BTAC

JTaylor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, elmossle said:

It is official, BTAC is out in the wild in NC. Managed to score a bottle of GTS after sweet talking my local ABC store employee. One of the bigger stores in town got a whole 6 bottles total! I was shocked as they got 6 cases of the stuff last year. The bottle I ended up with was designated for a restaurant like the other 5 bottles. I can't imagine maybe 1 or 2 from other stores actually made it into retail customers hands. Best of luck hunting out there kids. It is getting worse each year.

And so it begins....

7 hours ago, jvd99 said:

And so it begins....

Ahhh, Yes!    I will be watching ; but NOT participating in the insanity.      If I get a call from my favorite retailer, I'll be happy to pay a reasonable mark-up over retail; but nothing extravagant (and, I don't think he'd ask anything much over retail... he's that kind of friend).    If I get a bottle, I'll be happy to open and share my good fortune with him, and a few others who will appreciate it; if I don't ...Oh Well.

On 9/29/2016 at 10:45 AM, JTaylor said:

!

Unopened bottles.png

Fantastic bar but I have to say, for someone with such interest in HIGH QUALITY Bourbon, your taste in beer leaves a lot to be desired, ;-)

I'm not certain, but it looks like Virginia's BATC allotment and Pappy 20 will NOT be available via lottery this year as they fulfill back orders.  Other Winkles will go lottery.  But on the plus side, Blood Oath Pact 2 is now available :unsure:

9 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I'm not certain, but it looks like Virginia's BATC allotment and Pappy 20 will NOT be available via lottery this year as they fulfill back orders.  Other Winkles will go lottery.  But on the plus side, Blood Oath Pact 2 is now available :unsure:

They're notice certainly read that way. The even led you to believe it could be a number of years before they make it into lottery. 

Got word yesterday that this years gonna be tougher than ever. Apparently more stores and restaurants keep requesting BTAC that have never carried it. Unfortunately BT didn't send me samples, so I had to go ahead and say which I wanted more. William Larue Weller. Can't go wrong with that one.

Liquor Barn in Lexington had a lottery for BTAC yesterday. I'm told there were 90 bottles and 450 people...

41 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Liquor Barn in Lexington had a lottery for BTAC yesterday. I'm told there were 90 bottles and 450 people...

Ether than my odds still

LB's in major cities evidently had the lottery. Satellite cities didn't get any of the allocation at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, JTaylor said:

20% doesn't seem like bad odds at all

20% doesn't seem like bad odds at all

No kidding. Far better odds than any place in my town.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email today... I got a T.H. Handy Rye and a Weller 12. I think that's as close as I'm gonna get! I'm happy though... that Handy is like candy in a glass!

On 10/25/2016 at 9:14 PM, JTaylor said:

Got an email today... I got a T.H. Handy Rye and a Weller 12. I think that's as close as I'm gonna get! I'm happy though... that Handy is like candy in a glass!

Opened the W12 last night... I must say I was underwhelmed... Hardly any nose, hot and thin mid. Decent finish but not the stunner I expected it to be... I'm hoping it is because I had SAOS 10 and SAOS SB first. I'll give it another go tonight. I've already mixed up a 60:40 SB Blend so I'll give that a shot too. 

3 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Opened the W12 last night... I must say I was underwhelmed... Hardly any nose, hot and thin mid. Decent finish but not the stunner I expected it to be... I'm hoping it is because I had SAOS 10 and SAOS SB first. I'll give it another go tonight. I've already mixed up a 60:40 SB Blend so I'll give that a shot too. 

Weller 12 is (was) a terrific value play at $25-30.  In that price range for 12 yr age stated wheated bourbon it was in a class by itself. But it's not a BTAC level pour. Wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately the current market has hyped it beyond its ability to deliver. 

19 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Weller 12 is (was) a terrific value play at $25-30.  In that price range for 12 yr age stated wheated bourbon it was in a class by itself. But it's not a BTAC level pour. Wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately the current market has hyped it beyond its ability to deliver. 

Yes, I get that... I never expected it to hit BTAC expectations, but at $31 (Plus all the hype) I expected it to have more/better taste than MM or WSR and to at least be comparable to OWA, but I found it not even close... that's why I said I may have ruined my palate by hitting both SAOS's first and especially the single barrel... I went back to my SB Blend last night and found an amazing nose and delicious pour so I'm betting (hoping) that it was my issue and not the Weller's... :)

On 10/31/2016 at 7:58 AM, JTaylor said:

I don't pretend to be the most sophisticated bourbon taster, but while I enjoy the Weller 12 quite a bit, I'm not sure I prefer it to OWA, either. I typically like my bourbons a little higher proof, so the OWA is more up my alley (although it loses a little bit in complexity). 

