JPK

Bourbons with a lot of char taste?

JPK   
JPK

Hello Friends,

I'm trying to get a list together of pours that have a higher than average level of "char" in the taste.

Enough to actually tell it's there..and not necessarily in balance either.

From the very few I've tasted I would put these on the list.

EWB (the most assertive so far)

EW 1783 (just a little)

EB (I don't care for this pour..though I could taste some char..maybe because of the filtering after distilling?)

I'm thinking of trying fighting cock next as I've heard some talk of char in the taste.

I like the char taste and would enjoy sampling some well rounded pours that have a higher level than average char flavor.

Maybe I'll work on compiling a list of non-chill filtered bourbons...maybe they would have more particles of char left in them...?

Thanks for the help!

John

Edited by JPK

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

You might wanna try Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof.

It's not particularly complex or deep; but, it does have a good deal of char along with sweetness and cereal, and no shortage of proof-ahge.   HA!

It's pretty good for what it is, and I like it well enough that I replaced it before I ran through the first bottle.

JPK   
JPK

haven't seen it around these parts..but I'd be willing to try it for sure.

Thanks!

Limegoldconvertible68   
Limegoldconvertible68

Have you tried Cooper's Craft?  I've only had it once but I remember a lot of char in it.  I think it's only available in the south though. 

Harry in WashDC   
Harry in WashDC
6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

You might wanna try Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof.

It's not particularly complex or deep; but, it does have a good deal of char along with sweetness and cereal, and no shortage of proof-ahge.   HA!

It's pretty good for what it is, and I like it well enough that I replaced it before I ran through the first bottle.

What Rich said.   AND, I did the same thing - bought a replacement before I was halfway through the first one.  And, I now have two on the shelf in addition to the open one.  Can't be too careful.  You just never know what B-F is going to do with its spirit.

Also, I just finished off my KC 2001, Batch 1 (100 proof, BTW).  At $133 per, I won't likely buy another - just not 5 times better than basic KC which I like well enough.  BUT, sipping it neat reminds me enough of a 2" charcoal grilled bone-in sirloin steak that my mouth waters just thinking about it.

JPK   
JPK

never heard of Cooper's craft either.

that KC sounds like a winner!...dang!

Conquistador   
Conquistador

Many people on SB have said that W12 has a noticeable amount of char, to the point of being sooty.

JPK   
JPK

now that is interesting.. W12

Thanks!

Edited by JPK

flahute   
flahute
5 hours ago, Conquistador said:

Many people on SB have said that W12 has a noticeable amount of char, to the point of being sooty.

I was going to suggest this one but decided not to since it's impossible to find anymore. It's true though. It was one of my first impressions when I first started drinking it. 

Madhatter   
Madhatter
17 hours ago, Conquistador said:

Can confirm, wrt two bottles I tasted about a year ago.  The ashy/sooty came through in the finish.  If it was limited to a few poorer barrels, you would think that the master (ahem) blenders could have blended it away.  Since they didn't, it may have affected a larger number of bottles.  Recent tasting notes I've read haven't had the ashy criticism.

Paddy   
Paddy

^^^I think it was the '13 run of W12 where this characteristic was often cited.  Quite a bit of that distillate would have been sold into '14 as well. 

GrPeMi   
GrPeMi

Larceny

I frequently get a major hit of barrel char from  that.