Jump to content

Zaya Rum goes NAS


Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

Zaya Rum, which previously carried a 12 year age statement, is now NAS. This seems to have happened earlier this year, but the new bottles just started showing up in my area. I didn't see anything on SB about this change...perhaps, like me, nobody here drinks Zaya regularly.

 

A summary of the changes, as far as I can tell: Instead of the circular sticker stating "aged 12 years" it now either has some sort of symbol or just has a large 12 (a la VOB) - pictures vary. On the main front label, instead of "Aged Trinidad Rum" (at the top) it now says "Blend of 12 Aged Rums", and where it used to say "12 year old" it now says "Gran Reserva". Here's a link to Zaya's official website, with the updated info and label: http://www.infiniumspirits.com/brands/zaya_rum/zaya_rum.html#homeView

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, Kpiz said:

Zaya Rum, which previously carried a 12 year age statement, is now NAS. This seems to have happened earlier this year, but the new bottles just started showing up in my area. I didn't see anything on SB about this change...perhaps, like me, nobody here drinks Zaya regularly.

 

A summary of the changes, as far as I can tell: Instead of the circular sticker stating "aged 12 years" it now either has some sort of symbol or just has a large 12 (a la VOB) - pictures vary. On the main front label, instead of "Aged Trinidad Rum" (at the top) it now says "Blend of 12 Aged Rums", and where it used to say "12 year old" it now says "Gran Reserva". Here's a link to Zaya's official website, with the updated info and label: http://www.infiniumspirits.com/brands/zaya_rum/zaya_rum.html#homeView

 

Let me guess, the price is the same (or higher!). Was a decent rum in the past at a pretty affordable price (around $30 as I recall) but not one I ever found a need to search out after the first bottle. And at that price point maintaining a 12 year old age statement (presuming of course it was true to begin with) seemed like a challenge, even in rum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

Let me guess, the price is the same (or higher!). Was a decent rum in the past at a pretty affordable price (around $30 as I recall) but not one I ever found a need to search out after the first bottle. And at that price point maintaining a 12 year old age statement (presuming of course it was true to begin with) seemed like a challenge, even in rum.

 

Good guess! The price has certainly not decreased.

 

Maybe I'll stumble across a bar that has both the new and the old bottle and I can do a SBS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I always thought Zaya, at least since the switch,  played the list the oldest age in the vatting game so 12 years meant a little of 12 yr and a lot of younger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, berto said:

I always thought Zaya, at least since the switch,  played the list the oldest age in the vatting game so 12 years meant a little of 12 yr and a lot of younger.

It's rum.  Who knows what it is...or, in it...:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It's rum.  Who knows what it is...or, in it...:lol:

 

As Bryan Davis from Lost Spirits once said, rum is the "Wild West" of the spirits world

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

 

As Bryan Davis from Lost Spirits once said, rum is the "Wild West" of the spirits world

I think more like, "The Island of Knights and Knaves"...:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is indeed little way to know for sure the true age especially with rum in particular but Zaya did label the bottle as 12 years old until recently rather than the more common way to fabricate the age by calling it a "Solera" like Zacapa does for example. But with the new label changes the 12 supposedly refers to the use of 12 different rums, some of which is allegedly 18 years old according to the website. Probably not a lot of it but some!

 

Maybe.

 

<_<

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.