Hirsch 16yo, nOOb question.

dooley
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally got some, i've wanted to try it for years and finally found someone in the Uk with it.

It's a fantastic drink but now i'm worried, how much is left?

Will I be wandering around in 10 years time, kicking myself for not buying a case when I had the chance?

If you can find a whole case and can afford to, you might want to bunker it as it for sure won't get cheaper. Once it's gone you can say sayanara. I've heard that there is quite a bit of the 16 left for distribution, but for how long?

I agree, buy some now. Look at the 20 year old... What once was selling for around $80 went to $120 and quickly thereafter went to $200 and some places ( rolleyes.gif) are out of their minds asking for $600! I was shocked to see while making this post they just raised it from 2-3 days ago from $400 to $600. Thats absurd if you ask me...

I have a small store up the street with one bottle of 20yr for 157.95 and just haven't had the nerve to fork out that much yet. But I am tempted. If anyone is willing to pay that price, I would be happy to pick it up for them.

Dane

Popped open a bottle of Hirsch 16 year before the holidays. I have New York City's largest bourbon selection in my retail wine and spirits store and figured I deserved a "Christmas bonus." blush.gif Darn good drinkin'. Elegant, smooth, spicy...booze to conplemplate life over. I have to say that it's right up there with my Pappy 20. But it is a shame when retailers try to rape customers over a "rare" item. I guess it's the old law of supply and demand. I never got to try the 20 year.

I have New York City's largest bourbon selection in my retail wine and spirits store

I'll have to be sure to swing by some day when I'm going to the in-laws in Maspeth. Just so long as you aren't going to rape me with Manhattan prices! lol.gif As you can see I live in S.I. but work in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge). Hey, I've got an open Hirsch 20, you hook me up and you can give it a try. bowdown.gif

Just so long as you aren't going to rape me with Manhattan prices! ... Hey, I've got an open Hirsch 20, you hook me up and you can give it a try.

Since I'm in Brooklyn, I guess I'll have to do it to ya Brooklyn style. blush.gif Seriously, though, I think you'll find my prices darn reasonable. And bring on the Hirsch 20! yum.gif Maybe I can do a side by side tasting with the 16.

I'm going to try and swing on by during my lunch sometime soon and if I cannot, I'll come on in before I do a 3-11 shift. And hey, I'll bring the hirsch 20 as long as we both can do a quick side by side to 'take the edge off' before I head on into work toast.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for Stagg yesterday, found two bottles of Hirsch 16yo and an original-issue Lawrenceburg Pappy 23yo (for $146!!!) -- grabbed all three, not knowing when/if I'll ever see either again. Guess another Stagg (I already have one half-gone and two bunkered) will have to wait another payday.

Just got the heads up yesterday from an "inside" friend of mine in the NY area. He said he was told at a recent sales meeting that the Hirsch price in NY is going up $200 bucks a case wholesale in March. Shame is, they still have 100 cases in NY...AND 3000 supposedly ain't even been released yet. Made me sick to my stomach. It's gonna put it up to $64 wholesale. Just crazy. I'm gonna try to pick some more up at the current price just to have it before it gets any more insane.

Just when you thought Hirsch 16yo couldn't get any cheaper, Sam's prices it at $32.66 during their annual February sale.

Here's a link to the sale catalog. Bourbons are on page 39. Sam's Feb Sale

post-207-14489811378405_thumb.jpg

I still haven't opened any of the four bottles I bought when this latest bottling first became available. Has anyone hereabouts verified that it's still as fine as ever? (I suppose I could break a long-standing rule and open a new bottle before I empty the one I already have open.)

At a price such as this, I'm starting to get suspicious. At least I'm glad I didn't buy a whole case at the introductory price, which I almost did.

Yours truly,

Dave "Now where did I stash that order when it arrived?" Morefield

I tried opening the catalog, but got an error message saying "Can not find the color space named Cs6" (or something like that). Because of that, I can only see the normal price, not the sale price. Well, it wouldn't make a difference anyway, since Sam's doesn't ship to PA frown.gif

SpeedyJohn

DSOB, while I've not tried a previous bottling, I did take Sam's up on their first offer last Sept. I'll have to tell you that the current stuff is a bargain at twice the price. If I was able, I'd buy a case of it. Don't delay.

toast.gif

SJ,

I failed in my first several tries, not to download, but to save the .pdf file.

I finally decided to upgrade my Adobe Acrobat reader, as a nag screen had implored me to do for some time. After I did so, I had no further difficulty. If your version is not 6.0.1 (IIRC), you may benefit from downloading the new version.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

...a bargain at twice the price...

Thanks, DNOB; that description matches the Hirsch of old. (Some would argue that on uniqueness alone it's worth even more than that.)

If I decide I can afford a case, that will mean that I can't afford something else. If I were Soros, Buffet or Gates, I'd just buy it all and be done with it. grin.gif (Heck, if I were one of those guys, I'd probably reopen the Michter's Distillery. grin.gif)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

If you come up with that kind of money give me a call. I think we could work something out.

John Ed

• 2 weeks later...

My case of Hirsch 16yo showed up a couple of days ago (at $32.66 a bottle, it is a steal). "Uniqueness" is a good way to describe this drink but in a very positive way ..... not as sweet as we normally see in a bourbon...but smooth and spicy. BTW, my local discount retailer carries it at $65 per. Now you know why I bought a case. Also picked up two VW Reserve 12 yo for $25 ay Sam's. My wife is definitely getting suspicious over the growth of my bunker.

Randy B.

I exchanged emails this week with Henry Preiss, whose Preiss Imports (San Francisco Bay area) controls the Hirsch bottlings. He replied to my query about remaining stocks thus:

"Hi Tim,

The 20 yr old is available at only a few retailers around the USA. The 16 yr old stocks are around 2500 cases and available broadly around the USA.

Best Regards,

Henry Preiss"

My assumption from that is that ALL the 20yo is distributed, and only what you can find on a store shelf is still available. The 16yo stock is dwindling (the last reference I saw had it at 5,000 cases, so it's been halved), but not yet expired. Getting near now-or-never time, though, it seems.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.