OGD and Beam funk

meadeweber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kpiz and Steve had an interesting discussing on one of the other threads about OGD and the Beam funk.  

I have often wondered why I get the Beam funk (which to me tastes like peanut) in OGD when from what I understand, it has a different mash bill and uses a different yeast.  I remember someone on SB a while back attributing the Beam funk to the yeast but this seems unlikely since, again as I understand, OGD uses a different yeast than the other Beam products.  

Any one out there have any insight on this?

Edited by meadeweber

Thank you for continuing this conversation. Unfortunately I do not have any insight on why OGD has the same funky quality that we associate with Beam and it's possible that only someone with deep knowledge of the details of their fermentation and distilling processes would know. However, I'll throw out a few possible culprits/scenarios and perhaps we can string together an answer as a group:

If it's the yeast, then perhaps...

• The different yeasts used for OGD and Beam are actually very similar
    • The yeast for OGD was supposedly retained from ND (correct me if I'm wrong), so this is unlikely
  • Beam has replaced the OGD yeast with their regular yeast, whether on purpose or by accident
    • This was speculated by BMC in the comments section of this Cowdery blog post from a few years ago
  • There is some cross-contamination of yeast in the fermentation tubs

If it's the distillation process...

• Is it the way their stills are cleaned? Are they making their cuts much differently than other distilleries? Is some or all of the trub being put into the still?
  • In a way this seems like flawed logic because fermentation and distillation are inextricably linked in whiskey production. Compounds in the distillate can only come from two places: the raw ingredients (water, corn, rye, barley), or from the yeast (each strain has different byproducts of fermentation and in varying amounts). So if their yeast is not producing some funk compound, then how is it ending up in the distillate? Are these flavor compounds normal in fermentation, but somehow Beam's stills allow them to carry through to the end product?

Or perhaps our minds are playing tricks on us...I have never tried any of the OGD lineup in a blind tasting.

It would also be interesting to know how many of us perceive Beam funk in Basil Hayden's. I haven't had it in a long time, so I can't speak to it.

Edited by Kpiz

I can't taste any beam funk in old grand dad, but I have only had the 114 and I'm by no means an expert like some on here are. I definitely register the funkiness in all of their other products though.

I should clarify that I don't get the "Beam funk" from OGD. It was the Dickel vitamin note that I was sometimes getting. Kpiz mentioned a flinty Dickel note that he got (which I interpreted as the vitamin note).

Regarding the Beam funk - I'm not sure what that is. On rare occasions, I get a peanut note, but not often. Not even with White Label.

The Dickel vitamin note from OGD 114 sure was surprising though.

I do get dry roast peanut note in OGD's, but it's not the stale peanut buttery note I get in Beam White and Black.

I've had bottles of OGD with a defined Beam note to them and bottles of OGD that are pure astringent glory. There seems to be a large amount of variation bottle-to-bottle right now with supplies being tight. Keep in mind, OGD can be supplemented with some Beam bourbon and still be a straight bourbon whiskey. So my theory is that during bottling or dumping, there may be some Beam bourbon accidentally OR purposely getting mixed in.

I like anything Beam over 100 proof, and have never noticed any 'funk'. You'd think if Beams stuff had a 'funk' it would show in spades in Booker's, yet I really like Booker's and never thought it 'funky'

I find the funk decreases with time in barrel but I can always pick out the Beams. As far OGD, take any proof and compare it to the 80s equivalents SBS and there is an enormous difference. I have had my wife do blind taste test several times and I always pick out the Beam. (And I am notoriously bad at blind test otherwise...very humbling.) The same goes for JBW. Compare current and 80s. Now I have wondered if some are more sensitive to the funk. My neighbor cannot tell that much difference. mhto

On 12/3/2016 at 6:06 PM, ethangsmith said:

So my theory is that during bottling or dumping, there may be some Beam bourbon accidentally OR purposely getting mixed in.

That is an interesting theory.  I guess that could explain it.

Kpiz also had some interesting theories.

I had a thought that maybe there is a "wild" yeast that grows in the Beam facility that is responsible for the Beam funk.  Could someone with more knowledge of the distilling process tell me if this theory holds water?

On 12/6/2016 at 0:09 PM, meadeweber said:

I had a thought that maybe there is a "wild" yeast that grows in the Beam facility that is responsible for the Beam funk.  Could someone with more knowledge of the distilling process tell me if this theory holds water?

I have thought the same thing...if I SBS taste several years of Beam from the 70s to current I taste the gradual influence of the funk increasing. There is no funk taste in mid 80s JBW, slight funk taste in the 90s stuff and distinct today.

1 hour ago, Dgriffin said:

It might be just me, but I taste similarities between Bookers and OGD114. Does anyone else get that?

Now that you mention it, I did get some similar qualities from my last bottle of Booker's (2016-01). I had never noticed it prior though. That bottle of Booker's was clearly different (to me) than past bottles I had.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.