Jump to content
JoeTerp

Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished

Recommended Posts

JoeTerp

While looking at the release calendar over at Breaking Bourbon I noticed that A Smith Bowman filed a label for Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished.  I haven't heard anything about this one and can't seem to find other mentions of it anywhere.  Does anyone have any info about this?  I'm curious if this is supposed to be a limited release along the Abraham Bowman line or if this is looking to be more of a permanent line extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel

I am not sure, but it looks like they are releasing bourbons named after each brother. I sure would like to try a bottle if I see one here after it comes out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman
Posted (edited)

It is going to be a regular ongoing release.  I believe its supposed to be 4 years old then finished in port barrels for a period of time.  Last I heard it was going to come out around the July timeframe

Edited by VAGentleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
1 hour ago, VAGentleman said:

It is going to be a regular ongoing release.  I believe its supposed to be 4 years old then finished in port barrels for a period of time.  Last I heard it was going to come out around the July timeframe

Thank you. That is good to know. I'm curious why they chose to finish a  4 year old. If I remember correctly from my tour I thought they said the small batch is around 7 years old and the single barrel is around 10 years old.  It would be interesting to see the finish with an older whiskey, but I know they've done that with previous Abraham Bowman releases that were more limited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman

Good question, I guess they decided they liked the taste at that age.  The older Abraham ones were both very good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

I wonder where it will fall with regard to price? Were I a skeptical person I might think that they are looking to make hay while the sun shines. Why not sell a 4yo for about the same price that the 8, 10 or 12 yo whiskey has been going for in the past now that you have a sufficient following to pull it off! Especially when 8, 10 or 12 yo whiskey is getting harder and harder to come by.

 

Fortunately, I am not a skeptic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman

I've heard rumors it should come in between $35-40, basically between the Bowman Brothers and John J.  That would make it cheaper than  Angels Envy for what thats worth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

It will be something that I'm interested in trying (although I hope it's better than Angel's Envy since I didn't care much for that one).

 

Thanks for all the great info VA Gentleman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
13 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

I've heard rumors it should come in between $35-40, basically between the Bowman Brothers and John J.  That would make it cheaper than  Angels Envy for what thats worth

 

If true that would be a better price point than I expected. Might be at least worth a shot given there other stuff has been pretty good. I am curious if they will indicate at least approximately how long it spends in port. I am presuming this is similar whiskey in that it is still BT distillate they have redistilled but perhaps that is not the case.

 

Although there must be tons of "Walking Stick" from Barton that could use some finishing to improve it a little....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman
21 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

If true that would be a better price point than I expected. Might be at least worth a shot given there other stuff has been pretty good. I am curious if they will indicate at least approximately how long it spends in port. I am presuming this is similar whiskey in that it is still BT distillate they have redistilled but perhaps that is not the case.

 

Although there must be tons of "Walking Stick" from Barton that could use some finishing to improve it a little....

My understanding is that it is the redistilled BT ditillate.  Their own distillate from the new still is only about a year and a half old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Could be an interesting contrast to their previous two other port finished Bowmans released under their special releases, both of which were significantly older than this.  I think those were 8 and 12yr?  The Bowman boys have shown a deft hand in their finishing tinkering so far, so I am most interested in trying this.  I like exploring the finished branch of the bourbon tree, and have enjoyed...most, with the ports being my favorite type.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

I was at Bowman on Saturday and during our tour I noticed in the dump room a large number of Port barrels, at the end in talking with the staff we were told that they will be using those for a new four year product that will actually be replacing Virginia Gentleman, I'm not sure if they meant in price or just that will be the destination for the 4 year liquid they have.  Also no idea of distribution, either way interesting to see. Tried to post some photos but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

When I was there a few months ago they basically said that this product was ready and they were just awaiting clearance from the VA ABC, which only happens quarterly. I'm hoping it goes out in 4Q. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

When I was there a few months ago they basically said that this product was ready and they were just awaiting clearance from the VA ABC, which only happens quarterly. I'm hoping it goes out in 4Q. 

 

IMG_20170812_113939645.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman
12 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

When I was there a few months ago they basically said that this product was ready and they were just awaiting clearance from the VA ABC, which only happens quarterly. I'm hoping it goes out in 4Q. 

I talked to them about a week ago and they are shooting for the first week in Sept ,  They had some issues with getting the bottles or it would have been out already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
33 minutes ago, VAGentleman said:

I talked to them about a week ago and they are shooting for the first week in Sept ,  They had some issues with getting the bottles or it would have been out already

That's great to hear. I'm definitely interested in trying this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arkady

Does anyone have any insight into the original whiskey? My understanding is that they re-distill BT juice, but I'm wondering which mash bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
2 hours ago, Arkady said:

Does anyone have any insight into the original whiskey? My understanding is that they re-distill BT juice, but I'm wondering which mash bill.

Mash Bill #2 is what most sources claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman
1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Mash Bill #2 is what most sources claim.

I've been told MB #1 by Brian Prewitt the MD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, VAGentleman said:

I've been told MB #1 by Brian Prewitt the MD

Well that is certainly a good word to go by!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arkady

I've heard that they use both, but Prewitt would be the best source for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

I was browsing the VA ABC site tonight and noticed that this is now listed up there and priced at $39.99.  There not currently any stock in the stores, but it should arrive in the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lecatpuke

Had the opportunity to try this last weekend at a local event with Brian. They did a great job of turning the Abraham finished releases into a regular feature. Definitely worth the price point and won't disappoint whether you've had their finished bourbons or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
7 minutes ago, lecatpuke said:

Had the opportunity to try this last weekend at a local event with Brian. They did a great job of turning the Abraham finished releases into a regular feature. Definitely worth the price point and won't disappoint whether you've had their finished bourbons or not. 

Thanks for sharing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VAGentleman

This is now out at the distillery.  They said it would be in the ABC stores in VA in the next 1-2 weeks. 

Its a little thin not hot at all. The nose has some sweetness to it but the palate isn't close to too sweet. Some fruitiness comes out mid palate, maybe plum? Fades to a nice spiciness and maybe some maple syrup on the very end. Not bad. Wish it was a little higher proof(its 92). You can definitely tell its 4 years old as it doesn't have the depth of some of the older aged Abrahams that were port finished. I definitely like this better tan angels envy.  Lets see how I like it over the next week or two

Edited by VAGentleman
changed 102 to 1-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×