Welcome to Straightbourbon.com™

Straightbourbon.com is the internet's foremost source of curated bourbon discussion. A free membership gets you access to additional forums, real time chat, our private messaging system, half a million posts, and thousands of fellow enthusiasts. Join today, and become part of a vibrant community dedicated to America's whiskey.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnbowljoe

BOTM 11/16: Jim Beam Double Oak

Trick Or Treat! :ph34r: I'm on time for a change.

 

I saw this on sale for $19.99 a few weeks ago, so I bought a bottle. I figured what the heck. After trying it, and reading the thread about it, I thought I'd give it a go for this months BOTM. 

 

I don't quite know what to make of Beam Double Oak. It seems to taste different every time I have a pour. One time it's dry with a heavy wood flavor and the Beam "funk" right up front. The next time it tastes better. A bit of the Beam "funk" is still there, but not quite so apparent. Nutty with, as others have said, vanilla and spice. Add a cube or two, and it's different yet. With some ice, it seems more earthy, with mint and a musty, grassy flavor almost reminiscent of BT from a few years back. A different bird for sure. It's a tweener for me. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It's decent enough, but I doubt I'll buy another bottle. One real positive for me at least. Like I posted in the regular thread about Beam Double Oak, I really do like the new bottle. :D

 

Cheers and happy posting!

 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lou Grant to Mary Tyler Moore: "You've got spunk!"

MTM blushes and smiles at the supposed compliment.

LG: I hate spunk.

 

I other words, one man's feature is another man's bug.  I did go back for another bottle. I think it represents good value, especially when you can find it for $17.99, and is a significant step up from JB White: Nice cinnamon and spice, easy to sip neat without the rough edges of regular JB. I would take the DO over NAS JB Black--which I used to buy by the handle when it was "Double Aged" not the wholly undefinable "Extra Aged." True, I thought the double oaked thing was a gimmick--and it probably still is--but the bourbon itself was a pleasant surprise. Not nearly enough pleasant surprises these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QPR on this is good.  Oak is definitely amped up (in a good way).  It isn't overly refined, but it's not supposed to be is it?  I still prefer JB BIB, but this compares very favorably to WRDO at under 1/2 the price...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this one, but I consider it a "change of pace" bourbon. I agree that it changes from pour to pour. Sometimes it's sweet heavy. Sometimes it's more bitter. I always get that nice vanilla mint clingy finish which is my favorite part of this one. It's also a good warm weather pour as it reacts very favorably to ice. Since it came out in Early September, I've kept a bottle in the bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I continue to enjoy this whiskey, and appreciate it for what it is.  That is, a low dollar, upgrade of the Beam White label.  And, I think the upgrade in quality/enjoyment for me outweighs the slightly higher price over JBW.  The uptick in oak influence is well done and enjoyable.  Not every new release from the legacy distilleries should be expected to be game changers or the next "great thing".  I know that it is hard for enthusiasts like us to give serious consideration to new general releases, but a whiskey that stands on its own merits at its price point and shelf position should be as important to us as how the most recent LE matches up with other LEs or previous years releases.   Well, that's the way I look at it anyway.  

For me, JBDO is a solid whiskey that brings a different and well priced bourbon alternative to my bar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice choice Joe. This is similarly cheap this side of the pond and I've not tried it before so thought I would pick up a bottle and see what's cracking.

 

On 05/11/2016 at 8:28 PM, smokinjoe said:

 Not every new release from the legacy distilleries should be expected to be game changers or the next "great thing". 

 

This is a great sentiment and I think important when trying new things like this. It should be taken in context of what it's trying to improve upon which is Beam white and I for one think this is a solid pour for the price. As with other 'double oak' bourbons like Woodford DO and Michters Toasted it has that rather nutty smell and taste to it which I enjoy. It starts a bit thin but has a decent finish and the extra oak hides the young age well.

 

Well worth what I paid for it and I'll definitely enjoy the rest of it. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I am pleasantly surprised by this DO.  I like it better than JB Black and MUCH better than White.  It won't knock my OGD114 off the shelf, but it is a good change of pace and, at 17.99 per bottle, a decent value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:51 PM, Paddy said:

QPR on this is good.  Oak is definitely amped up (in a good way).  It isn't overly refined, but it's not supposed to be is it?  I still prefer JB BIB, but this compares very favorably to WRDO at under 1/2 the price...

What is QPR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, starhopper said:

What is QPR?

I think it refers to 'Quality/Price Ratio'.    But, of course I could always be wrong.    It could have something to do Quite, Peace and Repose.   ... but, I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I'm still having a hard time trying to figure this one out. The time before last that I had a small pour, sad to say I couldn't finish it. The last time I tried it, I had two pours. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, starhopper said:

What is QPR?

^^^What Rich said.  Currently seeing this @ $17.99 around these parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt the oak was way out in front in this one.  I look at it as an upgrade from JB white, when JB BIB isn't available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was considering a bottle of this or the jb bib. It sounds like both might be decent options...

