Mayor Pingree 10 year single barrel

bourbon-n00b
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20160831_195611.jpg20160831_195918.jpgThis just hit select Michigan retailers this week.  10 year barrel proof MGP juice, bottled by Valentine Distillery in Ferndale, MI.  I probably won't crack into mine till the weekend but I'd love to hear any thoughts if anyone has tried it yet.

What did you pay for this bottle?     It might be pretty good stuff; but one wonders a little about the ambiguity (other than the admission that it's MGP juice), of the aging location, and barrel selection (from among how many, aged where?).    It's a pretty low proof for a 10-year old Bourbon, so maybe a single story warehouse... or even indoors?   Any info on any of that from Valentine or Holiday Mkt?

Wow, 90 bucks for a 10 year sourced bourbon. This is something I'd be interested in trying but it's a tough sell on a whole bottle for that price when I can get SAOS for 2/3 of the price with the same specs basically. I hope you enjoy it though.

Are there non-single barrel selections of this too?

5 hours ago, bin31z said:

jeez..90 bucks

Yeah, me too.    I quickly lost most of my interest after seeing that price.

Price is much too high. I can buy 3 bottles of 10 yr Eagle Rare for that price and I know that Eagle Rare is a great bourbon. The Eagle Rare is 90 proof

not 107.4. The label on the bottle of Mayor Pingree shows single barrel at about 107.4 proof. It is not likely barrel proof.

Granted it doesn't say cask strength on the label that I can find but 10yo MGP bourbons that I have seen are often around this proof and sometimes lower (and yes, sometimes higher). I have three different 8 year old bourbons in my bunker that are all below 108 (One is 99.8 pf). I have a 10yo at 111.8.

I see no reason why this can't be the barrel proof. It is certainly an odd proof to choose if it isn't barrel proof.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Looking at their web-site, it shows they've been in business since 2007 (although not sure when they started "distilling").  This particular label is clearly MGP (and seems pricey for 10yr MGP bourbon, but to each their own - if it was aged in Michigan the entire time, that would certainly make it more unique), but I found it strange that their "Our Story" page mentions a stand against mass produced spirits . . . while selling MGP?  Also, their tear-sheet on the Mayor Pingree (not the "single barrel" detailed in the OP) mentions all of this craftsmanship they put into it . . . and then ends with this gem:

At bottling the Mayor Pingree Bourbon is blended with bourbon distilled on the famed columns of the former Seagram's distillery in Lawrenceberg, Indiana and proofed down to 45% alcohol, hand bottled and labeled.

Now I do appreciate their transparency (because they could just have folks believing everything in the bottle is their product), but I don't appreciate their "taking a stand" against that which apparently isn't such a bad idea when they can incorporate it (or simply age and bottle it).  Not sure how much that hypocrisy taints the whiskey, but at their prices - I'm in no danger of being separated from my money to find out :) 

http://valentinedistilling.com/our-story/

http://valentinedistilling.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/MAYOR-PINGREE-TECH.pdf

I realize that barrel proof bourbon can be relatively low. I have barrel proof bourbon at less than 100 proof. Wild Turkey's Master's Keep is less than 90. It just seems odd to me that a barrel proof bourbon would not be promoted and labeled as barrel proof. At $90 a bottle, I don't care what proof it is.

Wow, apparently I let myself get carried away with the specs on this one and took my eye off the value proposition.  It's been quite some time since I've been in the market for whiskey and looks like I picked the wrong one for my come back.  Thanks for all your thoughts.

“I am taking a stand against mass produced spirits. I am here to prove that American ingenuity and quality American manufacturing is still alive.” – Rifino Valentine

Says the guy buying mass produced spirits and bottling it on his own.

I'm with Gary on this one.  

6 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Wow, apparently I let myself get carried away with the specs on this one and took my eye off the value proposition.  It's been quite some time since I've been in the market for whiskey and looks like I picked the wrong one for my come back.  Thanks for all your thoughts.

If its bought/paid for, I'd look at the price at this point as water under the bridge.  It certainly may influence whether you want to buy a second, but it may be really tasty whiskey!  Don't let anyone's thoughts on the value prop interfere with where the rubber meets the road (or rather where the whiskey meets drinker, eh!)  I can't count on one hand how many bottles I bought, enjoyed, but thought "holy cow - I'd never pay THAT again for them".  Admittedly - the first pour I don't enjoy quite so much, but I try to remind myself that I'm presented the option of letting the price ruin it for me, or ignoring that one aspect that is beyond my control.  And if I still don't like it - whiskey sours it is! :) 

bourbon-n00b, just taste it and tell us what you think.  A lot of us like to read reviews of bottles we can not find, or probably wouldn't buy on a lark.  It makes this site fun.  

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

bourbon-n00b, just taste it and tell us what you think.  A lot of us like to read reviews of bottles we can not find, or probably wouldn't buy on a lark.  It makes this site fun.  

Will do!  As the father of a too-active two-year-old, finding time for drinking is not always easy but this will be the next bottle I open and I will update this thread with a review.

That taking a stand thing is dopey, but I've had good interactions with the folks at Valentine. They've been distilling since 2007. Their vodka and elderflower vodka have been successful but their best products have been Liberator Gin and their barrel-aged Liberator which are both really good.

