25-year Van Winkle Released in April

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, Tony Santana said:

I'll admit I'd consider it if I could find a bottle at retail (unlikely).  But only if I read some reviews that said it was actually drinkable.  And even then I'd have to think long and hard.

These may be more available than you might think.  That's a steep entry point.   There's Port Ellen's and Broras at multiple Binny's in this price range, but those are not as allocated as this particular release.  Just saying it's a big investment for anyone and those entry points do not fly off the shelf as fast as one might think.   If I came across one, I'm sure it'd be tempting on some level though.

1 hour ago, Tony Santana said:

I'll admit I'd consider it if I could find a bottle at retail (unlikely).  But only if I read some reviews that said it was actually drinkable.  And even then I'd have to think long and hard.

My guess is that if they send out samples it will get incredible reviews as the people that BT sends out a free product like this would be unlikely to give it a bad (or even average) review no matter what it tasted like.  Then again with the release being so limited they may not send anything out.

25 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

My guess is that if they send out samples it will get incredible reviews as the people that BT sends out a free product like this would be unlikely to give it a bad (or even average) review no matter what it tasted like.  Then again with the release being so limited they may not send anything out.

That's the formula.  Its been in action in the music industry, auto industry, etc., for generations now.  You will notice lots of <distiller X> ads in the same magazines that review and give highest praise to their products, lol. 

Edited by musekatcher

50 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

25 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

That's the formula.  Its been in action in the music industry, auto industry, etc., for generations now.  You will notice lots of <distiller X> ads in the same magazines that review and give highest praise to their products, lol. 

Pretty sure this release doesn't need to have any samples sent out in order to sell out immediately. They'll probably send some to Whiskey Advocate but I doubt the cavalcade of bloggers gets this one.

13 minutes ago, flahute said:

Pretty sure this release doesn't need to have any samples sent out in order to sell out immediately. They'll probably send some to Whiskey Advocate but I doubt the cavalcade of bloggers gets this one.

I wouldn't point fingers at BT anyway, I like their products and marketing policies.  This might belong in a different thread, but I have to ask:  if PVW is bringing 4 figures, how do the buyers reconcile that with annual competition awards?  If PVW is worth 10 times more than a $100 bourbon, wouldn't it win the double gold platinum in every competition every year?

2 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

I wouldn't point fingers at BT anyway, I like their products and marketing policies.  This might belong in a different thread, but I have to ask:  if PVW is bringing 4 figures, how do the buyers reconcile that with annual competition awards?  If PVW is worth 10 times more than a $100 bourbon, wouldn't it win the double gold platinum in every competition every year?

Those buyers aren't paying attention to the awards. Not even on their radar. It's purely a status play. PVW is the best according to............"them"

9 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Powerball is at 400 million, this might push me to buy a ticket

You are almost as likely to win powerball as you are to find a bottle of this at retail. 

I'm sure this is fantastic bourbon, I've never had a good bourbon from the Van Winkle line (Pappy 15y and up) all have been great and up. I don't think that JVW would release a limited bourbon like this that would be nothing short of a great bourbon. I would have no reason to think otherwise do to past releases. And I'm sure JVW/BT make way more profit on VW10y or Lot -B 12y each year then they will ever make on a limited release like this. I hope someone on here or someone I know gets one, I would love to hear about it. 

Edited by LCWoody

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

And I'm sure JVW/BT make way more profit on VW10y or Lot -B 12y each year then they will ever make on a limited release like this. I hope someone on here or someone I know gets one, I would love to hear about it. 

I don't know... by my math they make almost 1.3 million on this release alone.  If there are 5000 bottles of VW 10 yr even at $200 thats only 1 million

9 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

I don't know... by my math they make almost 1.3 million on this release alone.  If there are 5000 bottles of VW 10 yr even at $200 thats only 1 million

No way... there has to be way more than 5000 bottles of Van Winkle 10yr?  If it was only 5K that would be a total shock to me (maybe I am wrong).

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

The metal label is struck from pure Unobtainium. 

...And that stuff is damned near impossible to source in the current market.    I hear it's not only a limited release substance; but it's also allocated!

13 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

"Profit" their is a lot of overhead in a 25y bourbon, taxes, the packageing, moving the barrels, ext.... after all the expenses. And I could be wrong, but in my business just because I sell something that cost the consumer more money doesn't mean I make more profit. 

