Which Water of Life did you pass up today? 2016+

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Aaaand passed on the Classic Cut for $80, hope it wasn't a mistake.

It does say no coloring on the box, but nothing else.

Ah, so it does! I just now noticed it is on the back at the bottom near the proof in the last picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed on two 50% Old Malt Cask dusty looking bottles that I might go back for, 1 was a 1986 Glenturret 13 year for $75 the other was a 1983 Bowmore 18 year for $99. More intrigued by the Bowmore having little (save knowing its in Famous Grouse) experience with Glenturret. Looked around for reviews of other '83 DL or OMC Bowmores and reviews are a little varied though Serge at whiskyfun thoroughly trashed a 20 year old '83 that has me hesitant. 

• 1 month later...
Passed on two 50% Old Malt Cask dusty looking bottles that I might go back for, 1 was a 1986 Glenturret 13 year for $75 the other was a 1983 Bowmore 18 year for $99. More intrigued by the Bowmore having little (save knowing its in Famous Grouse) experience with Glenturret. Looked around for reviews of other '83 DL or OMC Bowmores and reviews are a little varied though Serge at whiskyfun thoroughly trashed a 20 year old '83 that has me hesitant. 

Ah yes, Serge gave it the dread FWP label. Not promising, though I can’t say I’ve ever experienced the perfumey quality of Bowmores from that era myself. Maybe the store owner will come down on price since it’s been sitting there for a long time?

I couldn’t find any ‘83 Bowmore OMCs on whiskybase either. Strange.

12 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Ah yes, Serge gave it the dread FWP label. Not promising, though I can’t say I’ve ever experienced the perfumey quality of Bowmores from that era myself. Maybe the store owner will come down on price since it’s been sitting there for a long time?

I couldn’t find any ‘83 Bowmore OMCs on whiskybase either. Strange.

Funny enough after I asked about it (it had no price on it) it now has a price tag of $130, haven't been back in a while but I doubt that has changed.

• 1 month later...

I begrudgingly passed on an Ian MacLeod “As We Get It” NAS Highland Single Malt bottled at 66.1% ABV. I found an upscale whiskey shop while traveling in Hanoi and they had a large number of independently bottled scotches (including some Port Ellens and Broras). Most were out of my price range, at least for a bottle I’m going to drink while on vacation, but they had two different “As We Get It” expressions, an Islay and a Highland. The Highland looked like it was aged in first-fill sherry and the price was right at about $60. Unfortunately the staff wasn’t very willing to help and the language barrier didn’t make things any easier. I wanted to buy the Highland expression but young Sherry bombs are hit or miss. I noticed they had a large number of open bottles at the counter and one of them happened to be the Highland, so I asked if I could taste it and they told me no. Again, cultural/language barriers were in place so there could have been an important piece I was missing but they weren’t particularly nice about it so I left without buying. Oh well, I’ll just have to make do with light lagers for the next couple weeks!

13 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I begrudgingly passed on an Ian MacLeod “As We Get It” NAS Highland Single Malt bottled at 66.1% ABV. I found an upscale whiskey shop while traveling in Hanoi and they had a large number of independently bottled scotches (including some Port Ellens and Broras). Most were out of my price range, at least for a bottle I’m going to drink while on vacation, but they had two different “As We Get It” expressions, an Islay and a Highland. The Highland looked like it was aged in first-fill sherry and the price was right at about $60. Unfortunately the staff wasn’t very willing to help and the language barrier didn’t make things any easier. I wanted to buy the Highland expression but young Sherry bombs are hit or miss. I noticed they had a large number of open bottles at the counter and one of them happened to be the Highland, so I asked if I could taste it and they told me no. Again, cultural/language barriers were in place so there could have been an important piece I was missing but they weren’t particularly nice about it so I left without buying. Oh well, I’ll just have to make do with light lagers for the next couple weeks!

Hanoi

Upscale whiskey shop

Surly sales agents

High pricing

Hey, Ken Burns!!  WE WON!!!  :lol:

Hanoi
Upscale whiskey shop
Surly sales agents
High pricing

Hey, Ken Burns!!  WE WON!!!  :lol:

Maybe he should add an 11th part to the documentary [emoji1]

• 2 months later...

Six years in ex-Bourbon followed by six in fresh fill ex-Calvados at 52.7% ABV sounded great, but the outer carton showed significant sun bleaching which was a concern (especially given that it was bottled in 2012). Obviously this wasn't the original retailer, as the LS didn't even have windows.

IMG_9069.thumb.jpg.c16acfdf70daa710b0bcce4674fa8afd.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.