Woodford Reserve Brandy Finish

Thig
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After having been burned by Woodford Reserve special releases in the past I am hesitant to try this, especially at $99.99.

13 minutes ago, Thig said:

After having been burned by Woodford Reserve special releases in the past I am hesitant to try this, especially at $99.99.

You are wise, Grasshopper.

3 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

If Woodford Reserve Special Releases were emails, they would never make it past my spam folder.

"Like" (as if on facebook)

If Woodford Reserve Special Releases were emails, they would never make it past my spam folder.

Quote of the month for sure.

I was actually touring the distillery on Monday when they were billing this.  Despite this, I won't be buying it either.  The guide mentioned that they're significantly increasing the number of bottles of their masters collection this year.

On 10/14/2016 at 11:06 PM, foster016 said:

The guide mentioned that they're significantly increasing the number of bottles of their masters collection this year.

Bad idea on their part.  More shelf turds.

Woodford likely doesn't care as long as they aren't sitting on Woodford's shelf!

And with anything that is even slightly "special" selling these days they will probably be able to move them without much trouble. Especially to on premise accounts (particularly ones just now starting to try to cash in on the bourbon/whiskey craze and don't know that much about bourbon) and probably newer store owners who haven't done their homework and just want access to something that appears to be limited.

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Woodford likely doesn't care as long as they aren't sitting on Woodford's shelf!

And with anything that is even slightly "special" selling these days they will probably be able to move them without much trouble. Especially to on premise accounts (particularly ones just now starting to try to cash in on the bourbon/whiskey craze and don't know that much about bourbon) and probably newer store owners who haven't done their homework and just want access to something that appears to be limited.

Good point. I stand corrected. 

I have a sad confession... I have woodford's master collection each bottle the last 6 years.

Never even tried one of them, I just like the presentation of the bottles and how they look on the bar.

I was born in woodford county, that's my only excuse.

Also to mention, every other limited bottle I always open and drink.

• 1 month later...

The brandy cask Woodford just showed up around here about two weeks ago.  My retailer friends are selling it mostly to new "trend" buyers who have little to no experience with Woodford Master collection releases.  Those who have purchased master collection releases in the past are leaving it alone.  In my humble opinion, it will sell fairly well simply because of the bourbon craze presently glazing the eyes of the trendsetters who simply MUST try anything new and trendy.  It's a shame because Woodford Reserve, distiller's select is a pretty decent bourbon in its own right.  Ah well, to each his own.

I've never bought or tried any of the others, but this one intrigued me. It is definitely at the upper end of my price limit on any bottle I will buy, but I decided to give this one a try. Anyways, I think you guys might just be surprised with this one, because I think it is really good. In fact, I liked it so much that I went out and found another bottle and bought it. I'm trying to decide whether or not I get a third bottle before others realize how good this is. YMMV

Intrigued as well, so picked up a bottle myself.  I tend to enjoy finished bourbons as an interesting subset on my bar.  The Woodford pot still house profile can indeed be off-putting at times, and seems to be more pronounced in the MC releases.  But, my hope is that the finishing in this release will impart some good things and work well.

I spent some time with this yesterday, and it's not even close...The best release in the Masters Collection to date.  Now, if you don't care for any Woodford, and don't care for finished bourbon, stop reading and give this  bottle no further thought.  It ain't for you.  And I'll admit, the bar is pretty low for this to be the best from the series, as the previous releases have ranged from positively undrinkable to odd but somewhat drinkable.  For my tastes, this us so, so, SO!! much better than those.  The Brandy finishing is very forward, and did exactly as I had hoped, and transformed the WR house profile.  They work wonderfully together.   Syrupy, and right up there with the better High West finished whiskies such as YKY and MWND.  I suspect malt lovers (particularly Sherry finished fans) might like this, and it does have a scotchiness to it.  I am going to seek out a second bottle, which is well beyond the "who can I get to drink the remaining 700ml of this trash" that is my usual day after attitude with MC releases.

It's the 11th hour, but this had slid in to my slot for bourbon of the year.  

I spent some time with this yesterday, and it's not even close...The best release in the Masters Collection to date.  Now, if you don't care for any Woodford, and don't care for finished bourbon, stop reading and give this  bottle no further thought.  It ain't for you.  And I'll admit, the bar is pretty low for this to be the best from the series, as the previous releases have ranged from positively undrinkable to odd but somewhat drinkable.  For my tastes, this us so, so, SO!! much better than those.  The Brandy finishing is very forward, and did exactly as I had hoped, and transformed the WR house profile.  They work wonderfully together.   Syrupy, and right up there with the better High West finished whiskies such as YKY and MWND.  I suspect malt lovers (particularly Sherry finished fans) might like this, and it does have a scotchiness to it.  I am going to seek out a second bottle, which is well beyond the "who can I get to drink the remaining 700ml of this trash" that is my usual day after attitude with MC releases.

Now the cats out of the bag and I'll have to go get a third bottle before too many more people figure out how good this stuff is. I am happy to know, however, that it's not just my odd tastebuds that like this stuff. I wish it was a bit cheaper, but it is what it is. I also had another pour last night, and after enjoying my glass, I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to seek out another bottle, but now you've solidified my decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/4/2016 at 0:48 PM, smokinjoe said:

I may do what I said I would not do based on your review.  I have available 2 bottles at 99.99 which is high but I have paid more for less.  If you mentioned price I did not see it but at that price point would you still be a buyer?

45 minutes ago, Thig said:

I may do what I said I would not do based on your review.  I have available 2 bottles at 99.99 which is high but I have paid more for less.  If you mentioned price I did not see it but at that price point would you still be a buyer?

This sort of conversation isn't for the forums.    If you want to do this sort of thing think about Private Messages.    Don't want to get into trouble.....

This sort of conversation isn't for the forums.    If you want to do this sort of thing think about Private Messages.    Don't want to get into trouble.....

What did I say wrong, I am only asking about the price point at which it would not be a good buy.

..."would you still be a buyer" sounds like a negotiation.   If I'm wrong, forgive the remark.   Just trying to folx out of trouble.

..."would you still be a buyer" sounds like a negotiation.   If I'm wrong, forgive the remark.   Just trying to folx out of trouble.

Rich I appreciate your concern but I have been here long enough I hope no one thinks I am trying to sell or buy bourbon over this forum. Perhaps I worded my question poorly. What I was asking is, If you found one for sale at that price would you buy it. I have NEVER flipped a bottle, I only buy to drink and I have never purchased from a flipper.

I think most the WRMC retail around $99.99 Thig.

What Richnimrod is talking about I have no clue?

Thanks, it's all good, I could have worded my question better. It's Friday, time to have a drink.

Joe normally sucks me into being a buyer with his reviews but I don't tend to like finished bourbons so my shields are still holding.

1 hour ago, Thig said:

Thanks, it's all good, I could have worded my question better. It's Friday, time to have a drink.

Rich is nuts.  Don't listen to him.:lol:That was the price I paid...$99.99.  So, I would go again at that price.  Do I remember you particularly liking the 1792 Port ?  If I am remembering correctly, then the Brandy forwardness shouldn't go against your palate, and would be approachable.  

Rich is nuts.  Don't listen to him.[emoji38]That was the price I paid...$99.99.  So, I would go again at that price.  Do I remember you particularly liking the 1792 Port ?  If I am remembering correctly, then the Brandy forwardness shouldn't go against your palate, and would be approachable.  

Yes I love finished bourbons done well. I wasn't so happy with the Yippee-Ki-Yay realizing it is a Rye but the finish came through a little too much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.