The Pappy Van Winkle Price Gauge

Tastethedram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So for me I recently switched over from Scotch to Bourbon and I was able to try the Pappy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year and the poormans pappy 12 year for about $40 an ounce and $60 an ounce. That is just SO Ridiculous but I had to see what the hype was all about. Honestly I did not see much of a difference in terms of flavor profile from either and I am very sad for my wallet. So only after a few years the juice of these bottles all the way up to 23 year is just ridiculous and I personally do not think it is worth any of the hype. Just wanted others opinions. Maybe I am wrong, who knows. 

I don't think any of the Van Winkle line is worth the current hype or bar/secondary pricing. Keep in mind that today's pappy is also from a different source than the stuff that made the brand famous. I think many of the people on this forum will buy Pappy or other limited edition bourbons if they come across them at MSRP, but a lot of this crowd champions other products, often with a bent towards value. 

I've never had any of them so I would love to try them at some point, but I'll be just fine if I don't.  Plenty of other great tasting bourbon out there.

I've tried them all. Are they worth MSRP. Damn right they are. Passed on them all this year though. When asked what I wanted from the annual releases these weren't at the top. It doesn't hurt that I have multiples of each in the bunker either. Good Luck & read more on SB.com before starting a new topic. This site is responsible for the high quality bunker in my house. Not expensive bunker. High Quality bunker. Thanks to all the guys who take bullets for everyone to see what is good & what is terrible in the Bourbon World.

Cheers, Jeff

They're not worth top secondary by country mile, but they're worth trying to see what the fuss is about if you can find them in a bar at a 'reasonable' price.

There is a tens of pages long thread on 'all things van winkle' in the Premium Bourbon forum. Take a read there and 99% of your questions have been asked and respnded to multiple times. 

As a bourbon drinker/enthusiast/aficionado?/collector I've long felt a strong desire to obtain/experience something from the BTAC and PVW lines since I became aware of their existence. I felt they would probably be pretty good, but also would probably not be so incredible as to be worth the hyped prices (even retail) that they demand. I think BT must have a marketing genius on payroll. Either that or the stars all just aligned perfectly to create the mystique and hyped demand that would sustain these kinds of prices for all these years. I finally obtained one bottle from each line in 2016 (a THH and PVW23) at retail prices and while I cringed a little at the cost, I don't regret it at all. I tolerated the price more for the opportunity to experience them as a high profile part of my hobby than for anything else. Of course there is always the hope that you've just acquired some indescribably delicious heavenly nectar for all that cheddar, and if they truly turn out to be that then I might pursue them and their brothers again next year. If they're just pretty good whiskey, then I'll be able to make an informed purchasing decision if the opportunity presents itself next season...

Although the experience, and the pride of ownership when one can serve from his personal bottle of Pappy can't really be given a price that would be meaningful to everybody, I will say the distillate is good enough to be considered unique.

Is it that much different than many other options that sell for considerably less cheddar.   No.    It is fine Bourbon.    But, so are many others, and more than a few are more complex and interesting than Pappy.

I've never owned bottles from truly old vintages; but I've owned a 23 from about 5-years ago, a 20 from this past year, and a 15 from 5-years and one from 2-years ago, along with several ORVW's and a couple Lot B's.     For my taste buddies; the best of the bunch have been the 15's.    Would I pay aftermarket prices for any of 'em, now?   I can't imagine that I would.    If available at retail, I'd probably grab a 15, and maybe a 20 (because I have a friend whose wifey loves it, and I'd happily pass it through to him).

Edited by Richnimrod

8 hours ago, Tastethedram said:

So for me I recently switched over from Scotch to Bourbon and I was able to try the Pappy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year and the poormans pappy 12 year for about $40 an ounce and $60 an ounce. That is just SO Ridiculous but I had to see what the hype was all about. Honestly I did not see much of a difference in terms of flavor profile from either and I am very sad for my wallet. So only after a few years the juice of these bottles all the way up to 23 year is just ridiculous and I personally do not think it is worth any of the hype. Just wanted others opinions. Maybe I am wrong, who knows. 

I've never put a single serving of anything in my mouth that was worth that.  Well there was this ribeye in Texas...  But, if want to impress the guests?....

14 hours ago, RWBadley said:

Heheh- I read it twice as 'price gouge'- which I think is more correct these days :P

I also thought that was the intent. 

You know what you like and how you value things.  Me liking something or not or feeling something is well priced or not doesn't play a role in what you taste or are comfortable spending.  You've found the hype unjustified and while it cost more than might have liked you saved yourself money, time, and angst in the long run.  Drink what you like not what other people tell you you should like.

