes ago, no proof said:

~$250 is what Hakushu 18 goes for in the secondary (online auctions) here in Japan nowadays. New from a store means you're looking at around $300 at least.

Yamazaki 18 is now starting around $450 new in the store, if you can find it.

Wow. I can't help but wonder if that's a sign of what's coming here in the U.S. There are still places with Yamazaki 18 for <$300 but it sells out very quickly, at least in my area.

Passed on a 22yr Auchroisk @ $127.  Really enjoyed the one Auchroisk I tried, but haven't been terribly impressed by Battlehill offerings.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.