Personal Solera Bottle

El Vino
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

Since I was off work today and its 25 degrees outside, I decided it would be the perfect day to start my 4R solera bottle.

I put approx 1.30 oz of all 10 recipes plus the two SmB LE's (2015 & 2016) I have open.

I also had to sample a few to make sure they were still good.... :wub:

The bottle is a little 375ml A. Bowman that I finished off the other night.  I really like the bottle and in order to justify keeping it with the wife, I need to make it useful (yeah, I know....but I don't have an empty 4R bottle right now).

Yes, it's slightly small, but so far so good.

I have not tasted the "mingle" yet.  Figure I'll wait a bit to let it get together.

Further 4R will be added to it in the future as I buy or open them.

:)

IMAG1794_1[1].jpg

IMAG1796[1].jpg

That sounds awesome. I don't have the LESmB's but I plan on doing something similar with the 10 recipes once I have the bar setup together. 

I do this in an old 1L Ancient Age 10yr bottle I saved. Every bottle of bourbon that gets opened in my house, the first pour goes into the mix, no exceptions. If it's an expensive or rare bottle, I only pour a tiny splash, if it's an everyday bottle, I pour maybe 4-5oz. If a new bottle of Tennessee whiskey is opened, I will add a few drops into the solera but not much, and I never add any scotch. I've never tried to keep track of what's in it and it's been running so long, there really is no way to track the component whiskies at this point anyway.  And if an odd bottle of bourbon has been taking up space on the bar for too long and only has 2-3oz left, in it goes too. 

What does it taste like? Bourbon.  I usually don't drink it straight but it's ok straight and just tastes like bourbon should.

What do I use it for?  Mainly just mixing. It makes great drinks without any one specific flavor note overpowering the drink. It's also good to take camping when I can't decide what one bottle to take, this one bottle is like taking them all!

On 2/9/2017 at 6:11 PM, 0895 said:

Ha, yes.  I just now realized I put 12 different in the bottle.

dSculpter nailed it!  

0895, please change the label on the front of the bottle to "A Dozen Roses". 

I added some Old Fitz BiB to mine after having a couple pours, which were a bit spicy thanks to the FR I think.  The OF calmed things down and I'm liking my experiment so far.

OWA, Weller SR, W12, RY10 in mine so far - letting it meld for a week or two more before tasting,  Then of course adding more..

13 hours ago, meadeweber said:

dSculpter nailed it!  

Will work on it.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 9:04 AM, meadeweber said:

dSculpter nailed it!  

IMAG1830.jpg

Tag: Startimg mine next week... I'll let you guys know what goes into mine and what the results look like:)!!

17 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

That is classy as f*#$.

Thank you sir.

I tried my best.  I also found my label maker.

It's now 13 different ones (added regular small batch yesterday), but.....oh well.  Not changing it to "bakers dozen"...

Btw, still haven't tried it, but it smells AMAZING!

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Thank you sir.

I tried my best.  I also found my label maker.

It's now 13 different ones (added regular small batch yesterday), but.....oh well.  Not changing it to "bakers dozen"...

Btw, still haven't tried it, but it smells AMAZING!

What are you waiting for? I would be trying some every time before you add another, just so you know. Maybe the dozen was the sweet spot or 10, or 9, get my drift?

IMAG1830.thumb.jpg.712b7733a239ee92ba760991bff99bf5.jpg

Very cool.

That Bowman bottle makes a beautiful solera. We look forward to reading your tasting notes on your dozen roses bourbon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, dSculptor said:

What are you waiting for? I would be trying some every time before you add another, just so you know. Maybe the dozen was the sweet spot or 10, or 9, get my drift?

I'm not going to drink it..... Jeez.... Don't you know this is worth $2500 now on spotbottle.....

Once I figure out how to seal the top with a Dusty tax stamp, it's money time!

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I'm not going to drink it..... Jeez.... Don't you know this is worth $2500 now on spotbottle.....

Once I figure out how to seal the top with a Dusty tax stamp, it's money time!

:lol:

It looks great!  Enjoy.

Put together my Fourty Roses tonight. Proof should be right around 113. I guess it's an 8 year age stated since the OBSK was young, but lots of 10+ year old in here too. 

IMG_3356.JPG

9 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Put together my Fourty Roses tonight. Proof should be right around 113. I guess it's an 8 year age stated since the OBSK was young, but lots of 10+ year old in here too. 

IMG_3356.JPG

What was that line about imitation & flattery..........???? ????

Looks wonderful.

We should combine forces.... Or at least hang out..... :)

Edited by 0895

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

What was that line about imitation & flattery..........???? ????

Looks wonderful.

We should combine forces.... Or at least hang out..... :)

I like to think of it more as great minds think alike.  

I did want to do this but my limiting factor was that I didn't have much space for opens and was trying to keep it limited to 10 or so total (and just two Four Roses).  Just finished off my basement and bar and now I have more room for opens (plus I restocked up on the F's while I recently visited Indy).  

I don't have any of the limiteds in mine as I don't own any (and even if I did I'm not sure that I would spare any into this experiment as my one taste of the 2015 LESmB was one of the best bourbons I've ever tasted).

20 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I like to think of it more as great minds think alike.  

I don't have any of the limiteds in mine as I don't own any (and even if I did I'm not sure that I would spare any into this experiment as my one taste of the 2015 LESmB was one of the best bourbons I've ever tasted).

Ha, perfect!

Yeah, confession......I put much less of that than everything else in there.  The 2015 LE SmB is probably the only bottle I have that I refuse to share with anyone.  Agree it might be one the best things I've ever tasted as well.  Certainly top 5.  Took me 3 months of searching in the fall of 2015 to find that bottle.

Edited by 0895

• 5 weeks later...

So I finally tried this.

My wife surprised me with an "Elliot's select" for my birthday recently, so when I added that to the solera bottle there was barely room to put the cork back in.

Shook it up good and took it to one of my favorite liquor stores to share with some of the staff.  Everybody went nuts.

Tasting notes are very hard to describe.  There is so much going on inside this bottle.  The complexity is off the charts.

I would honestly describe it as sort of a four roses explosion. 

There is some initial berries and wood taste, mixed with what I would describe as a sort of rhubarb taste and lots of creaminess.  The wood and herbal flavors come through at the end (presumably the Q and the F yeasts) on the finish.

One of the guys I shared with said that it is sort of a high proof version of 4R yellow label, but I have not spent much time with 4RYL other than in wedding reception cocktails.

Being brutally honest, it is really freaking good!  Seriously thinking about doing a 750ml version (this is only a 375 bottle).

On 3/1/2017 at 3:01 AM, JoeTerp said:

IMG_3356.JPG

Cask strength yellow label?

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

Cask strength yellow label?

Ouch

But honestly I can't imagine it's all that close given that these are all NCF and I'd have to imagine the yellow label is significantly younger.

35 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Ouch

But honestly I can't imagine it's all that close given that these are all NCF and I'd have to imagine the yellow label is significantly younger.

Yeah, I know, this goes well beyond and I bet it's amazing... but a mixture of all ten recipes? I had to say it... :D

Having an OESK as I type... ;)

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Ouch

Nothing ouchy about it. Yellow Label is pretty good. The only thing holding it back is the proof. Up the proof and make it from older whiskey? Fantastic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.