Tried some Pappy 23 at a bar, and it is probably reasonable value at 250-300 a bottle.  More than that and it is of dubious value.

10 years from now people will be slapping themselves in the face wondering how did they get sucked in to all the hype, paying 2000-4000.  It's almost like a drug addiction, this slavish devotion people have to all the BT limited editions.

Edited by Caskstrength

Dont forget the social appeal of Pappy. Many people gladly pay outrageous prices for it just so they can show off the bottle. When articles tout that even Billionaires can't get a bottle it really inflates a persons ego and self worth to be able to impress friends or clients. Pappy's price often isn't about what's in the bottle. 

I've only had the 15 year. Yep, it was good! But..... I will never pay that kind of jack for whisk(e)y of any kind!

I'm one of those weirdos that likes rye and high rye bourbons over wheaters.  I've so far tried the ORVW 107 and the Lot B, and wasn't impressed even at normal MSRP.  My favorite wheater is OWA, and I long for the days when there were shelves of that stuff for 20 bucks a pop.

On 1/20/2017 at 2:33 PM, RWBadley said:

Heheh- I read it twice as 'price gouge'- which I think is more correct these days :P

Ha, I second that comment.  But, I did enjoy at VWPR 12-year a few weeks back at a local bar.  Pricey, but worth the shot, at least once.

My bar pour of ORVW yesterday reminded me that its a decent bourbon, but nothing earth shattering. I think i probably prefer OWA over it, especially the SB OWA'S I've tried.

On 1/24/2017 at 3:13 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Dont forget the social appeal of Pappy. Many people gladly pay outrageous prices for it just so they can show off the bottle. When articles tout that even Billionaires can't get a bottle it really inflates a persons ego and self worth to be able to impress friends or clients. Pappy's price often isn't about what's in the bottle. 

Spot on.  Conspicuous consumption.  Nothing wrong with it either.  I'm in the value crowd, and have yet to taste anything, thats twice better than a $50 bottle of my favorite.  Much less 20-30 times better.   But still curious...always curious.....

I found a store that had a bottle of the Lot B for $199. As a bourbon it's not worth the price but as a social piece that's a fairly reasonable price. Maybe it means I'm shallow but being able to pull out a bottle of bourbon that has Van Winkle printed on it can be priceless in the right setting whether it be business or the in laws. I can certainly see where someone in the right environment could value the 15 yr or especially the 23 yr Pappy as a bargain even if it cost 5 digits. 

On Sun Jan 29 2017 at 8:41 PM, Clueby said:

My bar pour of ORVW yesterday reminded me that its a decent bourbon, but nothing earth shattering. I think i probably prefer OWA over it, especially the SB OWA'S I've tried.

I do like ORVW & havent yet opened my 2016 bottle, but I did do prefer OWA to Lot B. Ive got a couple OWA SB, & should open one of those when I open the ORVW for a sbs. At $80, the ORVW was 3 times the cost of the OWA SB. I doubt if it is better than 3 bottles of OWA SB. But it does look good on the shelf. 

16 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I do like ORVW & havent yet opened my 2016 bottle, but I did do prefer OWA to Lot B. Ive got a couple OWA SB, & should open one of those when I open the ORVW for a sbs. At $80, the ORVW was 3 times the cost of the OWA SB. I doubt if it is better than 3 bottles of OWA SB. But it does look good on the shelf. 

Local store is selling their OWA SB pick for $70.  Another store of the same chain has a non-SB OWA for $99.

Absolutely agree with limegoldconvertible68...while many on this board focus almost exclusively on the flavor value of their whiskey (which makes tons of sense), there are many other aspects of value that can include the instances of social value mentioned, among others

2 hours ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Absolutely agree with limegoldconvertible68...while many on this board focus almost exclusively on the flavor value of their whiskey (which makes tons of sense), there are many other aspects of value that can include the instances of social value mentioned, among others

Well then, I guess it is a good thing that I have no social life! Cheaper anyway.

7 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I found a store that had a bottle of the Lot B for $199. As a bourbon it's not worth the price but as a social piece that's a fairly reasonable price. Maybe it means I'm shallow but being able to pull out a bottle of bourbon that has Van Winkle printed on it can be priceless in the right setting whether it be business or the in laws. I can certainly see where someone in the right environment could value the 15 yr or especially the 23 yr Pappy as a bargain even if it cost 5 digits. 

There are probably lots of people who wouldn't waste a drop of VW on their in-laws :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.