25-year Van Winkle Released in April

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, starhopper said:

LOL - I can afford it, but saying it's certainly nowhere near worth it - for $1800 let alone $10,000!  The only reason I see someone buying this is to either flip it or display it - they'd be too afraid to actually drink it.  I have yet to see one review of the juice anywhere.

There is a poster here from San Fran who bought one from a family friend who owns a liquor store and posted about it. He paid $1350 for his.

10 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Would I pay $10,000 for this?  No!  Would I trade 5 or 6 bottles of PHC 1 or 4 for this?  No!  Even though I could do both.

This is just crazy.  I've seen one in the wild.  I didn't ask what they were asking but I be very surprised if it wasn't $10,000 as the store that has it knows the secondary market too well.

Could I - yes. Would I - no (not on the resale market) but I did enter the Va ABC lottery hoping like hell to be one of the lucky 10 winners.

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

Could I - yes. Would I - no (not on the resale market) but I did enter the Va ABC lottery hoping like hell to be one of the lucky 10 winners.

I would have loved to be one of those lucky 10.

Years back when they did the 23 ORVW I thought that $350 was ridiculously priced and passed.  Later I had regrets. 

On 6/5/2017 at 3:21 PM, starhopper said:

I have yet to see one review of the juice anywhere.

It's a gorgeous deep bronze/slightly tarnished copper color, housed in a very nice, tall crystal decanter, that's completely ruined by an etched picture of some old man sleeping on it.  The heavy wooden box is supposedly made or appears to be made from the leftover bits of some barrels.

Owners who enjoy freedom of choice can pick from two fabulous stoppers for the decanter.....subtle yet elegant fake silver plated, or essence of crystal ball that shows your future credit card debt from the purchase.

Last but not least, the official letter of authenticity and rarity, which is what truly adds most of the value.

In my mind, it tastes incredible, but this review is only in fantasy... ;)

Just for the record, I offered said store (in pics above that has it in the case for $10K) to buy it at MSRP, open on the spot and give every employee present a taste, and they refused, stating that "its not a bottle meant for drinking".  :rolleyes:

Oh well.  At least I got to see one in person.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:24 PM, 0895 said:

Just for the record, I offered said store (in pics above that has it in the case for $10K) to buy it at MSRP, open on the spot and give every employee present a taste, and they refused, stating that "its not a bottle meant for drinking".  :rolleyes:

That was a brilliant gambit!  Too bad that the staff couldn't be enticed.  They have to live with the fact that they could have had some if they had been willing to sell it at a sane (?) price.

On 6/5/2017 at 6:09 PM, DCFan said:

I have to be perfectly honest and say that entering the lottery and not getting one took some stress off of me.  I would have been seriously torn as to whether to keep that sucker or sell it.  I'm not a flipper, but at the street prices that's going for I could buy a nice used car, some stock or whatever else.

33 minutes ago, Bourserker said:

I have to be perfectly honest and say that entering the lottery and not getting one took some stress off of me.  I would have been seriously torn as to whether to keep that sucker or sell it.  I'm not a flipper, but at the street prices that's going for I could buy a nice used car, some stock or whatever else.

I'm not a flipper either and the thought of entering that domain without a clue about the intricacies of the law and the market of high priced liquors was somewhat daunting. Oh well. 

On 6/4/2017 at 3:26 PM, Clueby said:

As 0895 posted, they are at RETAIL stores for that.

IMAG2039.jpg.a5547aff3fca3740a5252e79370a61e3.jpg

And this thing actually sold for 10k last week.

According to one of the store managers, some guy bought it for $10k plus tax.

:o

I'm sure it's good, not $10K good. $10K must not mean very much to the person that bought it.

Interestingly, one of the bar owners here was told by his Republic rep that they're taking bids for the ORVW 25. They placed their bid at 2x MSRP and they're awaiting the results. I wonder if any LS's got the same treatment.

3 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I'm sure it's good, not $10K good. $10K must not mean very much to the person that bought it.

