Old Home Distillers, Lebanon NY

emr454
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A friend recently gave me a few samples of spirits made by Old Home Distillers in Lebanon, NY, about 20 miles from home. As close as they are, I decided to take a trip to the distillery on Tuesday. I was the only customer there and got a tour of their facility and spoke with the owner for almost an hour. They make a variety of spirits, including an unaged corn whiskey, Field Days Bourbon (aged corn whiskey), Brothers' Cut Bourbon, Single Malt Whiskey, a maple flavored whiskey, spiced whiskey, Applejack, and gin. There is a rye whiskey in the works, and the plan is to age it 2 years to become a straight rye whiskey. The whiskeys are aged in a mix of 10, 15, and 30 gallon barrels.

http://www.oldhomedistillers.com/home

The following reviews are the three spirits I tasted that were my favorites of their lineup.

20161230_142033.jpg

Single Malt Whiskey

-Batch 2, bottle 270

-43% abv/86 proof

-100% malted barley

-Aged 6 months in new, charred oak barrels.

The nose opens with biscuits and clover honey, and an oily barley note. Slight tannic black tea as well. Definite aroma of vanilla and caramel, no doubt due to the char in the barrel. The flavor follows the nose, adds a little brown sugar and a faint grassy/hay flavor. Unbuttered popcorn too? This whiskey ends with a slight bit of cinnamon and a decent burn on the finish. Tasty.

20161230_142011.jpg

Brothers' Cut Bourbon

-Batch 1, bottle 162

-46% abv/92 proof

-60% corn, 20% barley, 20% rye

-Aged 9 months in new, charred oak barrels

Oak, caramel, brown sugar, and vanilla up front on the nose. More fresh biscuits and honey on the palate, with black tea, cinnamon, and maybe cloves. I pick up some confectioners sugar and maybe slight peanut brittle. Again, decent warming burn on the finish, and what I call musty wood (but in a good way if you can believe that).

Old Home Distillers Gin

OHD uses their corn whiskey mashbill as their base spirit. Surprisingly, this gin reminded me of a drinkable version of Heaven Hill's Trybox unaged rye whiskey. Definitely got a distinct rye bread/caraway seed note in the nose and taste. Not surprisingly there is a young whiskey note on the palate, but not too young and rather tasty. I generally cannot stand gin because most taste like straight pine sap to me, but I would drink this straight any day.

I can definitely see returning to OHD and picking up more of these three products. Anxiously looking forward to their older-aged products in the future!

Eric

Edited by emr454
12-30: Added pictures

54 minutes ago, K4MJK said:

How is it bourbon and only aged 9 month?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as it meets all of the other stated requirements, 9 months is about 8 months, 30 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds longer than needed to meet the min requirement to be called "bourbon".   

"Straight" bourbon needs to be aged a min of 2 years.  An age statement is required if aged under 4 years.

Age requirements for the different classifications of bourbon are commonly misunderstood, as people like me make statements like I did above, that are often proven wrong...:D  I think I'm right, though...

1 hour ago, K4MJK said:

Under Federal regs re: standards identifying various distilled spirits, section 5.22(b)(1)(c) of Title 27 of the CFR describes bourbon whisk(e)y as ". . . whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, . . ., and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type."

There is no minimum amount of time the spirit must be "stored" in the new oak containers.

To be called "straight", section 5.22(b)(1)(iii) says the spirit must sit in the barrel for at least two years.

EDIT - Joe is correct. Further -- Of course, it'd be ridiculously expensive for a distiller to play the game of putting new make in new oak barrels for just minutes for the sole purpose of calling it "bourbon".  Heck, they'd have to charge close to $80 per 750ml to cover their costs.B)[I just made that $80 comment up.  The rest is gospel, though.]

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Just saw Joe's post - he IS correct.

1 hour ago, K4MJK said:

As long as you meet all the other requirements (proof off still, proof in barrel, etc.), all you need to do is pour the new make into a new charred oak bucket and walk it over to the bottling line, dump it, and you can call it bourbon.

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

As long as you meet all the other requirements (proof off still, proof in barrel, etc.), all you need to do is pour the new make into a new charred oak bucket and walk it over to the bottling line, dump it, and you can call it bourbon.

Man...we could call that bourbon 'lite', and exploit a whole new segment of the population!:o

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Man...we could call that bourbon 'lite', and exploit a whole new segment of the population!:o

Call it craft, give it a hipster name, with a hipster label, and a minimalist bottle, and we could charge $55 for it. 375ml even.

As a point of reference, OHD's products reminded me of the McKenzie bourbon made by Finger Lakes Distilling. I'll be (impatiently) waiting to try some of their whiskey once they start laying it down for 2+ years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.