Blend Your Own Rye

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here is an experiment for you. If I blend one ounce of WT 101 Rye with one ounce of Dickel MGP, I get a pour with 73% rye, 18.5% corn, 8.5% barley and 95.5 proof. So, a DIY taste of a rye between the very high 95% MGP and a barely legal rye.

And a second experiment. If I blend one ounce of WT 101 Bourbon with one ounce of Dickel MGP, I get a pour with 54% rye, 37.5% corn, 8.5% barley and 95.9 proof. The blend is very close to the WT 101 rye. So, if you can't find WT 101 rye, this is a good way to check out something very close.

Good luck, Jim

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, hawkeye62 said:

Here is an experiment for you. If I blend one ounce of WT 101 Rye with one ounce of Dickel MGP, I get a pour with 73% rye, 18.5% corn, 8.5% barley and 95.5 proof. So, a DIY taste of a rye between the very high 95% MGP and a barely legal rye.

And a second experiment. If I blend one ounce of WT 101 Bourbon with one ounce of Dickel MGP, I get a pour with 54% rye, 37.5% corn, 8.5% barley and 95.9 proof. The blend is very close to the WT 101 rye. So, if you can't find WT 101 rye, this is a good way to check out something very close.

Good luck, Jim

I haven't tasted either combo and presume you have but would just caution that blending things together, especially if one or both are from different distilleries, so that the percentages of the mashbill approximate a third whiskey does not necessarily mean you are going get something that tastes like that third whiskey! A lot more is going on to produce a particular flavor than just the mashbill. Otherwise WT Rye, Sazerac rye, Rittenhouse rye and Beam rye would all taste about the same. And yet... B)

My favorite blends are SAOS7 + HWDR! to make Tom's Triple Rye!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I haven't tasted either combo and presume you have but would just caution that blending things together, especially if one or both are from different distilleries, so that the percentages of the mashbill approximate a third whiskey does not necessarily mean you are going get something that tastes like that third whiskey! A lot more is going on to produce a particular flavor than just the mashbill. Otherwise WT Rye, Sazerac rye, Rittenhouse rye and Beam rye would all taste about the same. And yet... B)

Yeah, head and tail cut points can have significant impact on flavor. I am not suggesting that one of these bends will exactly duplicate another whiskey with a similar mash bill. But, I can tell you that I can't tell the difference between WT 101 rye and the WT 101 bourbon, Dickel blend in a side by side taste test. I will try a blind test next. As to the WT 101 rye, Dickel blend, I have nothing to compare it with, but my first impression is that it has much more rye punch. I need to do more tasting and experimenting. 

Regards, Jim        

9 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

Yeah, head and tail cut points can have significant impact on flavor. I am not suggesting that one of these bends will exactly duplicate another whiskey with a similar mash bill. But, I can tell you that I can't tell the difference between WT 101 rye and the WT 101 bourbon, Dickel blend in a side by side taste test. I will try a blind test next. As to the WT 101 rye, Dickel blend, I have nothing to compare it with, but my first impression is that it has much more rye punch. I need to do more tasting and experimenting. 

Regards, Jim        

OK, on a semi blind taste test, I was able to pick the WT 101 over the WT 101 bourbon blend. But, I had a visual clue, the WT is darker than the blend. So, next test will be totally blind. Anyway, my current impression is that the WT rye has a thicker mouth feel. (If that makes any sense.) And I wonder if a 6yr MGP would make a better blend. So, what would be a good 6 yr MGP rye at around 100 proof?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards, Jim     

SAOS7 Rye was your only option. Alas, it is now no longer with us...

You can still get the 7 Yr Redemption Cask Strength in my area and add water but that would be about it, and you would be paying a premium. Lately I've been pretty tempted to pick up a bottle with my SAOS 7 supply dwindling.

Edited by kevinbrink

I've not seen any age statements on redemption rye in the past. When did that happen?

5 minutes ago, hawkeye62 said:

OK, how about a 4 yr MGP rye?

Regards, Jim

Pepper 1776 Rye is 100 proof MGP

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Pepper 1776 Rye is 100 proof MGP

I am going to give Pepper 1776 a try next time I am in Washington state. It is straight with no age statement, so it must be at least 4 yr?

Regards, Jim  

OK, I just did a really, really blind taste test of the WT 101 rye and my WT 101 Bourbon/ Dickel Rye blend. I could easily tell which was which. The blend has a thin mouth feel and has a sort of raw taste. I think this is due to the age of the Dickel, which is not straight rye. So it is probably less than two years old. I think I will try the blend with Bulleit rye which is straight with no age statement. So, I guess it is at least 4yr?

Regards, Jim    

56 minutes ago, hawkeye62 said:

I am going to give Pepper 1776 a try next time I am in Washington state. It is straight with no age statement, so it must be at least 4 yr?

Regards, Jim  

Pretty sure it's two years

OK, I just did a really, really blind taste test of the WT 101 rye and my WT 101 Bourbon/ Dickel Rye blend. I could easily tell which was which. The blend has a thin mouth feel and has a sort of raw taste. I think this is due to the age of the Dickel, which is not straight rye. So it is probably less than two years old. I think I will try the blend with Bulleit rye which is straight with no age statement. So, I guess it is at least 4yr?

Regards, Jim    

I enjoying reading about your experimentations.

I really enjoyed the James Pepper Rye when a friend shared some with me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hawkeye62 said:

Regards, Jim    

What's your reasoning on why Dickel is not 2 years old? 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What's your reasoning on why Dickel is not 2 years old? 

It is not labeled Straight Rye. Straight rye must be at least 2 yrs old.

Regards, Jim 

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Pretty sure it's two years

Straight rye must be at least 2 yrs old, and if it is less than 4 yrs old, the age must be stated. So, if a straight rye has no age statement, it must be at least 4 yrs old.

Regards, Jim   

Straight rye must be at least 2 yrs old, and if it is less than 4 yrs old, the age must be stated. So, if a straight rye has no age statement, it must be at least 4 yrs old.

Regards, Jim   

This reviewer claims it is aged at least 5 years. I'm not sure where he got that info.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/american-whiskey/whiskey-review-george-dickel-rye/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, hawkeye62 said:

Regards, Jim   

It says aged over 2 years on the back label. I'm fairly certain that it's not older than that. 

IMG_3415.JPG

3 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

It is not labeled Straight Rye. Straight rye must be at least 2 yrs old.

Regards, Jim 

Dickel rye has no age statement, meaning it must be at least 4 years old.

I checked the bottle last night and I couldn't find "straight rye" anywhere on the bottle...

18 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I checked the bottle last night and I couldn't find "straight rye" anywhere on the bottle...

I didn't think it did.  Why is that important?

Remember also that labeling a whiskey Straight is voluntary not required. So GD could be a straight and just not say anything. 

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Nope, with no age statement and no straight rye label, it could be 1 yr old or even less.

Regards, Jim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.