Pappy 23 Year Old

BSS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We have not shipped all the 23-year Pappy yet. I am holding back a few bottles for special customers, like you guys. If you know which store you want the whiskey shipped to, let me know & I'll contact the distributor.

Or, I have the names of some stores around that may be willing to ship some to you.

Tonya?

Some of the black bags were left over from the first bottling of 23-year in 1999.

A company in New York made them too small. Sorry about that.

You should have tried to put on hundreds of those things!

Julian

I have bottle number 1029 of the 23 year old. My fiancé got it for me as a Christmas gift. She picked it up at the Louisville Liquor Barn. I was very lucky to get it in light of the length of the waiting list.

Just a general question for anyone reading this page, has anyone opened and tasted their 23 year old? I have not opened mine yet. I guess I am afraid that if I open it, it will disappear and I won't be able to get my hands on any more. So, if anyone has tried their 23 year old, I would be interested in their comments on how it stacks up to the other wonderful Van Winkle bottling.

Ike

I haven't yet opened one. Waiting for a get together with other bourbon geeks so we can have a grand old time sharing thoughts.

I have to agree with Mr Ed, drink up!!! drink.gif

You would hate to have your friends over just to find out that there is something wrong with the Pappy would ya? It's a moral imperative to test the bottle to prove it is worthy of good friends. lol.gif

Oh my, what did I say? I hope I haven't incurred the wrath of St Bourbonia, patron of the elixir of life by even THINKING such could happen. Please don't turn my Pappy into S____H!!!! bowdown.gif

I LOVE YOU GUYS! And I'm the one always preachin' to drink up. OK. I'm moving this weekend, and I was thinking of Champagne, but...maybe the "grand cru" of Bourbon will just have to do as I unpack. If I can just get that darn little black bag off... grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I still haven't opened my bottle of 23 year old. However, I did buy a glass of it at a restaraunt in Louisville, KY last weekend.

It was amazing. Truly some of the best bourbon I have ever had in my mounth.

Julian, thank you for putting out such a great product.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I just closed my eyes and forced myself to pull off that wax seal tag on my 23 year. My hands were a shakin', my heart was a poundin', I shared a wee hospitable bit with one of bourbon drinkin' neighbors. POWERFUL. That's all I can say at the moment. Now I need some time to sit back and ponder...

• 1 year later...

(Sorry about the sorry picture -- but it will do for its purposes.)

You see here the remains of my two Pappy 23s -- the Lawrenceburg green-tint bottle on the left, the Frankfort on the right. I opened these at the late Sampler in April.

So, now what? I admit to having enjoyed them 2-3 times since April (hey, I bought them, after all!). But I'd feel stupid, selfish and embarrassed if I just poured them out into a glass one evening (or week of evenings) and finished them off.

First, I just searched the "Tasting" section of the forum without finding a single note on Pappy 23. I did an ad hoc, informal L'burg v. Frankfort comparison in the chat room one night. Should I repeat it here? Or would you rather have notes about each individually?

Second, I am perfectly willing to tuck them in a dark place and return them to the Gazebo in September for those who might not otherwise ever sample it. (I do not make this offer lightly, mindful that I may or may not ever own another example of these bottlings. But, as I said earlier, I HAVE enjoyed them...) However, that's still almost 3 months away, and the Frankfort bottle has been down below a half since April. Too long? Should I transfer it to a smaller bottle or leave it alone?

Please advise.

post-367-14489811954013_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.