Benriach 17yr Solstice

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried this bottle? It is the Heavely Peated 17yr Solstice. I know it was a limited bottling. 

Can an I get your thoughts on this bottle of you have tried it? I am thinking of picking it up. 

Cheers

I've not had the 17yr solstice so I cannot help you directly, but I've had the 10, 21, and 25 yr peated regular releases BenRiach does.  I think the 25 replaced the 21, but I forget.  The 10yr Curiositas is nice.  I don't know if there is a better "chilly fall night" whisky for me, as the peat reminds me of burning leaves and wood, and BenRiach's spirit is pretty fruity.  I didn't care for the older BenRiach peaters.  The peat expressed itself in ways I did not care for.  I couldn't ever quite put my finger on it, but it was somewhere between burning trash and odd farmy notes, which typically don't bother me but did here.

Ultimately my experience with the two older expressions has led me to leave the older peated BenRiachs alone, and just stick with the 10 year release.  Port finishes are iffy for me as well, so I'd really have to try this one before buying.

The whisky blogosphere generally appears to have rated horizons highly, though.  Those guys probably know a lot more than I do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.