Best Rye For a Vieux Carre

Limegoldconvertible68
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry to start a new thread and clutter the rye board but I'm very inexperienced with ryes. The only one I own is Crown Royal Northern Harvest and from what I've gathered reading here it's not well liked. I have all the ingredients to make a Vieux Carre(actually my wife bought them and I'm hoping to make a good one to wow her) what rye would be a good starter for me and the recipe. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Sorry to start a new thread and clutter the rye board but I'm very inexperienced with ryes. The only one I own is Crown Royal Northern Harvest and from what I've gathered reading here it's not well liked. I have all the ingredients to make a Vieux Carre(actually my wife bought them and I'm hoping to make a good one to wow her) what rye would be a good starter for me and the recipe. Thanks!

The Rye is certainly a matter of choice for each individual. I think the Sazerac rye makes a nice starting rye unless you want something more booze forward (and this is a boozy drink!). I think a good quality Cognac is also important here. I prefer the Ferrand 1840 if I have it as it is also 90 proof to match the Sazerac rye and quite good. My vermouth of choice is Carpano Antica but that lends its own character and most other good quality brands will work as long as it is fresh. If it is too sweet with that much vermouth then Punt e Mes can help make it a bit drier.

Vieux Carré from Kindred Cocktails

1 oz Rye
1 oz Cognac
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 t Bénédictine
2 ds Peychaud's Bitters
2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Some places will serve it down in a rocks glass over fresh ice or a single large cube. I prefer mine up with no ice which as I recall is how the Commanders palace will serve it. The Hotel Monteleone, which is credit with creating it, serves it down I believe.

Stir, strain, serve up.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

The Rye is certainly a matter of choice for each individual. I think the Sazerac rye makes a nice starting rye unless you want something more booze forward (and this is a boozy drink!). I think a good quality Cognac is also important here. I prefer the Ferrand 1840 if I have it as it is also 90 proof to match the Sazerac rye and quite good. My vermouth of choice is Carpano Antica but that lends its own character and most other good quality brands will work as long as it is fresh. If it is too sweet with that much vermouth then Punt e Mes can help make it a bit drier.

Vieux Carré from Kindred Cocktails

1 oz Rye
1 oz Cognac
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 t Bénédictine
2 ds Peychaud's Bitters
2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Some places will serve it down in a rocks glass over fresh ice or a single large cube. I prefer mine up with no ice which as I recall is how the Commanders palace will serve it. The Hotel Monteleone, which is credit with creating it, serves it down I believe.

Stir, strain, serve up.

Wow, I see why you are the Guru. I have been to New Orleans countless times, but I have never had a  Vieux Carre. Next time there I am stopping in at the Monteleone.

Regards, Jim

• I like it 1

Yes congratulations on your award!  You are greatly appreciated here and thank you for the advice. I have been afraid of branching into ryes but buying a Sazerac Rye has been an eye opener. It's perfect for the recipe. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.