What is going to be your Holiday bottle this year?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just  curious what you all have planed for your holiday whisky purchase this year. 

I love hearing everyone's pick. 

I have not not picked mine, but more than likely will be Lagavulin 18

Ive bought so much over the last couple of months that it's hard to justify a "just because" holiday purchase.

I'm going to be overseas for work and then visiting family, so likely whatever my Father in Law has around.  Hopefully Lagavulin 16.  I may bring him a bottle of something tasty, since we'll be staying at their house.

6 hours ago, BigPapa said:

I have not not picked mine, but more than likely will be Lagavulin 18

Laga 18?  Do you mean this year's Feis Ile or did you mean Laphroaig 18?

Whoops wrong thread... Whilst I'm here though... My Xmas bottle is a single cask Springbank 21 from the Old Particular range. And some Glenfarclas 21.

Edited by beasled

18 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Laga 18?  Do you mean this year's Feis Ile or did you mean Laphroaig 18?

Nice catch... I meant to say Laphroig. Thanks 

On 11/18/2016 at 8:00 AM, BigRich said:

Ive bought so much over the last couple of months that it's hard to justify a "just because" holiday purchase.

I was thinking the same thing.  Then I thought "Oh, I just OPEN one of those for the holidays!" . . . and discovered they're all already open.  

F@#$ it - I'm pouring some 15 month aged egg nog for the holidays.  

I was thinking the same thing.  Then I thought "Oh, I just OPEN one of those for the holidays!" . . . and discovered they're all already open.  

F@#$ it - I'm pouring some 15 month aged egg nog for the holidays.  

15 month? Damn Gary. Mine will hit a month pretty close to Christmas. I guess I need to set monthly reminders to start batches monthly from January forward. That way I can test them all to see what is optimal. Uh for science.

I've got some kahlua stashed away i made in the summer of '15. We used to drink this stuff fresh off the stove. I couldn't keep up. I was pouring it from the pot on the stove into my wife's glass hah. At some point that stopped so we should have some good stuff to open. Having a pour of a 7-11-15 batch right now actually, usually save for after dinner but the caffeine could do me some good right now after chasing around our 2 year old all day.

Edited by dcbt
typo

13 hours ago, BigRich said:

15 month? Damn Gary. Mine will hit a month pretty close to Christmas. I guess I need to set monthly reminders to start batches monthly from January forward. That way I can test them all to see what is optimal. Uh for science.

I wanted to do that, but it is such a pain to make in a small batch (I mean, at some point you).  I will say - I made a batch and tasted it throughout the year, and it seemed after about 6 months I couldn't tell if it was much "better".  To be honest, these are jars I sorta forgot about until this summer when they hit a year, so rather than make more - I opted to let them ride :)  But if you start making monthly batches in January, I'll stop by in December to help with the blind tasting.  You know - for science ;) 

11 hours ago, dcbt said:

I've got some kahlua stashed away i made in the summer of '15. We used to drink this stuff fresh off the stove. I couldn't keep up. I was pouring it from the pot on the stove into my wife's glass hah. At some point that stopped so we should have some good stuff to open. Having a pour of a 7-11-15 batch right now actually, usually save for after dinner but the caffeine could do me some good right now after chasing around our 2 year old all day.

I'd never thought of making homemade kahlua!  Mind sharing your favorite recipe for that?

It depends what it around this time next month, but I've been wanting a bottle of JW Green Label for quite some time.  Or maybe an Arran Machrie Moor if I can find one.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I've had an Arran malt, so I'm looking at the Machrie Moor or the sherry finish.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, Megawatt said:

Been a while since I've had an Arran malt, so I'm looking at the Machrie Moor or the sherry finish.

Always found the Machrie Moor to be a bit underwhelming with regard to peat. It was like they couldn't decide to go for it or not. Instead the ended up with something closer to wet dog flavor. Perhaps that explains the label...

I would definitely lean towards the sherry. They did a single cask, cask strength sherry a couple of years ago that I really liked but it has now gotten pretty spendy (what hasn't?). I think they do a new single cask BP release every year.

9 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Always found the Machrie Moor to be a bit underwhelming with regard to peat. It was like they couldn't decide to go for it or not. Instead the ended up with something closer to wet dog flavor. Perhaps that explains the label...

I would definitely lean towards the sherry. They did a single cask, cask strength sherry a couple of years ago that I really liked but it has now gotten pretty spendy (what hasn't?). I think they do a new single cask BP release every year.

Funny, I've read lukewarm reviews but when I tried it recently at a bar it really hit the sweet spot for me.  I've decided I don't care much for super-peaty whiskies but I prefer a balance between peat and malty sweetness.  The Machrie Moor seemed just about right for my palate.  

Thanks for the feedback, though.  A new sherry finish has just been listed but nothing in stock yet...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.