Williamsburg, VA Indian Corn Bourbon Tasting Event

bullitt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, bullitt said:

What does anyone make of this?

https://www.facebook.com/events/226431161155107/

*Williamsburg Distillery is the only fully functional historically-themed distillery in the world dedicated to the research, restoration, reenactment and creation of distilled spirits from the American colonial period of 1600 to 1776.

Never been so couldn't say. Might make a nice souvenir but if the Mount Vernon/George Washington whiskey is any indication I wouldn't expect much from the whiskey itself. Besides, the colonists drank a lot of nasty stuff back in those days! That is why they made a lot of punch with plenty of sugar in the booze....

And if it is as pricey as the Mount Vernon whiskey it may not be all that good a souvenir either! :huh:

• I like it 1

• 1 year later...

This post caught my eye, as I visit the area often and my daughter now works there.  Never heard of the Williamsburg Distrillery, but have tasted the offerings from Copper Fox. (Scotch, gin, ehh.)  A quick search found that what was the "Williamsburg Distillery" is now going by the name 8 Shires.  Their site indicates that the next batch of "indian corn bourbon" will be available in 2019.

8 hours ago, Happy Hal said:

This post caught my eye, as I visit the area often and my daughter now works there.  Never heard of the Williamsburg Distrillery, but have tasted the offerings from Copper Fox. (Scotch, gin, ehh.)  A quick search found that what was the "Williamsburg Distillery" is now going by the name 8 Shires.  Their site indicates that the next batch of "indian corn bourbon" will be available in 2019.

THX for the head's up.  We get down there a couple of times a year.  If I do drop in to 8 Shires/WmsbgDistillery, I'll take pictures.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:20 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Besides, the colonists drank a lot of nasty stuff back in those days! That is why they made a lot of punch with plenty of sugar in the booze....

And it’s why the BIB Act was enacted so quickly in our new country’s history.

ok a quick search showed it wasn’t as quick as I originally thought. ;)

Edited by DCFan
I was off by about a 100 years.

• 1 year later...

Dropped in to 8 Shires Distillery, Williamsburg, VA, a couple of days ago.  Nice, friendly, non-pushy folks.  They also know what they are doing.

The products we tasted (all room temp and neat) consisted of a Genever-style gin (with the spirit being a corn distillate rather than wheat-based or a neutral spirit), a silver rum made from a Caribbean "18th Century-style" molasses, a gold gin made from the same, and a bourbon made from the corn distillate.  The corn is a heritage Indian variety grown near Culpeper, VA.

All products were distilled (and aged when appropriate) by 8 Shires.  I liked the gin, but my wife, a fan of Bombay Sapphire, found it too herbal.  I think it'd work well with some of the off-beat dry vermouths even if it would clash with Dolins or M&R.  Maybe Montenegro or Cynar or similar aperitifs would fit.  The silver rum was wonderful, so we bought a 375 ml to try in cocktails.  The gold was good, but we liked the silver better although another group tasting at the same time liked the gold better.  The bourbon (which my wife found to be too "rough") struck me as typically young (REALLY grassy) but unlike a lot of young craft bourbon I've tasted, it had only a slight hint of acetone.  It had an interesting charred oak finish.  Circa 2021 and IF it has at least four years in a barrel, I'll try it again.  In the meantime, I'll keep the rum around as long as its quality holds up.

Thanks for the report. I don’t get to Williamsburg very often, but I’m curious to visit next time I’m there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.