Mini Oak Barrels?

Dgriffin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

33 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

Think he meant delusion but either way,  small barrels are a big waste. 

Thanks, Brian.  At least somebody came out of Ball U who could spell!  :lol:

1 hour ago, mosugoji64 said:

Think he meant delusion but either way,  small barrels are a big waste. 

I was joking, but if people want to experiment with their own blends and aging more power to them. Can you find better and cheaper bottles already made and on retail shelves? Sure. I've never used them, but I don't see the harm. 

20 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

I was joking, but if people want to experiment with their own blends and aging more power to them. Can you find better and cheaper bottles already made and on retail shelves? Sure. I've never used them, but I don't see the harm. 

Since OD is being serious, so will I, sort of.  I have two, maybe three, partial 750s of different bourbons I just can't stand.  I have tried vatting, adding vanilla, adding maple syrup, diluting, etc., and nothing worked.  I was within days of pouring them out (like I already did with the WR Classic Malt experiment from a couple years ago).  Maybe a mini barrel or two . . .

Just my grumpy opinion......... instead of spending money on a mini barrel, use that cash to buy a decent bottle or two of bourbon you know you like and pour the shitty stuff down the drain.

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks, Brian.  At least somebody came out of Ball U who could spell!  :lol:

Oh, Joe! You had me laughing out loud at that one! :lol:

6 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Just my grumpy opinion......... instead of spending money on a mini barrel, use that cash to buy a decent bottle or two of bourbon you know you like and pour the shitty stuff down the drain.

Gee, why gum up the works with something like logic, Gary? :P

I am not a huge fan of small barrel aging of what is a decent bourbon already. I suppose if it is something you don't like anyway then what the heck, go for it. But the presumption you are getting the equivalent of 3-4 years per week is not realistic in my opinion, anymore than the craft distilleries who use 15 to 20 gallon barrels to claim they get accelerated aging. They get accelerated color perhaps but I haven't had one yet that was the equivalent of a properly aged whiskey.

You might also want to invest in a simple hydrometer to see what the impact on proof is as well as the amount lost over time.

I find them fun for a briefly aged cocktail as mentioned earlier or for aging a white dog just to see what happens. I have also aged the occasional gin or other spirit just for the heck of it. Okolehao was my first of these (in this case a neutral cane based spirits from Hawaii flavored with Ti plant root). I left it in too long (several months) so it is a bit overly tannic but it was interesting at the very least! Got a tremendous amount of color but I wish I had tasted more frequently. Might have been even better with less time.

I did get a weird taste from putting it into the barrel. The barrel was a gift, so it was more of just an experiment to see what happened. You never know when your going to stumble onto something good.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:51 PM, Vosgar said:

LOL.  Trapped in the house for several days (well, not really but it makes a nice story), I decided the hassle of getting a small barrel, filling it, etc., was not worth the effort.  I betcha those sewer rats are having a great time.B)  Hence, I anticipated your encouragement, and I feel vindicated in my action to dump that shit.  Besides, the barrel would have taken up valuable shelf/basement/bunker space.  And, since I'm a spiller . . .

22 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

LOL.  Trapped in the house for several days (well, not really but it makes a nice story), I decided the hassle of getting a small barrel, filling it, etc., was not worth the effort.  I betcha those sewer rats are having a great time.B)  Hence, I anticipated your encouragement, and I feel vindicated in my action to dump that shit.  Besides, the barrel would have taken up valuable shelf/basement/bunker space.  And, since I'm a spiller . . .

Gosh Harry, I only considered the expense of buying the barrel. I should've thought about precious space being wasted and, of course, your valuable time!

Hmm, be interesting to age a bottom shelf BIB in the barrel first.  After you dump it, find a nice non-barrel aged Imperial Stout and age that for a month or two and see what happens.  Bonus points if you brewed the Imperial Stout.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:55 PM, GizmoStudent said:

No need to get serious Boy’s.
Let’s not forget it’s all about a person’s individual taste with
regards to bourbon and in the case of the little barrels -
If they also like to play around with stuff.

But, I must say that I was surprised at the positive results of what the
little barrel did to the taste and character of a NA, 107 proof, wheated
bourbon in the span of 30 days. (Again in theory: 12+ years)
So,
1. Will I try another little barrel?
    Probably.
2. Will my results be repeatable?
    Probably not.
3. Am I going to put Elmer T Lee in the barrel?
    No, ETL was my gateway bourbon and changes yearly anyway.
4. Will the little barrel remove the slight nail polish/acetone
     smell and taste from EC18?
    Hmmm, that would be fun to find out and I have 2 bottles left.
5. Will I put Oola Discourse “C” bourbon in the little barrel?
    No, why mess with IMHO a truly great bourbon.

Gizmostudent

I encourage the experimentation and applaud your good result! If you are having fun, it's worth doing.

My point is only that mini barrel aging as an alternative to rising bourbon prices is never going to be a sustainable strategy. 

On 1/10/2017 at 10:19 PM, Vosgar said:

Gosh Harry, I only considered the expense of buying the barrel. I should've thought about precious space being wasted and, of course, your valuable time!

TWO 1792 Full Proof bottles fit nicely in the space.  THANK YOU for encouraging me to do the smart thing.  I wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't had that gap.  Well, I would've bought only one.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

TWO 1792 Full Proof bottles fit nicely in the space.  THANK YOU for encouraging me to do the smart thing.  I wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't had that gap.  Well, I would've bought only one.

BTW Harry, if I ever get to DC, I want to party with you!

I got this little mini barrel for Christmas. I THOUGHT it was lined with plastic and was just a decanter. I poured about 2"-3" of the last of a bottle of EC12 into it right after Christmas.  I went to pour some from it tonight and what you see in the glass is almost all of what is left in the barrel. I'm guessing it was just oak inside and not charred. There was no char smell but there was no documentation with it so i have no idea and i can't see inside. I did rinse it with water quite a bit first and let it sit overnight first just to find out if it leaked.  Anyway, the whiskey that came out seems a bit lighter in flavor than some EC12 that was not in the barrel. A lot of the oak bite has been reduced. The smell is slightly reduced as well. But overall it is a bit smoother also. Tastes like EC12 with some water added. I'm not sure if i lost some to evaporation or to soaking into the wood.  There is also the possibilty that what is left was diluted with some of the water that may have been in the wood from my overnight soak..before then evaporating further.  This will probably just become decoration. Maybe I'll put the last of my Willett-distilled Old Bardstown in it. You can't hurt THAT!

20170119_210413-530x539.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.