Most Overrated Bourbons?

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We spend so much time waxing poetically on our favorite pours and our top value picks.

But what are your top 3 "Most overrated" bourbons (or Ryes)??  [I'm talking currently available juice only -  not old versions]

Mine are

1.  Weller Special Reserve

2.  Old Weller Antique 107

3.  Blanton's (I actually really love Blanton's but still think it's overhyped and doesn't merit being allocated)

Honorable Mention:  OGD (I actually have acquired a dedicated taste for this stuff now, but still think it's a bit over hyped on these pages anyway ;-)

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

We spend so much time waxing poetically on our favorite pours and our top value picks.

But what are your top 3 "Most overrated" bourbons (or Ryes)??  [I'm talking currently available juice only -  not old versions]

Mine are

1.  Weller Special Reserve

2.  Old Weller Antique 107

3.  Blanton's (I actually really love Blanton's but still think it's overhyped and doesn't merit being allocated)

Honorable Mention:  OGD (I actually have acquired a dedicated taste for this stuff now, but still think it's a bit over hyped on these pages anyway ;-)

I think its difficult to normalize what "worst" is, with the variability in taste and palettes.  Also, whiskey can change from batch to season to bottling.  Finally, I can find merit in many bourbons in all price ranges, so I might offer my twist, on the 3 overpriced bourbons: JD, JB and Sazarac Rye.  I'm still amazed JD black label pulls its own price bracket.  JB white label just seems less refined to be such a well known brand, and I was disappointed in the Saz rye, compared to the other similar-priced ryes I've had.  So with some price adjustment, I'd see these as better products.  And that would have be to a bigger price adjustment for JD ;)

I'll play...

For me it's just about personal palate - believe me I've tried these multiple times and just don't get the following but the same is said by others about bourbons that I really enjoy and that is the beauty of individuality.

• WT101
  • OGB BIB
  • Woodford Reserve

This is an interesting question.

1) Eagle Rare -
Many of my friends (and many bourbon lovers on this site) absolutely adore Eagle Rare. Eagle Rare has a mustiness that just reminds me too much of crawling about in my old house's poorly ventilated crawlspace. I don't hate Eagle Rare, but there are at least a dozen bottles in the same price range that I would buy first.

2) Booker's -
I am not a Jim Beam man. Jim Beam white label to me just puts an aftertaste in my throat reminiscent of the taste I'd gotten on hangover mornings after hugging the porcelain throne during the night. Maybe that is part of why Booker's doesn't do it for me. The fact that they have raised the price and allegedly will try to raise it towards $100 a bottle doesn't help. It is not wretched, but there are bottles in the $40 (and actually even in the $30) price range that I would buy before I would buy Booker's if they were side-by-side for the same price. I do appreciate the fancy box. At the $66 - $76 price range where it currently exists, a bottle of Booker's has no chance of coming home with me.

3) Bulleit -
I haven't had anything by them in awhile, so my pallet may embrace it now. I remember getting a fifth about five or six years ago and struggling to finish it. Not awful, but inferior to my palate to many other bottles in the same price range and under. I have been thinking about getting a bottle of their single barrel cask strength to give the brand another shot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
Correct typo

If you are talking hype to quality ratio then there cannot possibly be anything more overrated that the BT versions of the Van Winkle line. In terms of hype and price vs quality I will nominate the current Lot B and the PVW15. They are at the absolute epicenter of the Bourbon Boom. And used as click bait in every article about the boom and every list of impossible to find whiskey. 

Neither is bad bourbon. In fact I really love BT's wheated line. But overrated? How can they not be? I left off the 10/107 because it gets less hype (just marginally less since it's not "Pappy") but compared to Lot B it's got proof and lower cost on its side. 

My third nominee is High West Midwinter Nights' Dram. That's a personal thing but I am one of the few it seems who don't like it. Tried it many times and can't see what the fuss is about. 

I'll second Old Dusty's post above. Anything Pappy/Van Winkle is going to be overrated in terms of price/hype. Keep in mind I have never tasted them, and probably won't at $500 a bottle (or more).

Basil Hayden. A $50 80 proofer? C'mon. As if the fancy brown paper vest and copper belt don't give it away...

Maker's Mark.  Don't get me wrong, I buy it by the handle when it's on sale and have yet to find anything I like better with Sprite and it was my gateway bourbon. But as "Premium" and "Sipper" definitely over hyped.

Any of a number of craft or NDP' s that your LS wants to push on you. Been talked into too many of these to the point that they're now an automatic pass until I see positive reviews here.

