1975 Weller sr

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A gentlemen I just met at my whiskey night at a bar nearby has a GALLON of Weller Sr from 1975 (unopened) that he acted like he would part with.... What should I offer him.

A gallon?    ...Or a 1.75 liter?

Either way, I'd start low and work your way upward, as any good trader should do.    It wouldn't be entirely unfair to offer him something close to the cost of the jug back in 1975.    I have no idea what that would've been; but I'd hazard a guess of about $20 to $25.     If he counters with; 'ten times that', I'd politely decline; but somewhere between might turn out to worth the cheddar.... say around $65?    Just my own opinion of course.     If he allows samples, I'd take him on that, and if it really seems stellar, go up to $100.

I would just hope nobody else finds out that this might be available, as a bidding war could ensue. Keep in mind that plenty of people out there would pay hundreds per 750 ml bottle of S-W WSR these days..... Not saying I would pay that but there is a significant market for it

A gentlemen I just met at my whiskey night at a bar nearby has a GALLON of Weller Sr from 1975 (unopened) that he acted like he would part with.... What should I offer him.

Is it sealed?

If not, I'd taste it. If it tastes legit, I would start my offer at $100. That is going to be a hard bottle to ever find again if it is the real deal.

I would increase my visa up to a predetermined ceiling. I wouldn't budge on my price ceiling, though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Usually the seller will say what they want.  You can then agree, offer less, or decline if you think it's way beyond negotiating.  You have to have a number in your head you won't go beyond, before you start.

I guess I'm just too suspicious of people. My first thought is that when I show up to do the deal he pulls out a gun and steals my cash. Or he's an ATF undercover agent ready to bust you for illegal sale of alcohol. 

Depends on how bad you want it, but...I personally wouldn't open with anything less than $100. I'd think that if you bid below that you run the risk of insulting him. If it's a gallon and seems legit, I'd probably be willing to pay up to a few hundred dollars for it.

I think caution is strongly indicated here.........

Some questions to answer/things to think about before proceeding:

Was this whisky ever available in 1-gallon containers? (I've never heard of that, but I'm still new here.)

If it is sealed, is the seal still intact? Is it a legitimate seal, from the manufacturer? Has it been tampered with?

If this is all legitimate at this point, I don't see how you're going to be able to sample the contents. Doing so would require breaking the seal, and thus reducing the value of the bottle for the seller. You're kind of in a no-win scenario here.

Is a sale of this kind even legal in your state? Here in Oregon, all liquor bottle sales must go through OLCC liquor stores -- all other sales are illegal.

How are you going to verify the contents of the bottle? The label could be forged, and unknown contents in the bottle.

If it were me, I'd want satisfactory answers to all of theses questions before I'd proceed. You didn't ask for it, but my advice to you is: if it's at all questionable, walk away.

Keep us posted!

The gallon size was not particularly uncommon before the days of metric sizes that began in the late 70's. Weller Special Reserve has been around a long time (At least the 1940's that I know of.) and was a pretty common brand. No reason to think a gallon size didn't exist in 1975.

One caution/remedy I'd add to Queball's list:

Know your bargaining partner, if possible.     Know where he lives!    If you were to have issues with the distillate in the bottle, some recourse might be had; but only if you know the dude's location.

If the person is a total stranger, I'd be very cautious.    In fact I might not purchase the bottle at all from a ts.

I'll let you know. I might just wait til next Thursday before contacting him. I'll be  heading up to the bar again and maybe he'll be there to bs with some more. He isn't trying to sell it (just acted like he would). He heard us talking and showed us a picture of it. We spent the next couple hours talking about (the good old days) he is older than my father and had fast toys in his youth (like my father). I am really leaning towards figuring out something he wants just to open it with him. 

Are we actually giving advice on bargaining tactics for secondary market sales?  Is this not any different from someone asking what the worth is of an old bottle they found in their old grandfathers cellar?  Usually, those queries are met with disdain, here...  :angry:

Kind of wondered were this was headed. Perhaps time to bark more and wag less? Or are the rules bending to the new frontier? 

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Are we actually giving advice on bargaining tactics for secondary market sales?  Is this not any different from someone asking what the worth is of an old bottle they found in their old grandfathers cellar?  Usually, those queries are met with disdain, here...  :angry:

I apologize for crossing a/the line... I was a little excited at the possible chance to taste some stitzel weller and didn't think it through

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.