I definitely liked the wrdo because it was pretty different. I'm not sold on the price of that though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had Jim Beam Double Oaked as part of a blind tasting at a bourbon party a few months ago and I loved. I bought a bottle and opened it last Saturday and the "Jim Beam funk" overpowered every other flavor. I put an ice ball in it (I usually drink bourbon neat) and it was still mostly funk. I moved on to OWA and then OF 1920 and I still had the Beam funk on my palate. The next day, it was still there. It is the same funk that I can't shake from Jim Beam White. It just tastes like hangover taste to me. I left the bottle at my father-in-law's house. Maybe with some air, it will be a better bottle. As it tasted the other night, it wrecked my palate. I wouldn't even trust it to not funk up a can of ginger ale or Coke. I'll try it again in a few months, or a few years and let you know what I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I had Jim Beam Double Oaked as part of a blind tasting at a bourbon party a few months ago and I loved. I bought a bottle and opened it last Saturday and the "Jim Beam funk" overpowered every other flavor. I put an ice ball in it (I usually drink bourbon neat) and it was still mostly funk. I moved on to OWA and then OF 1920 and I still had the Beam funk on my palate. The next day, it was still there. It is the same funk that I can't shake from Jim Beam White. It just tastes like hangover taste to me. I left the bottle at my father-in-law's house. Maybe with some air, it will be a better bottle. As it tasted the other night, it wrecked my palate. I wouldn't even trust it to not funk up a can of ginger ale or Coke. I'll try it again in a few months, or a few years and let you know what I think.

Are you certain it wasn't just a 'bad palate' rearing it's ugly head for a day?     I get that once in a while.    I usually can tell when the next pour of something different has the same negative nuances; that's why I ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Richnimrod said:

Are you certain it wasn't just a 'bad palate' rearing it's ugly head for a day?     I get that once in a while.    I usually can tell when the next pour of something different has the same negative nuances; that's why I ask.

It could have been. Jim Beam White is one of my least favorite bourbons, but I didn't think the Double Oak tasted anything like White the first time.

 

It was certainly a bad palate night, but I do not know if Double Oak was entirely to blame. It will be awhile before I revisit it to see, though.

 

I enjoy Knob Creek, but this makes me hesitant to give many Beam products a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tasted it at our distillery tour and wasn't turned off by it, but I like oak in both my bourbons and red wines.  I had some WRDO at a Super Bowl party and to me it is superior to the JBDO.  It's more expensive but at this point in my life I'm not going to let a few dollars keep me from enjoying what I want.  I really find myself not being a huge fan of the Jim Beam products when that name is on the label but their other products, Basil Hayden's, Baker's, Booker's, Knob Creek, especially KC I do enjoy.

 

BTW, I was in a LS in Bardstown the other night and ran into a couple of ladies that work at Beam and they said that the JB White has been discontinued, which you may have already known, but I hadn't heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I tasted it at our distillery tour and wasn't turned off by it, but I like oak in both my bourbons and red wines.  I had some WRDO at a Super Bowl party and to me it is superior to the JBDO.  It's more expensive but at this point in my life I'm not going to let a few dollars keep me from enjoying what I want.  I really find myself not being a huge fan of the Jim Beam products when that name is on the label but their other products, Basil Hayden's, Baker's, Booker's, Knob Creek, especially KC I do enjoy.

 

BTW, I was in a LS in Bardstown the other night and ran into a couple of ladies that work at Beam and they said that the JB White has been discontinued, which you may have already known, but I hadn't heard.

 

I really enjoy the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and it does not remotely taste like Jim Beam Double Oak to me. 

 

I will no lament the passing of Jim Beam White. I wish that they would sell the Old Crow name to someone that would bring it back to its former glory. That OCD bourbon is supposed to be close, but at $60ish a fifth, I am reticent to make the plunge and buy a bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the JBDO when it came out and wasn't impressed then again at the Sampler still wasn't impressed so I'm out on this one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

 

BTW, I was in a LS in Bardstown the other night and ran into a couple of ladies that work at Beam and they said that the JB White has been discontinued, which you may have already known, but I hadn't heard.

Really? Really? What's the best selling bourbon in the world?  I forget its name off hand.  Like you, I didn't get the memo. What else were those ladies selling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

Really? Really? What's the best selling bourbon in the world?  I forget its name off hand.  Like you, I didn't get the memo. What else were those ladies selling? 

 

CLARIFICATION:  They were pointing at the clear one "Ghost"? not the white label.  My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^^^^^^Jacob's Ghost, may he now be able to rest in peace (again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^^^^^^Jacob's Ghost, may he now be able to rest in peace (again).

 

Jacob's Ghost. Wow. That's one from the past that hasn't been mentioned in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a bottle since I saw this posting as BOTM. I really like it and will likely get another bottle. I like the flavors, it is different to me than regular Beam. Good stuff and worth the 20 I spent for it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0