Dry Fly Bourbon?

jd1585
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone ever try Dry Fly Bourbon? It was suggested at my local liquor store and they had a few selections that looked pretty decent.

JD

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bottle of their Straight Tritical Whiskey. Got it on a close-out so was not too much $. It was young but very flavorful. It's the only whiskey I've ever had made from a triticale mashbill, so can't say it was better than others. But found it to be a well-made whiskey. The hard part I find with craft whiskeys is value; I would recommend trying their stuff its not to expensive.

Agree to the cost concern.  A month ago I bought a Dry Fly Triticale whiskey, 3-years aged.  Nice smooth, well-made whiskey.  But, here in tax-happy WA state, it cost $60 out the door.  A bit pricey, don't you think?

That does seem pricey for a 3yr whiskey. I bought mine because it was on close-out for $30, which made taking a chance on it easier. 

• 4 weeks later...

Triticale is good, so is their vodka. But I didn't care for their bourbon.

WA is tax crazy. I generally only buy booze at the class 6 on post.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:14 AM, jd1585 said:

Anyone ever try Dry Fly Bourbon? It was suggested at my local liquor store and they had a few selections that looked pretty decent.

JD

Yeah I've had the dry fly 101, it was very good at first from what I can recall but I still had about a quarter of a bottle the next day and it developed some kind of a skunky bitter/sweet taste to it.  It was actually very tasty at first but obviously drinking it as much as I did it seems the oxidation process may have over some of the unwanted taste????   It was spice/bitter/sweet the next day but at the same time I was utterly wreck less with it and can't really remember much of the notes of the 101 prior to it tasting it the next day which tasted skunked.  I didn't have any complaints when I opened up the bottle though. 

I'm sure if I bought a fresh bottle and poured a neat glass in my Glencairn it would probably taste very good.  It might be worth picking up a bottle of the 101, no harm in it.  I haven't bought it since but that's most likely because of my stupidity in drinking it in one night and not enjoying it the next day.

Edited by Malakai432

On 1/22/2017 at 4:51 AM, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I've had the dry fly 101, it was very good at first from what I can recall but I still had about a quarter of a bottle the next day and it developed some kind of a skunky bitter/sweet taste to it.  It was actually very tasty at first but obviously drinking it as much as I did it seems the oxidation process may have over some of the unwanted taste????   It was spice/bitter/sweet the next day but at the same time I was utterly wreck less with it and can't really remember much of the notes of the 101 prior to it tasting it the next day which tasted skunked.  I didn't have any complaints when I opened up the bottle though. 

I'm sure if I bought a fresh bottle and poured a neat glass in my Glencairn it would probably taste very good.  It might be worth picking up a bottle of the 101, no harm in it.  I haven't bought it since but that's most likely because of my stupidity in drinking it in one night and not enjoying it the next day.

Interesting. I often find I like bottles when I first open them vs letting air in. The only that I liked better after sitting a few days was Makers 46 cask strength and Bookers. That is just me though.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, jd1585 said:

Interesting. I often find I like bottles when I first open them vs letting air in. The only that I liked better after sitting a few days was Makers 46 cask strength and Bookers. That is just me though.

Yeah same here, for the most part but the Dry Fly didn't seem to air out well.  It could've also been because I kind of went through it too fast to really try to enjoy it.  I may give it another go sometime. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.