Disappointing rye

Charliedick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Am I an idiot?  Just tried the Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye.  I was disappointed.  Very weak and subtle flavor notes.  I don't have a wealth of experience in rye whiskeys but have tried Redemption and Winchester.  Winchester wins the value and flavor test so far.  Any other suggestions?

Am I an idiot?  Just tried the Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye.  I was disappointed.  Very weak and subtle flavor notes.  I don't have a wealth of experience in rye whiskeys but have tried Redemption and Winchester.  Winchester wins the value and flavor test so far.  Any other suggestions?

I also thought Woodford Reserve Rye was lousy.

Some rye whiskeys that I enjoy are High West Double Rye, Pikesville Rye, and Willett Rye.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The winchester stuff is drinkable, but for the same money I'll take dickel rye or Rittenhouse rye every time.

Spend a little more, and Double Rye isn't bad. Sadly SAOS Rye isn't around anymore. CRNHR is pretty decent too

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I like Woodford Rye just fine. What ryes have you liked prior to this? That would be instructive to know.

The Winchester Rye definitely wasn't in my wheelhouse, so not sure we have similar palates.  My recommendation is always to start at the bottom shelf and try your way up (buying 50 ml when you can).  Rittenhouse is hard to beat for the money IMHO, but also enjoy the Dickel rye.  

Honestly, the Willett 3yr reminded me a lot of the Winchester. I was surprised by both in different ways...

15 hours ago, flahute said:

I like Woodford Rye just fine. What ryes have you liked prior to this? That would be instructive to know.

Whoops - I see that you mentioned what you tried and liked in your first post.

Redemption is sourced from MGP which is 95% rye. Woodford is only 53% rye so there's going to be a big profile difference.

Best options for you to try are other MGP ryes such as Dickel which was already mentioned and Bulleit.

Lots of newer rye drinkers who start with MGP rye believe that rye is supposed to taste like that but historically, rye whiskey has had a much lower rye content. Woodford, Sazerac, Ritt, Pikesville, WT 101 Rye, and Russell's Reserve Rye are all in the "barely legal" rye category. Keep that in mind as you expand. They will not taste like MGP rye because they're not supposed to. I went through the same journey.

• 1 month later...

Basil Hayden Rye - ugh!  Had some funky cough medicine taste in the middle of an unimpressive palate after promising nothing in a non-descript nose.  Finish was short and bland.  First whiskey I've dumped on the ground in a long time.   No Bueno!   :wacko:

• I like it 1

On 3/5/2017 at 7:07 PM, 0895 said:

High west.

Double Rye!

&

Rendezvous Rye

Kinda got more back into Scotch with the bourbon world, but I always thought HW is some good stuff..maybe it has changed. I didn't like Beam Pre-Prohibition Rye, and I generally like beam products

Edited by weller_tex
Misunderstoof post

The High West (sourced) ryes, I think are wonderful.

Their bourbon (sourced or otherwise) has never done anything for me.

If you like scotch, you should try the HW "Campfire".

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 6:39 PM, 0895 said:

The High West (sourced) ryes, I think are wonderful.

Their bourbon (sourced or otherwise) has never done anything for me.

If you like scotch, you should try the HW "Campfire".

Have you had HW Bourye? I think it's my favorite HW product. I've had DR and Rendezvous as well. Haven't had their straight bourbon though.

2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Have you had HW Bourye? I think it's my favorite HW product. I've had DR and Rendezvous as well. Haven't had their straight bourbon though.

Yeah.  I've tried most of their spectrum.  For whatever reason, the Rendezvous and double rye (and their variants: yippie, midwinter, barrel selects, etc) are the only ones that do much for me.

The bourye is fine, I could suffer though it, but why is it $70?

It tastes about $35 boring to me.  Just nothing exciting.

...different strokes though.

I've been hesitant to pick up the bourye because of the price, and several uninspiring reviews

For my first post I will concur on the the Rendezvous, but to me it tastes more like a bourbon than other rye whiskey.  I also like Michter's Rye and Sazerac. 

I have had several pours of WP10 (Whistle pig) thats a 100% rye sourced from Canada and about 80 bucks a bottle. While I haven't pulled the trigger on a bottle purchase yet I have thoroughly enjoyed every pour I have had, I do like a high spice presentation in a rye and the 100% rye brings it. My neighbor with whom I share many bourbons is not a fan of the profile so we keep tasting through my collection as he tries various bourbons and  I  assist him in getting rid of that "awful WP rye" LOL!! I will get my own at some point as I really like it.

• I like it 1

For my first post I will concur on the the Rendezvous, but to me it tastes more like a bourbon than other rye whiskey.  I also like Michter's Rye and Sazerac. 

The young MGP rye stands out as different, but most 51% ryes (Beam, HH, WT) taste very similar to high rye bourbon (4R, SAOS) The HWRR is a unique-ish blend of both.

I have had several pours of WP10 (Whistle pig) thats a 100% rye sourced from Canada and about 80 bucks a bottle. While I haven't pulled the trigger on a bottle purchase yet I have thoroughly enjoyed every pour I have had, I do like a high spice presentation in a rye and the 100% rye brings it. My neighbor with whom I share many bourbons is not a fan of the profile so we keep tasting through my collection as he tries various bourbons and  I  assist him in getting rid of that "awful WP rye" LOL!! I will get my own at some point as I really like it.

I've only tried the WP10 once, and I mostly got toasted marshmallow. It was pleasant, but I don't remember more than slight baking spice (maybe).

I also find the Woodford Reserve Rye to taste fairly pedestrian.

I really enjoy Pikesville, High West Double Rye, and Willett Rye.

My father-in-law hates Ryes and received a bottle of this from a friend who works at Brown Foreman, so I am TOFTT.

c62e4ce10f6915b26453d1639e0f65e0.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

If you shop around online you can find WP10 for $55-60, I think I paid as little as $52 for a bottle recently. You can find barrel proof store picks of WP for $75-85 as well. I got a 120 proof store pick from Stagecoach Liqours which I find absolutely fantastic, everything I love about WhistplePig 10 but cranked up to 11.

Edited by EarthQuake

if it is available in your area and you are OK with a higher price point, the CEHT Rye is a must try.

• 5 months later...

I posted in another thread how lousy JD Rye was and now I have to add Bare Kuckle American Rye to the piss poor list. It’s 90 proof but it has no substance to it. I don’t get any spice to it other than some vague alcohol taste. I am thankful that I bought the 50 ml bottle ($2.99) instead of the 750 which goes for an astounding $45.99 for what is a truly awful rye.

Edited by DCFan

Lawrenceburg (LDI), Beam, Heaven Hill, Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace make enough good rye for me to make do. 

When I do feel like stepping out, I can make some pretty good time with a Canadian (or two;)).   

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2017 at 8:56 PM, EarthQuake said:

If you shop around online you can find WP10 for $55-60, I think I paid as little as $52 for a bottle recently. You can find barrel proof store picks of WP for $75-85 as well. I got a 120 proof store pick from Stagecoach Liqours which I find absolutely fantastic, everything I love about WhistplePig 10 but cranked up to 11.

Recently grabbed a WP BP from a local shop, either I misread the pricing a looong time ago when I first looked at WP or the pricing has actually come down. Love the standard 10/100 and looking forward to this private selection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.