Bourbon Barrel

Golferpimp1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was in a store today that had a barrell from 1792 that was from the store pick 1792 Full Proof. They were asking $100 for the barrel. Is this a reasonable price? Thinking may be a good addition to the sitting room by the bar or garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I agree with Smokinjoe.    These barrels aren't easy to come by.   Hell a new one probably would go for something like double that . . . IF you could even have a chance at one.    The smells and character of such a used one make it worth MORE than a new one in my opinion.   I'd grab it before the person making the offer changes his mind... Assuming you have a place for it, of course.      Good Luck!

^^^^What they said.  That's a very fair price, especially for a barrel that's only been used one time and still has some unique characteristics to impart on any spirit you choose to age in it!   

Well it made the trip home with me, along with two of the single barrel select 1792FP that came out of it.

21d9e717da7259379acf7c2bdac5fbdc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

Excellent!  Now, you'll have to do a little handiwork on the barrel to offset the shrinkage that will occur over time.  Some info here, as well as other places.

Wow! Does it make your bar area smell like a rickhouse? That would be amazing... I'd probably give double that for one in a heartbeat. Especially if from an especially tasty barrel of a selection from my local LS. Great addition to the bar!

• I like it 1

Excellent!  Now, you'll have to do a little handiwork on the barrel to offset the shrinkage that will occur over time.  Some info here, as well as other places.

Hmmm...didn't know this.. I'll have to do some searching around on the site. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow! Does it make your bar area smell like a rickhouse? That would be amazing... I'd probably give double that for one in a heartbeat. Especially if from an especially tasty barrel of a selection from my local LS. Great addition to the bar!

It adds a little smell...not a lot. If you get your sniffer up close to some of the areas with a few leaks it smells amazing.

54 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Hmmm...didn't know this.. I'll have to do some searching around on the site. Thanks for the heads up.

Yep, the staves will dry out and shrink over time.  This will cause the barrel hoops to fall down, and the barrel could ultimately collapse.    You'll want to nail/screw/staple the staves together in selective areas to keep it knitted together.  It's a great looking barrel!  So, I know you'll want to keep it on top shape.

• I like it 1

A few weeks back I picked up two Four Roses barrels that had the heads cut off (from the line of the first metal hoop) and all the staves separated and some cut in half. (All for a charity event). The heads went in the trunk and the staves were in boxes in the back seat. The smell was incredible. It was so strong as to be overwhelming after a while and I had to drive with the windows down. The smell then imparted itself into the upholstery of the car and wouldn't leave. I had no idea the smell could be so strong.

Not sure if it gets as strong with a still contained barrel but I imagine it could fill a room quite nicely over time if the staves were exposed.

• I like it 1

I like it; is 1792 burned/painted on to all 1792 bourbon barrels?  Or is that just something the distillery does for store select barrels.  It's damn cool either way.  

8 hours ago, Golzee said:

I like it; is 1792 burned/painted on to all 1792 bourbon barrels?  Or is that just something the distillery does for store select barrels.  It's damn cool either way.  

I agree!    The huge, stenciled '1792' really makes the look of this barrel.    I am officially jealous; even though I have no place in my small home to display a Bourbon barrel.

That is an awesome looking barrel.  I agree with the above posters that the stenciled 1792 really makes this barrel look great.

On November 27, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Golzee said:

They do stencil that on Private Selection picked barrels before sending it to the customer along with the bottles.  I  doubt they do with regular.  BTW, ETL barrels have the face of Elmer stenciled on the side of their PS barrels, which is really cool looking.

image.jpg

Edited by smokinjoe
Added pic
  • I like it 1

They do stencil that on Private Selection picked barrels before sending it to the customer along with the bottles.  I  doubt they do with regular.  BTW, ETL barrels have the face of Elmer stenciled on the side of their PS barrels, which is really cool looking.

image.jpg

Now you're just being a show off.:P

Hey; If I had such a barrel, I'd show it off every chance I got!    That is a righteous barrel for sure.    Good for you, Joey!

Heehee.  Unfortunately I kinda lose my luster when you recognize that I was the one who talked the group out of buying the second barrel right dang before ETL went on strict retail allocation and quit offering it as Private Selections.

FAIL!!!!!

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee.  Unfortunately I kinda lose my luster when you recognize that I was the one who talked the group out of buying the second barrel right dang before ETL went on strict retail allocation and quit offering it as Private Selections.

FAIL!!!!!

Well, nobody knew that was on the horizon, did they, Joe? 

If forgiveness is required... I, for one, forgive that small faux pas (if my opinion matters even a little).    I think all the other great stuff you've arranged for the GBS is evidence enough of your good intentions.   Hail to the Chief!!!!

image.jpg

Awesome!!!!

• 1 month later...

I love the 1792 barrell. I bought a wood ford reserve and a buffalo trace barrell last month. 100 bucks each. Nailed some small tacks above and below the rings as they had fallen and became loose. Seemed to fix it up pretty solid!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.