Most different tasting bourbons

voigtman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some have said that a given pair of bourbons are as different tasting as night and day, while others say the same pair taste almost exactly the same. Tastes vary quite a bit, even for a given person, depending on all sorts of things (food, time of day/night, what else they drank, etc.). Fine. But, if you had to pick just two bourbons, mid-shelf and/or top shelf, which two would you say taste the most different? Or, maybe I should say, taste the least alike? In my case, with limited, but growing, experience, it would be Maker's Mark (standard one with the red wax) and Hirsch 16. If I had to pick 3, tasting as far apart as possible, I'd toss in Stagg 03 with the Maker's and Hirsch. Anyone else have a pair or trey? Cheers, Ed

Great question: in thinking about it, I realized I'm liking bourbons at extremes -- my picks for most different would be Stagg '03 and Eagle Rare Single Barrel, both of which I like immensely -- and tend to disregard those in the fuzzy middle, though there have been precious few I wouldn't drink in a pinch. As to the Stagg and ERSB, the former is big, bold and brash, with up-front power -- the subtleties are layered underneath. On the other hand, the ERSB is all subtlety until the richness arrives mid-palate and makes you wonder where all that complexity came from. (Kinda sounds like Stagg's the man, Eagle Rare the woman, huh? -- well, I guess they are different!)

Gosh, there are so many criteria you can analyze bourbon with, it's difficult to say which ones are most dissimilar. Here are a few I thought of:

Harsh vs. mellow: Virginia Gentleman 80 vs. Eagle Rare SB

Simple vs. complex: Ancient Age vs. Stagg

Wheat vs. rye: Maker's Mark vs. Old Granddad 114

Mild vs. spicy: Basil Hayden's vs. OFBB

Barbaric vs. cultured: Kentucky Tavern vs. Pappy 20

Tim,

Yeah, I'm from Venus...you're from Mars.,, wink.giflol.gif

Kinda sounds like Stagg's the man, Eagle Rare the woman, huh? -- well, I guess they are different

Just kidding, I celebrate that difference everyday! skep.gif

I really agree with what you said about the Stagg & ERSB. They are also in the same price catagory.

Disclaimer: While I am a firm believer that there are great, reasonably priced Bourbons out there (EW 7yr. old, and for a few more bucks...Weller 12), I think to make it fair, we should follow the money here.

Weller 19 & WT 12.

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.