With that being said, I'd personally go for MMCS or one of the MM Private Barrels in a pinch, if you want a high proof wheater that's possible (albeit it much more expensive than W12, at least at MSRP) to obtain. 

On 9/28/2016 at 0:52 PM, jvd99 said:

IMO the best way to get unicorn bottles in this climate takes commitment to one store, befriending (sincerely) the manager/owner who is in charge of how the LE's are sold to customers and to spend money at that store all year round (including beer, wine, soda, other booze, cups, etc.), and to make sure that one guys knows you spend there, and often, for all your liquid needs.  I also go to tastings at the store and drop off samples of some of the nicer bottles for my contact so he knows I open them and don't bunker everything or flip.  When the Fall rolls around, have a conversation and tell him how happy you'd be to have an opportunity to buy one these unicorns.  Hopefully you built up enough goodwill that the employee will have you in mind when LE's come in and you'll get one, because most likely, they will never, ever, hit the shelf.  This sounds easy, but can take months or even years, however, I guarantee it will pay off one day.  What I've learned from talking to store employees is that more and more, they are making efforts to not sell LE's to flippers, strangers, once a year shoppers, big spending wine guys and the like.  They would rather sell to true bourbon enthusiasts, but you have to make your self known with your friendship, dollars and loyalty all year round. 

I have to agree. I still can't believe it, but Tuesday I got a call from a clerk I befriended buying my favorite beer. He said he got something special and I was the first one he thought to call. A ten minute car ride later I scored a bottle of wlw. I was so appreciative I bought him a case of beer. He said he'd keep an eye out for me in the future. Being nice to people really is everything.

Well, it's official, at least I'm told it is.    My main retailer (who bought two barrels of Buffalo Trace this year!) was told he won't be getting ANY BTAC.    The distributor told him he hadn't done enough business (I guess selling Sazerac products) to qualify for any bottles at all.     For informational purposes... the owner of this establishment tells me that he sells more liquor than any other retail store within several cities up and down the Detroit River, and several cities West of the area as well.

I'm a little bummed; but I'll pat my wallet, and drink what I CAN buy (and afford many more bottles to boot).

41 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Well, it's official, at least I'm told it is.    My main retailer (who bought two barrels of Buffalo Trace this year!) was told he won't be getting ANY BTAC.    The distributor told him he hadn't done enough business (I guess selling Sazerac products) to qualify for any bottles at all.     For informational purposes... the owner of this establishment tells me that he sells more liquor than any other retail store within several cities up and down the Detroit River, and several cities West of the area as well.

I'm a little bummed; but I'll pat my wallet, and drink what I CAN buy (and afford many more bottles to boot).

I wonder how much was allocated to Michigan... one of my main LS told me he has to sell 75 cases of Saz stuff to get any BTAC... He's supposed to be getting some ETL tomorrow so I wonder if he'll get any BTAC with it... The only one I got was a Thomas H. Handy but that was from a store in Indiana. I've not seen nor heard of any BTAC in Michigan... 

A buddy of mine put his name on the list with a local VA ABC store for the BTAC . . . Three years ago.  They called him today to let them know he got a WLW.  He's since moved about a thousand miles away, so he's going to call and see if I can pick it up for him.  I'll hold it for him until the next time he's up here I guess.  I'll probably use that as an excuse to buy a bottle of Larceny, which I enjoy but can't get in MD.

I was able to try a couple of pours of the new Saz 18 that a coworker brought down from KY. It was as delicious as expected. That's the closest that I expect to come to a BTAC anytime soon.

17 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

A buddy of mine put his name on the list with a local VA ABC store for the BTAC . . . Three years ago.  They called him today to let them know he got a WLW.  He's since moved about a thousand miles away, so he's going to call and see if I can pick it up for him.  I'll hold it for him until the next time he's up here I guess.  I'll probably use that as an excuse to buy a bottle of Larceny, which I enjoy but can't get in MD.

By the book I believe they're not allowed to have someone else pick it up and it's supposed to be sent back to Richmond (for the next person on the list). 

The local store may deviate from policy and sell it to you though. 

29 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

By the book I believe they're not allowed to have someone else pick it up and it's supposed to be sent back to Richmond (for the next person on the list). 

The local store may deviate from policy and sell it to you though. 

I'm not surprised.  I'll let him sort it out, though.  I'm willing to make the drive for him if he gets the okay, but I'm not going to make any phone calls or anything.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.