Jump to content

What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2016-17


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

On 1/30/2017 at 1:20 PM, Whiskey Dick said:

 

 

 

One of, if not my absolute, favorites.

 

I had just bought and discovered I 'kinda' liked it, when I heard they were stopping production of it. I went out and loaded up on 7 and 8 year bottles, leaving almost a case on the shelf. went back a week later and they were all gone.

 

I still have 5 unopened and still feel I have to ration them.

 

The SAOS SB bourbon is almost as good. I've been collecting those lately too.

 

I imagine SAOS or someone else will eventually put out a similarly aged MGP barrel proof rye, but it will be years down the road, and likely significantly more costly. My first one was $45, the last ones I stockpiled were almost $60.

Doesn't Redemption already put out a similarly aged MGP Barrel Proof Rye (higher cost of course) I've had the 7, 8 & 9 all at tastings and enjoyed all I like to think that it is similar enough to the SAOS SB's that I missed out but obviously don't know as I missed that boat. I do love the regular 7 yr SAOS Rye though and still have access to plenty of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Paddy

    31

  • flahute

    30

  • 0895

    21

  • BFerguson

    13

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Doesn't Redemption already put out a similarly aged MGP Barrel Proof Rye (higher cost of course) I've had the 7, 8 & 9 all at tastings and enjoyed all I like to think that it is similar enough to the SAOS SB's that I missed out but obviously don't know as I missed that boat. I do love the regular 7 yr SAOS Rye though and still have access to plenty of that.

 

In my mind the Redemption bottles are more oak forward. I think both are really good but prefer the SAOS because it's a little more balanced. And that's setting aside the fact the SAOS barrel proofers I have stashed away were $40 (I absolutely regret not clearing the shelves at that price!). 

 

This evening I'm going with a different barrel proofer — a store pick of WhistlePig. This is to me way better than the standard bottling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't top Tigerlam with the Rathskeller, but drowning the failure of interface testing tonight at work with some Rittenhouse 21yr is not too bad.

B


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

 I do love the regular 7 yr SAOS Rye though and still have access to plenty of that.

 

 

haven't those been discontinued too? I'd buy every one I could find, which seems to be none anymore. the 99 proof 7 year was almost as enjoyable as the barrel proof ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
justanuthercap

Also had a bit of High West MWND act 4/5 I believe, but I had it after an Alberta Dark Batch.  Glad I had them in that order, if I had the MWND first, the Alberta would have tasted a lot worse. May have to see if my local guy has another of these MWND left, it's VERY tasty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

some 3 year WFE distilled rye barrel proof. an interesting rye interpretation, very different from the MGP profile. I like both, but still prefer the MGP. Given another 5 years though, to equal the MGP 8 year BP bottles I have open, may level the playing field.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started this snow day off with a Chai and Rye. Chai tea and Rye whiskey is an incredible combination. Used Redemption 7 Year this time since I'm out of SAOS BP and will likely never see it again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2017 at 5:42 PM, BFerguson said:

I can't top Tigerlam with the Rathskeller, but drowning the failure of interface testing tonight at work with some Rittenhouse 21yr is not too bad.

B


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Rittenhouse 21yr is fantastic.  Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

SAOS 7yr, this bottle was bottled on my birthday in 2015 so at this point my goal is to make it last until my birthday next month with about 25% left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2017 at 10:37 PM, Whiskey Dick said:

some 3 year WFE distilled rye barrel proof. an interesting rye interpretation, very different from the MGP profile. I like both, but still prefer the MGP. Given another 5 years though, to equal the MGP 8 year BP bottles I have open, may level the playing field.

 

I really enjoy the 3 year as well.  Excited to see what happens to this as it ages...

Tonight, a manhattan.  Not bad, but the 3 year rye is delicate and easily damaged by the vermouth.  Add the vermouth sparingly...

 

IMAG1822[1].jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

by the time WFE rye gets 8 years old though, it'll be priced too high, I assume. Don't they kinda do the $10/year idea? In which case, at 8 years old, they'll ask $87, and I'll pass, regardless. Hope I'm wrong!

Link to post
Share on other sites

This weeks pours have been Rittlepig (50/50), Pikesville and WT101.  Enjoying some of the 101 at the present. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

by the time WFE rye gets 8 years old though, it'll be priced too high, I assume. Don't they kinda do the $10/year idea? In which case, at 8 years old, they'll ask $87, and I'll pass, regardless. Hope I'm wrong!

 

Or, by then, you can adopt the Madhatter Whiskey Pairing Strategy. For each $87 bottle of high quality hooch, buy a $13 dollar bottle of HH 6 yr BIB.  Then for an average of $50 each, you have a high end bottle plus a bottle of perfectly serviceable basic bourbon.  Win-Win for an average cost of $50 each.  That gets you a bottle of something considered top quality instead of two lesser $50 bottles.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one "LE" I really look hard for each year.

2016's (act 4) was very fruit forward and I'm thoroughly enjoying the bottle.

Just look @ that color!

:)

 

IMAG1823_1.jpg

Edited by 0895
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 7:24 PM, 0895 said:

 

I really enjoy the 3 year as well.  Excited to see what happens to this as it ages...

Tonight, a manhattan.  Not bad, but the 3 year rye is delicate and easily damaged by the vermouth.  Add the vermouth sparingly...

 

IMAG1822[1].jpg

I prefer the 3 year neat vs. in a cocktail.  i don't know if I'd call it delicate, but it loses what I call "freshness" when mixed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I prefer the 3 year neat vs. in a cocktail.  i don't know if I'd call it delicate, but it loses what I call "freshness" when mixed.  

It kinda looses itself completely when mixed.

I did 2 shots of rye to 1/2 shot of antica vermouth and it just vanished.......

 

I agree.  Much better on its own.

Trying to finish this bottle off tonight, but alas it's getting the best of me.

Excited by what's on deck for when this is gone....

Edited by 0895
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 0895 said:

It kinda looses itself completely when mixed.

I did 2 shots of rye to 1/2 shot of antica vermouth and it just vanished.......

 

I agree.  Much better on its own.

Trying to finish this bottle off tonight, but alas it's getting the best of me.

Excited by what's on deck for when this is gone....

 

Thanks for the Willett comments Clueby and 0895.  I have a 3 Yr waiting to be opened and will try it neat first.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 year Willett small batch (finished)

&

Whistlepig 10 year store pick tonight.

 Definitely going back for more of this!!!

 

Wonder if they do case discounts.........

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I am comparing apples to oranges somewhat but I finally opened my Lot 40 and don't like it nearly as much as Pikesville Rye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.