12 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

I think they must make far less than that. That 1.3 assumes that Sazerac gets all $1800, but they only get a percentage of that since at that price both the liquor store and distributor are making a profit. I don't know the typical margin for the distributor and liquor store but they must be making a healthy percent to stay in business. 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, Old Dusty said:

Don't think they can advertise it that way since Diageo owns that facility and name now. Especially after BT went on the warpath when Diageo used "Geo. T. Stagg distillery" in the marketing of Lost Prophet. Shoe is on the other foot now and so it's referred to as the "Van Winkle Family distillery in Shively" rather than Stitzel-Weller. 

I guess I understand protecting your trademark of George T. Stagg since you have a bourbon named that and wouldn't want the Lost Prophet to be confused with GTS by the uninformed.  That being said, it really pissed me off when Sazerac went after Diageo for using the name George T Stagg Distillery.  I appreciated the somewhat effort at being more transparent about the origins even if it was maybe in a way to create more interest and sales.  I hate the litigation age we live in.  It would be nice if they could all just slap a DSP of where the shit everything was distilled.  Le sigh.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, jvd99 said:

These may be more available than you might think.  That's a steep entry point.   There's Port Ellen's and Broras at multiple Binny's in this price range, but those are not as allocated as this particular release.  Just saying it's a big investment for anyone and those entry points do not fly off the shelf as fast as one might think.   If I came across one, I'm sure it'd be tempting on some level though.

I don't follow dead scotch distilleries carefully.  Is there a secondary market for expensive Brora and Port Ellen offerings?  I wouldn't expect this to be anywhere near the same but who knows.

13 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I think they must make far less than that. That 1.3 assumes that Sazerac gets all $1800, but they only get a percentage of that since at that price both the liquor store and distributor are making a profit. I don't know the typical margin for the distributor and liquor store but they must be making a healthy percent to stay in business. 

True but the same goes for the 10 year.  

I was just trying to point out that Sazerac is making quite a profit on this.  Taxes storage etc may be high for 25 year old bourbon but we're only talking 11 barrels.

My guess is that immediate secondary market on this will be $5k. I don't have much interest at MSRP as tend to prefer the 15/20 vs the 23 for pvw. Also will be interesting to see what distributions looks like - out of 710 bottles how many will go to restaurants (with prime placement on backbar as a marketing piece for the brand) vs retail (where I suspect will be limited exclusively to best BT accounts). I see none of this ever being in the wild even at $1800. 

I can't help but scratch my head. First the Old Rip 23 set, and now this. :huh: Just where do they keep finding these older barrels, and are they legit? Things that make you go hmmmm. Case in point from another thread, the JPS 18. :mellow: Like I said, hmmmm.

Cheers! Joe

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I can't help but scratch my head. First the Old Rip 23 set, and now this. :huh: Just where do they keep finding these older barrels, and are they legit? Things that make you go hmmmm. Case in point from another thread, the JPS 18. :mellow: Like I said, hmmmm.

Cheers! Joe

I've often wondered what kind of oversight there is on age statements - who verifies the age of barrels dumped? I think your Spokian eyebrow is warranted.

I also find it amusing how often distilleries "find" old barrels/casks in corners of warehouses (Scotch industry is especially guilty of this) ... like lost toys. #sigh

I really don't think it would take much effort at all for either ORVW23 or ORVW25. Actually pretty easy.

They cherry picked a certain # of barrels that were intended for PVW23 & left them at cask strength naming them ORVW23.

I actually have a bottle of PVW23 from 2014. They probably let it age 2 more years, set to 100 proof, & are naming them ORVW25.

I don't think think they found anything new anywhere. Their marketing of the product is just very good!

It's what the Van Winkle's do better than anyone else!

I've never believed there are any "lost" barrels.  Since they pay taxes on each barrel, it's doubtful any inventory is lost then miraculously found.  

23 hours ago, Louisiana said:

I really don't think it would take much effort at all for either ORVW23 or ORVW25. Actually pretty easy.

They cherry picked a certain # of barrels that were intended for PVW23 & left them at cask strength naming them ORVW23.

I actually have a bottle of PVW23 from 2014. They probably let it age 2 more years, set to 100 proof, & are naming them ORVW25.

I don't think think they found anything new anywhere. Their marketing of the product is just very good!

It's what the Van Winkle's do better than anyone else!

And I'm pretty sure these have been tanked for a bit too. So a lost tank seems a little tougher. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.