Welcome to Straightbourbon.com™

Straightbourbon.com is the internet's foremost source of curated bourbon discussion. A free membership gets you access to additional forums, real time chat, our private messaging system, half a million posts, and thousands of fellow enthusiasts. Join today, and become part of a vibrant community dedicated to America's whiskey.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeTerp

Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished

While looking at the release calendar over at Breaking Bourbon I noticed that A Smith Bowman filed a label for Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished.  I haven't heard anything about this one and can't seem to find other mentions of it anywhere.  Does anyone have any info about this?  I'm curious if this is supposed to be a limited release along the Abraham Bowman line or if this is looking to be more of a permanent line extension.

I am not sure, but it looks like they are releasing bourbons named after each brother. I sure would like to try a bottle if I see one here after it comes out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

It is going to be a regular ongoing release.  I believe its supposed to be 4 years old then finished in port barrels for a period of time.  Last I heard it was going to come out around the July timeframe

Edited by VAGentleman

1 hour ago, VAGentleman said:

It is going to be a regular ongoing release.  I believe its supposed to be 4 years old then finished in port barrels for a period of time.  Last I heard it was going to come out around the July timeframe

Thank you. That is good to know. I'm curious why they chose to finish a  4 year old. If I remember correctly from my tour I thought they said the small batch is around 7 years old and the single barrel is around 10 years old.  It would be interesting to see the finish with an older whiskey, but I know they've done that with previous Abraham Bowman releases that were more limited. 

Good question, I guess they decided they liked the taste at that age.  The older Abraham ones were both very good

I wonder where it will fall with regard to price? Were I a skeptical person I might think that they are looking to make hay while the sun shines. Why not sell a 4yo for about the same price that the 8, 10 or 12 yo whiskey has been going for in the past now that you have a sufficient following to pull it off! Especially when 8, 10 or 12 yo whiskey is getting harder and harder to come by.

Fortunately, I am not a skeptic...

I've heard rumors it should come in between $35-40, basically between the Bowman Brothers and John J.  That would make it cheaper than  Angels Envy for what thats worth

It will be something that I'm interested in trying (although I hope it's better than Angel's Envy since I didn't care much for that one).

Thanks for all the great info VA Gentleman.

13 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

I've heard rumors it should come in between $35-40, basically between the Bowman Brothers and John J.  That would make it cheaper than  Angels Envy for what thats worth

If true that would be a better price point than I expected. Might be at least worth a shot given there other stuff has been pretty good. I am curious if they will indicate at least approximately how long it spends in port. I am presuming this is similar whiskey in that it is still BT distillate they have redistilled but perhaps that is not the case.

Although there must be tons of "Walking Stick" from Barton that could use some finishing to improve it a little....

21 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If true that would be a better price point than I expected. Might be at least worth a shot given there other stuff has been pretty good. I am curious if they will indicate at least approximately how long it spends in port. I am presuming this is similar whiskey in that it is still BT distillate they have redistilled but perhaps that is not the case.

Although there must be tons of "Walking Stick" from Barton that could use some finishing to improve it a little....

My understanding is that it is the redistilled BT ditillate.  Their own distillate from the new still is only about a year and a half old

Could be an interesting contrast to their previous two other port finished Bowmans released under their special releases, both of which were significantly older than this.  I think those were 8 and 12yr?  The Bowman boys have shown a deft hand in their finishing tinkering so far, so I am most interested in trying this.  I like exploring the finished branch of the bourbon tree, and have enjoyed...most, with the ports being my favorite type.