I

Yea, I've got a special opinion of folks that do that, and its not about having the money.  Lots of us have the money.  Only some of us have better sense.  Not impressed...

Edited by musekatcher

Yea, I've got a special opinion of folks that do that, and its not about having the money.  Lots of us have the money.  Only some of us have better sense.  Not impressed...

Different people value things differently. Is it our place to judge anyone or infer what their motivations are? I'm sure a lot of us would be judged based on how much liquor we own just"sitting around" in our bunkers. I also know lots of people in the world can never think of spending $100 on anything, let alone booze. Buying a bottle of AE Rye must sound ridiculous to someone making $400 in a year.

12 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I'm sure a lot of us would be judged based on how much liquor we own just"sitting around" in our bunkers.

I don't begrudge anyone's luxury purchases. I consider myself a middle class guy and I have no doubt that some would consider some of the things I've bought as overboard. What I do voice my opinion on here is when someone talks of buying multiple bottles of scarce bourbon. Anyone who wants to hoard and keeps others from enjoying a highly sought after bourbon is greedy and deserves to be called such.

I posted about this in the what did you pass on thread.  But, is BT/Saz ok with a store asking $25k for this?   I wouldn't think so.   The store owner I encountered over this past weekend was very arrogant about his price.  But he also didn't have a price tag on it and could deny that he was asking that much.  

6 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

I posted about this in the what did you pass on thread.  But, is BT/Saz ok with a store asking $25k for this?   I wouldn't think so.   The store owner I encountered over this past weekend was very arrogant about his price.  But he also didn't have a price tag on it and could deny that he was asking that much.  

It belongs to the Van Winkle family of course and not BT/Saz. But I don't see how Sazerac would have any problem with the publicity it generates more publicity for their other products even if on the surface they say they "don't approve". The PVW family has said much the same as I recall and to their credit they do still of course make it available at relatively sane wholesale prices to distributors. What happens to it after that isn't fully controlled by them of course. Nothing like selling "unobtanium"! Indeed, not much "selling" involved at this point.

But all the publicity doesn't hurt them either in making sure they sell every drop of what they choose to bottle. And sure, this 25yo gives them the opportunity to cash in a bit on the craze. But more power to them as a result since for years they were out there beating the bushes trying to sell whiskey that for a long time nobody really wanted before all this insanity happened. And I think Julian van Winkle has said he is not interested in bottling a lot more than he is now and then having the bubble burst and once again having a lot of whiskey on his hands that they can't sell easily again. Makes pretty good sense to me.  

On 6/19/2017 at 5:47 AM, b1gcountry said:

Different people value things differently. Is it our place to judge anyone or infer what their motivations are? I'm sure a lot of us would be judged based on how much liquor we own just"sitting around" in our bunkers. I also know lots of people in the world can never think of spending $100 on anything, let alone booze. Buying a bottle of AE Rye must sound ridiculous to someone making $400 in a year.

Maybe I am being too judgemental.  I'm still just not impressed with folks who miss the point of collecting, acquiring, and savoring something of value, and instead think its a bidding game?  Its like buying strokes to win a golf game...but its a free country. 

On 6/18/2017 at 9:32 AM, musekatcher said:

Not sure the buyer was trying to impress anyone.  I would look at it a different way.  The buyer probably got something thrown in on the deal plus will most likely get a chance at future allocations.  If by buying that bottle at 10k and  can get future allocations at msrp it may not be that bad of a deal.

The unfortunate  reality for most including myself is access to all things Van Winkle. This one time expense may have opened up that door for the buyer.  I wouldn't think they are a flipper because the risk reward on a 10k bottles is limited, but even if they are with more access they most likely can make the numbers work over time. ... Never thought I would find myself in the corner of the buyer of a 10k bottle of booze. 

Edited by Gorzo

On 6/21/2017 at 0:01 AM, Gorzo said:

Not sure the buyer was trying to impress anyone.  I would look at it a different way.  The buyer probably got something thrown in on the deal plus will most likely get a chance at future allocations.  If by buying that bottle at 10k and  can get future allocations at msrp it may not be that bad of a deal.

