Help Dating A Couple (lightly) Dusty Bottles

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Curious if anyone can help with an approximate dating for these two bottles?  The OF100 on the left does not say BIB anywhere on the bottle or label so it is simply OF100. 

The OF Sig on the right had the tag you see on the table in front of them -- the closest to any sort of "dated" copy reads:

Best in Class

2006 International Wine & Spirits Competition

ONE OF THE 16 OUTSTANDING STRAIGHT AMERICAN WHISKEYS

OLD FORESTER SIGNATURE

(FORMERLY 100 PROOF)

Renowned spirits and wine journalist

F. Paul Pacult, 2005

~

Thanks for any information -- if I can help with a better picture or by finding a code let me know!

OF100andSIG.jpg

Not sure when the switch from BIB/100 to Signature occurred but I think it may have been sometime in the late '90s-early 2000s. 

7 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Not sure when the switch from BIB/100 to Signature occurred but I think it may have been sometime in the late '90s-early 2000s. 

Thanks yes the copy on the inside of the hangtag is in fact introducing the new name -- the money quote:

To honor the legacy of our founder, we've given the 100 proof expression of Old Forester a whole new look, one that truly reflects its distinctively rich, full flavor.  We've also given it a new name, "Old Forester Signature." This uniquely satisfying spirit is crafted using the same time-honored methods established by Gerge Garvin Brown over 130 years ago.

Earlier paragraphs establish GGB's start-year as 1870.  So that fits your estimate perfectly.   Given the hang-tag, I assume this Signature bottle is from the first release of the new Signature product.  Also makes sense if it was crowding for elbow room with the previous bottle design.

I tasted them both and they're very similar. I'd give a slight edge in depth and richness to the 100 Proof.  The juice in both bottles is remarkably darker and I would say more russet-toned than the "diamond label" signature I found, and a great deal moreso than the most recent bottle of Sig I bought.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.