Elijah Craig 12yr

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok....I have 'found' a bunch of Elijah Craig 12yr, the bottles with the red 12 on the front for around $32 per bottle, first time I have seen the red 12 in about 6 months, obviously old shelf stock and this liquor store is out in a rural area, with it changing over to NAS and the new bottle design now out in stores is it worth grabbing them, couple to drink couple to save kind of thing.

If you like EC in general and that's about your normal price, bunker away!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'd buy them all as I love the old EC12.  But, if you haven't tried it, and don't know it if you like it, and you're just buying because you think you'll be able to "flip" them for a profit any time soon, I think you'll end up with a lot of EC12.

Kind of like asking an aquarium full of sharks if you should have seafood for dinner, eh?  I guess whether you should buy them or not depends on your bourbon preferences.  I don't like EC12 much, so I have not set any aside.  If a bourbon I liked were going away forever, I would absolutely set a goodly quantity aside.

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

Kind of like asking an aquarium full of sharks if you should have seafood for dinner, eh?  I guess whether you should buy them or not depends on your bourbon preferences.  I don't like EC12 much, so I have not set any aside.  If a bourbon I liked were going away forever, I would absolutely set a goodly quantity aside.

That's the thing with this. I don't think we will be seeing this going away forever, just take a sebatacle and come back with a higher price tag similar to EC18. In my opinion it was one if the best values for a 12 year you could always find on the shelf. Now it's become a phantom.

I do like EC 12, in fact I think I like it better than some of the EC 18 I have had, and you never know how things turn out with regards to value in the future.

I am building my collection based on what I like to drink, but at some point it will go to my son and if there is some $$$ value in that for him I would be happy.

54 minutes ago, JNeff33 said:

That's the thing with this. I don't think we will be seeing this going away forever, just take a sebatacle and come back with a higher price tag similar to EC18. In my opinion it was one if the best values for a 12 year you could always find on the shelf. Now it's become a phantom.

It's certainly possible.  ECBP (which I also don't like) still bears a 12 year age statement, but it wouldn't shock me to see that go away eventually, and see a premiumized 12 year age stated product released.  I would hope they would just raise the price of ECBP and leave things as is, but who knows.

I'm just glad it's not my brand.

I'd snap them up as EC12 is a favorite of mine.  I still lament those cases of EC18 Single Barrel sitting on the shelves at Costco for $45.  Should have bought a pallet.  Anyway, as I said, it's a known favorite of mine that's going/gone away which is the only reason I'd snap them up.  Buying bourbon for anything other than drinking is likely a fools folly.  Like baseball cards in the 80s.  If you want to collect and pass value to your son, I'd stick with real estate or gold. :)  

EC12 has a special place in my heart as the first bottle of a bourbon other than Maker's or JB White Label that I ever bought. Sipping the EC 12 I felt like my eyes were opened to the possibilities of bourbon and I happily dove down the slippery, wonderful, slope into whiskey dorkiness. I have one last bottle of age stated 12 year unopened in the bunker. I've been trying to figure out the special occasion upon which I will open it, because it probably isn't a special occasion bourbon for anyone but me. Perhaps today is the day: I can celebrate birdie's find!

New to the forum and relatively new to the world of bourbon, but as well am enjoying this 12 year. My local guy who I spend lots of time bs'ing with has the 1.75 L bottle with age statement on it and is $80, decent price?

1 hour ago, mike9903 said:

New to the forum and relatively new to the world of bourbon, but as well am enjoying this 12 year. My local guy who I spend lots of time bs'ing with has the 1.75 L bottle with age statement on it and is $80, decent price?

$80 is a little harsh for EC 1.75s, at least where I live. Is he specifically charging more for the ones that still have the age statement? Or is that his General EC price? As a point of comparison, the Total Wine near me sells EC family size for $54 (+tax)

no he is not charging extra for the age statement, I only go to this guy and have cultivated a relationship with him so I don't think he is screwing me over. Like I said I really have no idea though, I will go by total wine tomorrow and see what the difference is. 

I bought some 1.75L bottles of EC12 with the 12 year age statement on the front today for $62.99 plus tax. That's the highest I've ever paid for it. My last purchase price before today was $58.99. EC12 is one of my favorites, so I've bunkered a few bottles. $32 for 750ml and $80 for 1.75L is a little pricey, but if you really like EC12 and want to have some available for future enjoyment, you might have to spend the money. The NAS EC is still pretty good, but I suspect that over time it will slowly change to a different product, especially with the new bottle and labeling coming out. I also believe that EC12 will be resurrected at some point at a price point between the new NAS EC 1789 and ECBP...my guess would be around the $45 price point since ECBP is generally between $60-$65 in my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

Mike, it looks like you live down in Wellerland (Texas). If you are near a Specs, look for OWA or W12.

Yep, I already have two weller antique 107 (I don't know all yawls abbreviations!) and from what I have heard the weller 12 year should be fairly easy to find around me. Think the rep even said some of the antique will show up at my local store. 

As for the price, I would rather pay a little more for a bottle and support locally then go to specs/total wine. Doing that got me birthday bourbon and possible EHT barrel proof tomorrow and has led to meeting some really cool guys that I can drink with. I do need to calm 

I do need to calm down with all the buying though, I am spending too much and not getting a chance to drink it for medical reasons! That being said I will probably by that EHT tomorrow and possibly Parker Heritage 24 tomorrow....

There's a small rural LS out here in East Texas that's still got 3 or 4 of the EC12 Red 12's. i think they've been sitting on the shelf for a while because they're just $21. 

Since I've enjoyed EC12, I've set a few back in the bunker. EC12 x 5 and 2 family size bottles. I figure when they rerelease it in a few years at a higher price point, I'll get to sip on the cheap goodness, knowing I was prepared for this moment.

Buy it!  I was just a wee lad when I was buying EC12 for $14.99. It has always been worth $35+ to my palate. In today's market I might put the flavor to dollar ratio  well into the 40's. Again, buy every damn one of them and drink the hell out of them without looking back. 

Ok, so I was out running errands in a different part of town than I am usually in. Stopped into a couple stores just to see if I could find anything interesting.  I found some EC12s at two stores. One store had the classic label with the red 12 in front for $26 + tax, and the other store had the ones with the 12 moved to the back label for $24+ tax.

So I'm trying to decide which to buy. Presumably the same juice (different batches but both still age stated). I like the red 12 bottles, but is it totally stupid to pay $2/bottle extra for that? I'm not quite sure.....

36 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Ok, so I was out running errands in a different part of town than I am usually in. Stopped into a couple stores just to see if I could find anything interesting.  I found some EC12s at two stores. One store had the classic label with the red 12 in front for $26 + tax, and the other store had the ones with the 12 moved to the back label for $24+ tax.

So I'm trying to decide which to buy. Presumably the same juice (different batches but both still age stated). I like the red 12 bottles, but is it totally stupid to pay $2/bottle extra for that? I'm not quite sure.....

First World Problems Buddy!

17 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I'd buy them both.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I'd buy them both.

I'm going to buy several whichever way I go. I think the store with the red 12s had 6 or 7 of them and the other place had like 15 of the bottles with the 12 on the back

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.