"Social History of Bourbon" 1963 Book?

OneCubeOnly
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chuck has it listed in his " Books" page . I think Nelson County has a copy in their Library.

looks interesting. I'm planning on bidding on this. I don't want to snipe someone else on this board, so if you were also bidding please let me know and I'll back out.

I was trying out a automatic bid placing software program, auction sentry. I looks like it tried to place my bid 2 seconds after auction closed. I will have to adjust that setting.

> I was trying out a automatic bid placing software program, auction sentry. I

> looks like it tried to place my bid 2 seconds after auction closed.

The book is fairly common, so you could still pick one up easily. I was

curious, so I did a quick search: Amazon.com lists a dozen or so used copies,

and abebooks.com has about 30 of 'em. Prices range from ~$5 to ~$20

depending on condition and who is doing the selling. I recommend the book

for those who want a fairly readable history of bourbon.

Tim Dellinger

I'm the guy who got it, but snipe away anytime. I would have found it at amazon.com, alibris.com or abebooks.com, as noted above, whenever I decided to get it. Or, I would have asked to borrow your copy.

• 5 months later...

I bought it off of Barnes and Noble about a year ago. It is great. It is (I assume, I am no expert) an excellently researched book and refreshingly free of pretention or "PC-ness." I actually laughed out loud during certain portions.

"What is the first duty of a surgeon?"

"Under the names of drugs and medicines to purchase a full supply of good liquors."

What is the second duty?"

"To cause all private cellars to be searched, and all the good brandies found there to be confiscated, lest the owners should smuggle them to a solider, give them away and make the whole army drunk."

"What is the third duty?"

"To see that he and his assistant drink all of said liquors."

-pg 78.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.