I reviewed their Woodward limited whiskey a few years ago. There's some information about them there: https://sipologyblog.com/2013/08/02/woodward-limited-whiskey/

I also discussed the Pingree bourbon when it first appeared on the list here: https://sipologyblog.com/2016/05/19/new-and-interesting-on-the-michigan-state-liquor-list-may-1-2016/

Here's the section on Pingree: 

MAYOR PINGREE 90, 750, $89.99

MAYOR PINGREE-10 YR 110, 750, $89.99 New line of bourbon from Valentine in Ferndale, Michigan. It’s named for former Detroit mayor and Michigan governor Hazen Pingree (1840-1901), a progressive Republican who is widely considered to be one of Detroit’s greatest mayors.

When contacted on social media, Valentine’s Justin Aden wrote the following: “The two new listings are for two new age-stated straight bourbon sku’s we’ll be releasing this summer. One is for cask strength, [non chill-filtered] straight bourbon single barrels and the other is a limited edition age-stated ‘small-batch’ blend by yours truly.” When asked if the bourbon was sourced or their own distillate, Justin replied, “A bit of both, depending on the release. We’ve got several label variations of the Mayor Pingree line. We’ve been laying it down since 2007 but we also have some excellent sourced 10yr stock to share as well. We’ll keep you posted!”

All that said, $90 is a dumb price. What's the point in sourcing if it's going to be that expensive?

Edited by Josh

18 hours ago, Josh said:

All that said, $90 is a dumb price. What's the point in sourcing if it's going to be that expensive?

And if his own stuff is "that good", why not wait a year and release his OWN 10yr?  That in and of itself makes me think "We've been distilling for 9 years, so we can only sample how our stuff tastes at 6 years for the last 3, and we've started making adjustments - which will take another 7-9 years before we see how that's working out - but we were able to blend some if it in with really solid sourced whiskey from big companies that I'm taking a stand against!"

They can make their own without this stupid "stand" business.  I get that its marketing, but it can be done more honestly than that.

$90 is too expensive to me.  On the other hand, Adam Smith would probably say something like - it's a good price if enough people buy it in a reasonable amount of time.  I can think of two other brands (one starts with a W, the other starts with a V).  They would both sell 10 year old sourced whiskey for $90.

Then we have small start up distillers mixing their stuff with something that was sourced.  I feel like it should be all one or the other.

• 2 months later...

Mayor Pingree Single Barrel

10 years, 53.8 ABV (presumably barrel proof but not stated as such)

Barrel 21, bottled for Holiday Market, bottle 54 of 156.  

$89.99 (Michigan state minimum price)

Tasted neat in a Glencairn.  First pour from a sealed bottle.

Nose:  Delightful.  Lots of caramel with oak/leather and spice undertones. Cherry alcohol (a little reminiscent of cherry nyquil) that shows notes of sweet corn as it sits.  Very balanced, as I can get elements of each with every sniff.  Not as hot as I'd expect for a +100 proofer.

Palate: Medium viscosity.  Oaky cinnamon on the front end.  Bold and spicy, but not hot.  Drinks lower proof than it is.  Dark chocolate elements mid-palate, but is fairly short.  

Finish:  The oak and spice linger and battle for supremacy.  The spice wins out, at least for this session.  Black pepper lingers for 10-15 seconds after each sip.  Fades out to a faint honey aftertaste if enough time passes between sips.

Overall:  It's been a while since I've seriously tasted any bourbon, so my frame of reference may be off but this is really good.  Reminiscent of what I recall from dusty WT8.  I wish it had a little thicker mouthfeel, but that's a minor quibble and everything has some downside.  This is a delicious bourbon and it would be really easy to drink too much of it.  

Since I've been out of the bourbon scene for so long, it's difficult to objectively rate this against the current landscape of other options.  I feel that in today's climate, a 10 year, 100+ proof limited edition would be well out of reach, so I am happy that I had the opportunity to partake in this one and I don't regret the expenditure.   I'd recommend at least trying this for anyone who has a chance.

Edited by bourbon-n00b
Remove huge picture, clearly I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks for the detailed notes bourbon-n00b!  Glad you enjoy it - at the end of the day, everything else doesn't really matter :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I put a 10 yr Old scout private pick for the Single Barrel Project against the Mayor Pingree this weekend.  The SAOS was more well rounded, much smoother.  The rye kick of the SAOS was towards the back of the pallet vs the Mayor Pingree hits you up front.  Pretty good offering, but I'd rather stay with the cheaper SAOS.  

6 hours ago, ejcrossl said:

I put a 10 yr Old scout private pick for the Single Barrel Project against the Mayor Pingree this weekend.  The SAOS was more well rounded, much smoother.  The rye kick of the SAOS was towards the back of the pallet vs the Mayor Pingree hits you up front.  Pretty good offering, but I'd rather stay with the cheaper SAOS.  

Thanks! I travel to MI on business from time to time and I had thoughts of picking up a bottle. I may steer clear now. I'm not usually a fan of chasing down MGP juice when I have plenty of SAOS to choose from, especially if said juice is more expensive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.