What's Your A = 440hz Bourbon?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My 440 Hz bourbon or initial reference point came after I had tasted a few bourbons, over a number of years.  I've always liked intensely flavored foods.  When I first tasted Booker's (one of the pre-named batch versions), that was the moment I told myself that bourbon was going to become a hobby.  Each sip (at my tasting level) was a mouthbomb.  

Mine hasn't been available for years: Old Taylor BIB. That was the bourbon I fell in love with back in the 1980s.

If I just want bourbon with no fuss today, my A=440 is VOB BIB. Great at what it does, especially for the price. But I have others in my stash that I will occasionally have an urge for, but only ow and then. 

ANY night at home - OGD BIB because it never, ever disappoints (but I can't remember ever ordering it in a restaurant).  When I can't decide on what I want - basic BT, especially in a restaurant.  If it were regularly available here instead of just spottily - VOB BIB "6" would get consumed much more often and in bigger volumes (damn the liver).  If it were available here at all - HH BIB 6yr would give OGD a run so its probably a good thing it is NOT available here.  Most common BP - Bookers.  Not that I don't have another 20 or so "regulars", but I drink those others to satisfy a particular desire.

14 hours ago, Madhatter said:

My 440 Hz bourbon or initial reference point came after I had tasted a few bourbons, over a number of years.  I've always liked intensely flavored foods.  When I first tasted Booker's (one of the pre-named batch versions), that was the moment I told myself that bourbon was going to become a hobby.  Each sip (at my tasting level) was a mouthbomb.  

I agree with this. Bookers was the first bourbon that gave me the Wow factor. What a complex and flavorful pour that is readily available for a great price.

Mine is WT101 8yr, basically because I bought too much of it.

I now wish I had bought too much Booker's instead, I think.

Either way, hard to see it as a "problem"

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Mine is WT101 8yr, basically because I bought too much of it.

I now wish I had bought too much Booker's instead, I think.

Either way, hard to see it as a "problem"

I don't see a stockpile of 8yr old WT as a problem, Paul.  ;)

That 'was' the all things bourbon standard-bearer for me!  To bad, it's no longer what it 'once was'.

Edit to add: You lucky dog!   

Edited by Paddy

I say JTS Brown BIB.  

I would have said OF Sig too, but last three bottles were a disappointment.  I will pick up older label bottles if I see them.

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

I say JTS Brown BIB.  

I would have said OF Sig too, but last three bottles were a disappointment.  I will pick up older label bottles if I see them.

Yes all the older bottles I have range from very good to a paper-label bottle that I would say is great -- but the newest one was a significant step down in quality, IMO.

Just a side thought - I'd bet there's a very high correlation between members' responses here and their 'gateway' bourbons.

My current bottle of Dant BIB tastes like WHISKEY to me, as in it rings some sort of memory bell whenever I taste it. At some point in my history I associated that flavor with the name whiskey. Don't know where the memory came from but it makes the Dant darned good and I'm happy to have it!

I'm really not trying to be a smart ass, (well maybe just a little :ph34r:) but I tend to respond the same way in many of these "What's your favorite ..."  threads. My A=440 HZ bourbon is the one in my glass. :P 

Cheers! Joe

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm really not trying to be a smart ass, (well maybe just a little :ph34r:) but I tend to respond the same way in many of these "What's your favorite ..."  threads. My A=440 HZ bourbon is the one in my glass. :P 

Cheers! Joe

Ahhh, a wise man is once more confirmed.

7 hours ago, dcbt said:

Just a side thought - I'd bet there's a very high correlation between members' responses here and their 'gateway' bourbons.

I was thinking the same. It certainly applies in my case.

I'd say WT101 as it goes back decades for me a the reference, lately OGD BiB would fit the bill nicely as well.

I am interpreting this question as what is your "neutral" bourbon.

I have to say Woodford Reserve. It's pretty innocuous. It doesn't have an exact distillers taste profile like Beam, BT, 4R, or WT. It just tastes like bourbon with nothing to really set it apart. I would lump a few of the HH offerings like EWB or sometimes EWSB in this category as well, but WR is pretty reliably consistent, and pretty much the baseline for any tasting notes I make.

To me, the tasting notes for WR are:
It tastes like bourbon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On 3/5/2017 at 9:09 AM, b1gcountry said:

I have to say Woodford Reserve. It's pretty innocuous. It doesn't have an exact distillers taste profile like Beam, BT, 4R, or WT. It just tastes like bourbon with nothing to really set it apart.

All of our taste buds are different, but WR for me shows the Old Forester family resemblance.  I get green apples almost every time, just like OF.  I like OF/WR but for me it is not neutral.  yrmv

All of our taste buds are different, but WR for me shows the Old Forester family resemblance.  I get green apples almost every time, just like OF.  I like OF/WR but for me it is not neutral.  yrmv

Interesting. I've never gotten the green apples thing...

I have found I get the grass note in MM, and the sage note in EWBIB on some nights, but not others...

It IS SO amazing how much our taste buds differ.

Interesting. I've never gotten the green apples thing...

I have found I get the grass note in MM, and the sage note in EWBIB on some nights, but not others...

It IS SO amazing how much our taste buds differ.

Taste buds and palates certainly differ. Sometimes wildly so. Every time I drink WR Double Oaked, I am overwhelmed by chocolate. None of my friends and family taste it. When I drink Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond, I get a Double Mint gum taste.

Palates fascinate me.

I often cleanse my palate with dark chocolate (preferably over 90%), but the Woodford Double Oaked puts chocolate on my palate every time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.