That's quite a stretch or do you know something personally about this deal?  If not, you are making assumptions without any basis.

I find it hard to believe that a store that would sell this bottle for close to 6x MSRP would sell other allocated products for MSRP.

Edited by meadeweber

That's quite a stretch or do you know something personally about this deal?  If not, you are making assumptions without any basis.

I find it hard to believe that a store that would sell this bottle for close to 6x MSRP would sell other allocated products for MSRP.

I thought so too. Unless it was cash on the table..."and throw in these 5 for retail", then the only thing this guy will probably get is first shot at a $200 w12 next time the store gets it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

No inside knowledge of anything. I would just think that if somebody lays down 10k on the table they probably would get a little extra in return now or in the future.  I don't ever see having 10k to throw down a bottle or if I did could justify the expense. So it really doesn't affect me in any way. Like I said before think there is more to the deal than handing over 10k and walking out the door..... but certainly could be wrong and do see your point if a store is going to sell something at 6x why would they sell any coveted items at MSRP. All that being said it's the buyers money and I have no reason to have a negative opinion for over paying for something few people will have a chance  of obtaining.

^^^^Where I'm from he's now known as a mark, and his willingness to plunk down for this release affirms this pricing scale is appropriate for future limited releases. 

On 6/22/2017 at 0:20 PM, meadeweber said:

On 6/22/2017 at 1:38 PM, b1gcountry said:

I thought so too. Unless it was cash on the table..."and throw in these 5 for retail", then the only thing this guy will probably get is first shot at a $200 w12 next time the store gets it.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:09 PM, Gorzo said:

No inside knowledge of anything. I would just think that if somebody lays down 10k on the table they probably would get a little extra in return now or in the future.  I don't ever see having 10k to throw down a bottle or if I did could justify the expense. So it really doesn't affect me in any way. Like I said before think there is more to the deal than handing over 10k and walking out the door..... but certainly could be wrong and do see your point if a store is going to sell something at 6x why would they sell any coveted items at MSRP. All that being said it's the buyers money and I have no reason to have a negative opinion for over paying for something few people will have a chance  of obtaining.

Actually, I was talking to one of the store employees about this bottle recently.

Apparently the person who bought it for $10K ended up getting a PVW 15 year with it.  I don't know if he had to pay for that separately, or if it was thrown in on the deal, but he made some kind of request or demand and got both bottles.  He claimed to be purchasing the ORVW25 for his retirement, and is apparently quite wealthy.

What's interesting about this whole thing is that this used to be a store who sold things @ very close to normal retail prices. 

In the past few months, a new spirits manager has taken over and the prices have started creeping upward with each new shipment.

Almost everything whiskey now is $5.00-$25.00 higher than most other stores in town.  The new direction of the store seems to be more about making money....which I suppose is the number one goal of a business.

They also used to have a wonderful whiskey tasting bar with probably over 100 bottles you could try by the pour.

Recently they eliminated almost all the whiskey and turned it into a wine flight bar, shortly after the owner returned from a vacation to CA - hmmm......

Still a good store, but things are definitely changing.

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Actually, I was talking to one of the store employees about this bottle recently.

Apparently the person who bought it for $10K ended up getting a PVW 15 year with it.  I don't know if he had to pay for that separately, or if it was thrown in on the deal, but he made some kind of request or demand and got both bottles.  He claimed to be purchasing the ORVW25 for his retirement, and is apparently quite wealthy.

So how long before kickbacks produce 1st call, predictable "lottery" wins, etc?  Once you hit five figure street prices on non-essential items, its likely. 

4 hours ago, musekatcher said:

So how long before kickbacks produce 1st call, predictable "lottery" wins, etc?  Once you hit five figure street prices on non-essential items, its likely. 

That's a tough question.

Hard to say.

I've been (IMO) one of their better bourbon customers for the last 3 years and I have to enter the lottery / raffles just like everyone else.

Last raffle, my ticket never got pulled.

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.