Grandpa's Stash of Rare Bottles (I think)

JFlay
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On a sad note, my Grandfather in law passed away last week at the ripe old age of 99.  He used to buy high end bottles of scotch, bourbon, etc as he liked to entertain in his little place on the north side of Chicago.  I knew he had some decent bottles but didn't know to what extent until we started cleaning stuff out...I am hoping the pics show, however, here were some of the finds:

• Old Fitzgerald (specialty run) - Aged 15 years.  Label states is what barreled in 1948 and bottled in 1963
  • Wellers Barrel Proof Aged 10 years at 110 proof
  • Wellers Barrel proof Aged 7 years at 107 proof 
  • IW Harper
  • Early Times (old bottle), 90 proof (I believe)

He had some other novelty bottles - Beam Choice in the decorative porcelain containers and some Old Fitzgerald bourbon in hollowed-out candle stick looking things....

OK - the file size pic is too large...not sure I can post pics...I'll see if I can find a way

JFlay

OldFitz2.jpg

Mixed2.jpg

Edited by JFlay
Picture upload

Found a way to upload the pics...I will snap some clearer pics of the Wellers bottles.  The pic of mixed bottles also includes a bottle of old Tequila and a Ballantine's 30-year old scotch he had laying around.  The bottle with the small crown on top was labeled BPR Straight Bourbon Whiskey...never heard of that one.

Wow. How cool to have a bottle that was barreled almost 70 years ago! Very Old might have been appropriate in the 60s?

Paddy - why upright?  My grandfather used to keep them titled to the side...his reasoning was that the liquid keeps the cork moist so it will not dry out.  Saying that, all of the corks feel like sawdust....

Paddy, I also heard that you should turn the bottle every couple of months if unopened in order to moisten the cork. Is this true as well or BS?

not that I'm storing any for too long anyway, but I do have a OFBB on my sons birth year for the future and don't want to ruin it.

No, the bottle on its side or tilted to keep the cork moist is only valid for wine. Spirits such as bourbon with higher alcohol content has an adverse effect when kept in contact with the cork... It can actually degrade the cork and taint the flavor of the bottle contents. I have had first hand experience with this in the past with a few old bottles of bourbon that had also been stored on their side for a number of years by a friend of my dad. Unfortunately the bourbon was definitely effected by it's method of storage.

I figured that, but should you periodically turn it over for a second, or is the whole moistening the cork thing false? I'm talking only turning it over for a second a couple times a year or something.

2 hours ago, JFlay said:

Paddy - why upright?  My grandfather used to keep them titled to the side...his reasoning was that the liquid keeps the cork moist so it will not dry out.  Saying that, all of the corks feel like sawdust....

The cork is the weakest link.  Undisturbed, with a proper seal, stored upright, and away from direct sunlight... your whiskey has a better shelf life than most of us here.   

The anal retentive, i.e. many members here, also use parafilm wax for long term storage. 

https://redwhiteandbourbon.com/2015/02/17/parafilm-is-your-friend/

And no, you don't need to turn or flip it ever so often.  In this case, it's best to leave well enough alone...

Edited by Paddy

On 9/15/2016 at 11:15 PM, Paddy said:

The anal retentive, i.e. many members here, also use parafilm wax for long term storage.

And by "long term storage" we mean until next Tuesday.

I was hoping to keep most for a bit - already broke into the I.W Haroer and the bottle of Early Times - both a crazy full of flavor and taste. Also tried some Old Fitz that was in the hollowed out candlestick...also full of flavor. Wish they still made bourbon this way. 

Also so just found a bottle that was made during prohibition which has the US restrictions label stating it is "for medicinal purposes only"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.