Edited by JTaylor

For me, it's really not even close.  I have to say the Sazerac 18 from this year.  It's not very good at all.  The other is High West Bourye... 

It's always useful on threads like these to indicate if you think its overrated here or out in greater bourbonia. JB White was mentioned above. Nobody here goes on about that one.

Lots of mentions of OGD - we go on about those here quite a bit. They are less talked about outside these pages.

It's also useful to mention the prices you pay for the bourbons you nominate. One person will say ETL is overrated because they pay $50 for it. I won't put it on my list for price alone because I pay $32. I may put it on the list due to overall hype out there in general and the number of people falling over themselves to buy one so they can immediately post a crotch shot from the parking lot on social media.

For me off the top of my head, overrated out in greater bourbonia:

1) Anything Michter's.

2) Anything currently coming out of Diageo (and its close cousins like Blood Oath).

3) Kentucky Owl.

This is an easy one for me.  Any of the regular and private selections of SAOS.  Most of these seem to be on the barrel proof 10yr.  I've tasted from dozens of different bottles (mostly private selections) and owned a couple more.  I find them all to be rather average.  Nothing about these bourbons makes me do cartwheels like many folks do.

Edited by smokinjoe

The brands that always make me say, "WTF are they thinking?" when I see the hysteria surrounding them are:

1.) the Pappy Van Winkle line (current version)

2.) ETL

3.) the Weller line

Not a bad bottle in the bunch, and I'm a fan of them all, but the frenzy they incite always leaves me scratching my head. :rolleyes:

Weller 12.

I keep trying it and every time it bores me to death.

Most of the lower-middle end KBD line.  I think it all tastes like pretty much the same juice and its all boring as heck.  Not to mention that darn Peanut taste always seems to rear its ugly head.

I do enjoy the Willett Pot Still once in awhile though.

Elijah Craig 23.  Tastes like what I imagine eating wet grass & some dirt caked on the underside of a lawnmower would be like.

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Elijah Craig 23.  Tastes like what I imagine eating wet grass & some dirt caked on the underside of a lawnmower would be like.

Your description of Elijah Craig 23 just gave me a hearty spell of laughter. I have never tried it, but your vivid description will help me avoid dropping high dollar on a pour at a bourbon bar. I'll stick with my EC NAS.

For my taste buddies, and wallet, I'd nominate any/all of the current Pappiez (for all the reasons already mentioned), along with any of the 'special release' Woodford offerings of the last several years (I've not had the recent 'finished' one, so not included).    I will never again buy one of these highly ordinary 'specials'... nor really, any Woodford... It just doesn't appeal to me, especially for the cheddar asked.

I'll nominate the NDP LEs that don't disclose sources: Michters and WFE come to mind. Kentucky Owl. All of the "Texas" bourbons from Indiana. Barrel Bourbon. Noahs Mill and Rowans Creek. 

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

That's actually a decent description of what the 18 tastes like to me.

This has brought some good discussion, and I find little to disagree with.  I do feel inclined to note my full agreement with (in this current market) anything Pappy.  It simply cannot live up to the amount of hype and associated prices increases that have hammered the brand over the past 5 years, or so. 

I'm also glad to see that Steve brought up Ky Owl.  It was never of any value, as it was both overhyped and overpriced right out of the gate.  It had done nothing to deserve either, IMO.  I due give major props to their marketing team, as they earned every penny they received!  B)

I also fully agree with Joe's take on SA's (sourced MGP bourbon).  It's never been more than ok for me.  In it's present situation/price point, what bit of value it may have had (to me), is long gone. 

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Anything made by Jefferson's over the last few years

Good call. Can't believe I forgot those yahoos.

2 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Garrison Bros Comboy Bourbon

It's bad and pricey but I don't know anyone who actually thinks highly of it. So it might actually be properly rated (even if overpriced).

3 minutes ago, dcbt said:

It's bad and pricey but I don't know anyone who actually thinks highly of it. So it might actually be properly rated (even if overpriced).

Ya, your probably right. It was hyped up big time when I was in Dallas, tho. Local pride I guess.

1. HWMWND

2. Weller 12

3. ETL

I really enjoy W12 & ETL, but anything over $35 is ridiculous. HWMWND is the reason I don't buy multiple bottles before tasting.

Now, I disagree with all the comments about SA being overrated. It's one brand that I could never have enough of. Palates are different though, so I definitely respect everyone's opinions.

Cheers,

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.